Are you Noticing much higher levels of New Cents ?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Are you Noticing much higher levels of New Cents ?

Postby collector1924 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Today I am suddenly noticing much higher levels of the new pennies those that have the back that looks like a shield.
I am able to pick some of these out quickly to avoid having to put them thru the ryedale..
This makes me think that indeed the penny sorters are having an effect on the pennies in circulation..
collector1924

Re: Are you Noticing much higher levels of New Cents ?

Postby PennyBoy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:45 pm

It may depend on what area you're in.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby collector1924 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:04 pm

I Live in the Boston Mass area.
collector1924

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:51 pm

It go in waves.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Im south of Boston and have not noticed any change lately...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tinhorn » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:57 pm

One of my pickup banks has been getting more boxes of new coins. Because they're cool with me they'll pick out the boxes of oldies, but sometimes I only get about half the boxes I expect.

Off topic--I'm also south of Boston, and I think it's about time we had another New England powwow!
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aristobolus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:15 am

I think possibly that besides the centennial of the Lincoln Penny, the new reverse design is there so as to make the shock lessened when they try to abolish the one cent denomination in the near future. It will be easier they think for people to give up "shields" than "memorials". Of course it is all theory, and I could be wrong; but the new reverse just does not grab me like the memorial design. I actually even prefer the latter to the old wheat reverse.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:25 am

I have been tracking the new shield pennies in my counts since I started sorting boxes. I sort by hand and I've only been at it for a few months so I don't have any real good stats yet. The overall percentage for me so far has been 9.46% with a low of 6.96% and a high of 17.88%. Maybe the data will be more meaningful in the future as a sort more. Eventually when there is a large enough percentage of non-Memorial reverses showing up it may be easier to hand sort by reverse design and then only date check the pile of memorial ones.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:43 am

tinhorn wrote:One of my pickup banks has been getting more boxes of new coins. Because they're cool with me they'll pick out the boxes of oldies, but sometimes I only get about half the boxes I expect.

Off topic--I'm also south of Boston, and I think it's about time we had another New England powwow!

Agreed! Ill start a thread
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PennyBoy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:52 am

aristobolus wrote:I think possibly that besides the centennial of the Lincoln Penny, the new reverse design is there so as to make the shock lessened when they try to abolish the one cent denomination in the near future. It will be easier they think for people to give up "shields" than "memorials". Of course it is all theory, and I could be wrong; but the new reverse just does not grab me like the memorial design. I actually even prefer the latter to the old wheat reverse.

I just thought it was there because they changed it every 50 years?
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverhedgehog » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:17 am

Three of my pick up banks had only boxes of new pennies this past week in the Buffalo, NY area. They are all branches of the same bank.
Property taxes for school systems are due in two weeks so the CWR rolls should be picking up in the next two weeks. I noticed that last year at this time I was finding solid rolls of wheats and copper CWR at my pick up banks. I am also waiting for the Christmas shopping Canadians to arrive and start driving up the copper Canadian percentage in local circulation.
silverhedgehog
Penny Sorter Member

Postby GTOJohn » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:12 am

over the last couple of months, i have busted open a bunch of boxes of 'shield' pennies and depositied them with my zincs.
i got tired of seeing the them pile up
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing