Good Time to buy?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Good Time to buy?

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:36 am

I have zero Silver and was not going to buy it when price was high so I was just sorting copper pennies. Of course my internet service was down (thanks verizon) when prices must have been at the lowest, is now a good time to buy? I only have a couple hundred to invest into silver until spring time.
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Good Time to buy?

Postby Treetop » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:51 am

Honestly your answers will probably go from buy ASAP, to wait until it hits 25 or 20.... No one truly knows where its likely to go though. Personally Id rather buy now risking that it might go lower then buy later knowing its likely to be up. (although even that is an unknown apparently)
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:52 am

If I had no silver, I would buy some ASAP. You might not want to go all in right now, but I think it is a good time to start. If it goes up, then great at least you got a start buying at the bottom. If it goes down, then you can just buy some more and bring down your average cost. You would have a hard time finding someone on here that is going to tell you that it's a bad investment in the long term.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:06 pm

Your window of opportunity to trade Federal reserve notes (a decaying currency) for tangible wealth (SILVER) is going to close soon. I don't know when. Just buy some and don't look at it as it's value going down or up day to day. It's long term protection. Buy. Save some more hundreds and buy more. Repeat process until unable.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:07 pm

methinks it is a good time to buy.
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby justj2k78 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:08 pm

For me, it's always a good time to buy. I'm not a good saver. That's one reason this PMs appeal to me - I can't spend them easily. So if I had $300 to put towards Ag, and I decided to wait until silver was $2x.xx/oz, when the time came, the money would be gone. So when I have some money, I buy. If I get one ounce, or one hundred... not the point. I'm adding to my stack.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby schockergd » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:27 pm

Find a number you're comfortable with spending , spend half. If it hits $33 buy more, if it goes down to $27 , buy more.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mercuryman » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:44 pm

Don't get caught up in " ill buy if it drops to 25" or "ill buy if it drops to 28" most of these people miss the train and lose out. Before you know it silver will be back to 40+ an ounce. In a few year's it will be irrelevant if you bought at 28 or 45. Your buying precious metal's for worthless pieces of paper. I bought at $50, and i will do it again.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:48 pm

Last edited by RichardPenny43 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby BamaJoe » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:11 pm

It's ALWAYS a good time to buy - I could care less what the current price is. In the future you will look back and wish you could get it for that price again regardless of what price you pay today.

I've bought silver every month for 10 years now - sometimes alot, sometimes just a few ounces. I can remember being told I was absolutely nuts for paying the outlandish price of $6/oz for it and that I should wait for the dip down to more "reasonable" prices. I don't regret a single purchase.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:13 pm

BamaJoe wrote:It's ALWAYS a good time to buy - I could care less what the current price is. In the future you will look back and wish you could get it for that price again regardless of what price you pay today.

I've bought silver every month for 10 years now - sometimes alot, sometimes just a few ounces. I can remember being told I was absolutely nuts for paying the outlandish price of $6/oz for it and that I should wait for the dip down to more "reasonable" prices. I don't regret a single purchase.

Bamajoe has it FLAWLESSLY! Have a consistent strategy and you will beat the "market timers" in the long run 100% of the time!
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks for the advice, I am going to check with a coin guy at a local flea market and see what he is selling silver for. I would like to start buying an ounce each week until work gets slow this winter
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:04 pm

stonewallrabbitry wrote:Thanks for the advice, I am going to check with a coin guy at a local flea market and see what he is selling silver for. I would like to start buying an ounce each week until work gets slow this winter

A set weight might not be the optimum path. "Cost averaging" seems the best, ie, budget a set amount (say, maybe $50?) to spend on PM, silver or other, per week/month/every other payday. That's the target. Maybe the best purchase at that time is $45, maybe it's $55. Maybe you get $2 face, maybe $3 face. You automatically get less at higher costs and more at lower. Easier to budget a set dollar amount than a vague "whatever an ounce is going to cost when I'm ready to buy".
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silverflake » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:54 pm

Guys, maybe I am thinking too SHTF-ish here but I say just buy what you can, when you can (which amounts to dollar cost averaging) and more importantly WHILE you can. I am no economist nor seer but there's going to come a day when either FRNs collapse, or silver gets out of range of the common man or you just won't be able to find anyone willing to sell it to you. Or all of the above.
Again, 2 cents from silverflake.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Best time to buy is when your wife is not watching! ;)
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:23 pm

balz wrote:Best time to buy is when your wife is not watching! ;)

LOL.

If the economy goes bad, silver will be valued as a PM. If the economy gets rescued, silver will be valuable for electronics.

Maybe it goes up a little, maybe it goes up a lot. I doubt it can go down much ---->in the long run<-----

"Short run"? Them that knows ain't talken.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:12 am

balz wrote:Best time to buy is when your wife is not watching! ;)

So for those of us that don't have a master er I mean wife anytime is a good time
to buy. ;)
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby moneydog » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:06 pm

stonewallrabbitry wrote:I have zero Silver and was not going to buy it when price was high so I was just sorting copper pennies. Of course my internet service was down (thanks verizon) when prices must have been at the lowest, is now a good time to buy? I only have a couple hundred to invest into silver until spring time.

buy, buy, buy :)
moneydog
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SoFa » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:35 pm

Wait til next week, then buy a little.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby Steel Talon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:52 pm

FWIW..
Buy 2 to 3 coins a pay check Depending: that will be 48 to 72 troy ounces in one year.
Steel Talon

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:21 am

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals