junk coins question

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

junk coins question

Postby hejira11 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:49 pm

If I have $10.00 in 90% silver quarters that are all in about the same condition (just above slick) can I keep the Barber's, the SLQ's and Washingtons together, or is there a good reason to keep them seperate.

Thanks
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Re: junk coins question

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:56 pm

hejira11 wrote:If I have $10.00 in 90% silver quarters that are all in about the same condition (just above slick) can I keep the Barber's, the SLQ's and Washingtons together, or is there a good reason to keep them seperate.

Thanks

Except for the later Washingtons, dated after some of the Supreme Court decisions, I don't think they like to associate with each other... Eventually some of them got used to being together...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:58 pm

68Camaro wrote:
hejira11 wrote:If I have $10.00 in 90% silver quarters that are all in about the same condition (just above slick) can I keep the Barber's, the SLQ's and Washingtons together, or is there a good reason to keep them seperate.

Thanks

Except for the later Washingtons, dated after some of the Supreme Court decisions, I don't think they like to associate with each other... Eventually some of them got used to being together...

Some of the more subtle comments might fly over our heads.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:31 pm

OK - I guess I'll get serious. I"m not aware of any reason why your coins shouldn't reside in the same roll, unless you've got a serious numismatic coin, in which case you should keep it in a case.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby aristobolus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks

If you plan on accumulating more of these, then it might be worthwhile to eventually group them separately. Slick Barbers tend to bring in more that their younger brothers, and so do SLQ's...
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby hejira11 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:18 pm

Thank you Aristobolus. That is what I needed to hear. :)
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:35 pm

I keep them together, but when I get enough to finish a roll of one type, I separate those out into their own roll. I think, should they ever need to be sold, it makes it easier. Also, I have found that usually about 22 of the Barber halves often fit into the plastic half dollar tubes... which means they are probably light weight... so better for numismatic purposes, but less silver, when talking a strict silver junk / by weight sale.
uthminsta

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Coin shops buy the slicks (Barbers, SLQs and the Washingtons) for Ag content. They often keep them off to the side until they're selling a larger lot. For example, when a $500 face bag is sold it's usually weighed before shipping. If the bag is full of '64 Kennedys or Roos dimes, then the weight might be above the acceptable range. (That's because some many of the coins have very little wear, of course.) Standard practice is then to substitute slick Barbers or Walkers as well as the almost wafer-thin Barber and Mercury dimes just to bring down the weight a little.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby agmoose » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:41 pm

I keep them separate, and for the SLQs I separate by dated vs. slick and then again by mintmarks. Maybe I'm hoping one day someone will figure out how to decide if any of those slick S mint marks are 1923's. lol. I even have a roll of 1917 slicks......and I'm 100% sure none are 1916's. But I keep hoping to trip over one some day.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:58 am

I'd keep them together until I had enough to make it worth sorting, simply because they are easier to keep track of as one bunch. Maybe drop them in a glass jar with some pennies, nuts, washers, and bolts to keep them company so they look like just pocket change.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals