Where to hide a stash?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Where to hide a stash?

Postby Beau » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:21 pm

when hurricane Katrina came through it blew the south side off of the bank where my box was located. I could see my box sticking out of the bank, from the street.
I had a close friend that was over the vault, I called him over to the Police line, and told him what I could see, he knew it was my box and what was in it.
he talked to the FBI and signed some papers and I signed too.
we walked up to the bank with a step latter, he pulled the box part way out, and told the FBI agent what was in the box and it was going to be heavy [large box] an FBI agent got another latter and helped him.
They filmed everything from start to finish, including the water in the box, and all my blue silver.
They filmed me signing a release to take my box all the silver, they filmed the FBI putting the box in my car trunk, with my box number showing all the way to my car, I signed the last release and brought it home.
everything was ruined so I have no silver now.
I lost everything [silver], it all turned a blue color.
that is when I learned that a bank box was not insured.

I sold the silver for less than 1/4 what I had in it, to a refiner.

I wish I could have took pictures of what was in other boxes in the rain.
I didn`t know we have so many rich people here until then.
you guys may have lots of gold, but I saw more than I ever thought was in this area of the country, in just a dozen or so boxes, plus some in all boxes.

LIVE AND LEARN.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby kidman232 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:35 pm

neil- in my opinion way to much crazyness happens in the name of the lord for my taste, anyone who seems to be on either extreme of the subject tends to make me scratch my head. if people stuck with the golden rule and quit trying to read so much into everything, I think the world would be a far better place for everyone.
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby aloneibreak » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:43 pm

Double3 wrote:You don't have to tell them what you are putting in there.

They are not insured but what really is gonna happen to them? They are locked up in a fireproof room.

Sure I guess the banks could shut down and they take all your stuff. Unlikely

id recommend reading into Operation Rize ...

dont say it cant happen here ...
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:19 pm

kidman232 wrote:neil- in my opinion way to much crazyness happens in the name of the lord for my taste, anyone who seems to be on either extreme of the subject tends to make me scratch my head. if people stuck with the golden rule and quit trying to read so much into everything, I think the world would be a far better place for everyone.

it doesnt matter, i love you man, THATS the "golden rule", or the 2nd Royal Commandment, which is "Love your neighbor as yourself", but there's a tragic tension inherent in that, the heart of man is dark, and deceitful, beyond cure....and thats why its called "free will"...in our own hearts, that secret place, no one else can go, we are FREE to make the choice, a son of Light, or a son of darkness?. its as simple as that.....all that other "crazyness in the name of the lord", is just hay and stubble that will burn, watch.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:23 pm

kidman232 wrote:neil- in my opinion way to much crazyness happens in the name of the lord for my taste, anyone who seems to be on either extreme of the subject tends to make me scratch my head. if people stuck with the golden rule and quit trying to read so much into everything, I think the world would be a far better place for everyone.

Hey Kidman where did the golden rule come from?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby justj2k78 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:26 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
justj2k78 wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:one, i dont have to worry, i dont own silver.

two-9mm gold dot LE rounds, .556 mm M855's, 7.62X39mm.

three-questions like this make me leery of you, no offense "needler420" .....even a moniker containing the number's 420, make me leery, for those that dont know, "420" is freek short hand for cannabis, and in these days, what appears to be white may be black, and what is black may appear to be white.

that is all. careful shipmates.

Guy's asking for help keeping his stash secure, I'm not sure I understand your response? Can you explain?

"Just", i write this with the UTMOST RESPECT, and in a calm "voice", just so you know where my heart is, ok? the question is bogus, immature and ill-advised,"where to hide a stash" To even ask such a sensitive topic on a non secure mode of communication is foolish, at best, and devious at its worst. The bailing wire is coming off this whole thing quickly, i know you know this, but this isnt a game anymore, things are going to get deadly serious very soon, and the old way of life is going away. i realize you might think me "paranoid", but just be very careful. Not everyone on cyber forums are who they seem,. and seemingly innocent statements can take a turn for the worst case scenario one can imagine. i parse things into two camps, "profitable" or "non profitable", and its becoming clearer to me, that public postings on such a sensitive topic, ie. hard currency, PM's , etc, is falling into the non profitable exercise. i enjoy this fellowship, but i believe a very ill wind blows, where security trumps non secure cyber fellowship. Breaks my heart to say that, but its not a game anymore. very respectfully, neil

Of course respect, just wondered wear you were coming from, now I understand the point you were making in your previous post.

BUT, I disagree. Frequently we have discussions on where we may "hide" our stashes, and I gave the OP a link to our last foray into that topic, a little under a month ago. Nothing about his post concerned me, but hey, what do I know?

For the record to answer the question:

It's no so much WHERE you hide your stash. You need to make your fortress a hard place to spend time in. For example, should you care to enter my place, you would have to go through locked doors, after breaching those, you would encounter 3 dogs, 2 of which are large, one of which is loud. You would encounter a cat, who would weave between your legs as you walked, in an attempt to kill you. Somewhere between door entry and dog attack, I would begin (and probably end) shooting at you. If you are still able to enter the house, go ahead and search.

Nope. Not foolproof. But it's a pretty good plan. And anyway, who says I even keep my incredibly small stack at my house??? :lol: Might just be a big waste of time!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:37 pm

It's a weird thread. I'm kinda with neil when I read the title, regardless of who wrote it, I thought' No Way'.

You guys know too much about me already, which was my choice. Why would I give you a clue about my 'stash'.

Even if it was on my property, it would be best for everyone involved to make sure I'm not home if you come looking for it.

That bold individual better be prepared for a very serious situation.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Treetop » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:59 pm

Im not worried, it would probably take super powers to find more then 10 percent of my stash... I always have a small amount somewhat accessible. I could leave for a week and it would be perfectly fine.

I live in a volcanic area. metal detectors are meaningless and its a large area. metal detectors and even compasses just go goofy.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:09 pm

neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby morris14ccm » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:35 pm

Mine is not really "hidden" and I don't think I'll bother until it gets bigger. (8 or so ounces now, college student) I've got it in an ammo can that I made a lock for, not very hard to get into it.
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby justj2k78 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:04 am

neilgin1 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACfIv8UUJag

this is not a game.

So you're saying Needler is a machine from the future? :lol:
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:08 am

justj2k78 wrote:

this is not a game.

Dude, that was funny.
Thogey

Postby justj2k78 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:11 am

Thogey wrote:
justj2k78 wrote:

this is not a game.

Dude, that was funny.

I get goofy after midnight ;)
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:23 am

HonestAbe wrote:I guess you just don't want to think about getting old, but you know what? It creeps up on you and you forget.

Reminds me of a webcomic a friend of mine sent me a few days ago:

http://pandyland.net/51/

(language warning ;) )

Funny timing on that. :o
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby needler420 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:20 am

needler420
Penny Sorter Member

Postby dan53 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:07 am

What about hiding your stash in plain sight? Like up on a cupboard shelf? You could buy a few cans of beans....eat the beans....clean the cans and stash the coins in the cans. Place cans high enough so the removed top cannot be seen. Be sure to mix cans with other cans of vegetables. What thief would bother stealing canned peas, beans, potatos,....etc, etc? Is this a good or bad idea?
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rickygee » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:59 am

dan53 wrote:What about hiding your stash in plain sight? Like up on a cupboard shelf? You could buy a few cans of beans....eat the beans....clean the cans and stash the coins in the cans. Place cans high enough so the removed top cannot be seen. Be sure to mix cans with other cans of vegetables. What thief would bother stealing canned peas, beans, potatos,....etc, etc? Is this a good or bad idea?

Bad idea if burglars/looters are hungry. Yeah, it could happen.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:32 am

I keep mine on my boat.. What could go wrong there?
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:54 am

Diggin4copper wrote:I keep mine on my boat.. What could go wrong there?

Well for starters, the boat could float away if you dont tie it to the dock :lol:
TXBullion

Postby Hades12 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:47 am

Diggin4copper wrote:I keep mine on my boat.. What could go wrong there?

HeHe,

A guy I worked with spent a year searching, looking, talking, to buy a boat. He kept it in a slip somewhere in FL (we were in Ga) he would drive down on the weekends to work and repair it. Spent a ton and had it just right. on the bottom of the boat was a water inlet for cooling I think, it was a 3" inlet, It broke off. His beilg pump had a 2" inlet/outlet. When he got there it was down a good bit and the CB and electronics shelf was just going under water.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:56 am

Thogey wrote:Hey Kidman where did the golden rule come from?

It’s an evolutionary social trait.

But, if one doesn’t believe in evolution, then it most likely came from Zarathustra, unless one adheres to a later date for the Pahlavi texts, in which case the honor would probably go to Confucius. But, there are some (although this is more of a “faith-based” position) who believe that the Mahabharata was compiled from ancient existing oral traditions (that existed outside the Vedas), or from ancient reclaimed texts; in which case Hinduism would probably be the source. Whoever/whatever the source, it most likely originated in India or Asia (as far as being put in writing), but was fairly prominent in quite a few religious and philosophical traditions starting in the 5th and 6th centuries BCE.

-------------------------------
On the topic of the thread, I'm with Neil and Thogey (et.al.). You shouldn't disclose your hiding places to anyone other than people you want to have access to your goodies (i.e. significant other, parent, lawyer, etc.). If a hiding place is “popular,” (i.e. the freezer, under the mattress, etc.) then you shouldn’t use it. Once a hiding place has been vocalized, it then becomes less “secret,” more popular, and less secure.

-------------------------------
justj2k78 wrote:You would encounter a cat, who would weave between your legs as you walked, in an attempt to kill you.

:lol:

------------------------------
rickygee wrote:
dan53 wrote:What about hiding your stash in plain sight? Like up on a cupboard shelf? You could buy a few cans of beans....eat the beans....clean the cans and stash the coins in the cans. Place cans high enough so the removed top cannot be seen. Be sure to mix cans with other cans of vegetables. What thief would bother stealing canned peas, beans, potatos,....etc, etc? Is this a good or bad idea?

Bad idea if burglars/looters are hungry. Yeah, it could happen.

http://blogs.discovery.com/stupid-criminals/2011/09/burglar-caught-while-making-breakfast.html
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:30 pm

I knew a guy who's house was burglarized and they stole ALL his food and just a few things of real value. Go figure....

Since I have nothing of value to hide, I have no hiding places....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby dan53 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:24 am

Something marked "biological hazard". Like you see at the doctor's office.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby texcollex » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:37 pm

dan53 wrote:Something marked "biological hazard". Like you see at the doctor's office.

Then they steal that hoping to get needles to re-use.
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby wbeck » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:55 am

I have a few different fake products with some things in them. Fake Boraxo can, books, etc. Fact is someone COULD find something no matter where you hide it. Reality is if you split it up, take different tactics with how you go about hiding it, they will almost certainly not find it all. So for me, some hidden in plain site, some buried in a closet, etc is good enough.
wbeck
Penny Sorter Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals