Awesome roll on ebay

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Awesome roll on ebay

Postby Morsecode » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:05 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheat-Roll-w-D- ... 0733341860

:twisted:

I'm holding out for the 1913 V nick on one end and the 1/4 oz maple leaf on the other.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Awesome roll on ebay

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:29 pm

So it's 48 wheat pennies and two Mercury dimes on the ends and $3.99 to ship. I wouldn't bid more than two bucks for it but there are 8 bids already and its over $10. I see auctions like this all the time and people are buying them. Not me. I'll pass.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:13 pm

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:So it's 48 wheat pennies and two Mercury dimes on the ends and $3.99 to ship. I wouldn't bid more than two bucks for it but there are 8 bids already and its over $10. I see auctions like this all the time and people are buying them. Not me. I'll pass.

We'll see auctions like this 20 years from now if there is still an Ebay. Look at the bright side. If there are truly that many unsearched rolls that make their way to observant sellers' hands, that bodes well for how much more other stuff still sits out there waiting to be founded at banks and garage sales and mis-labeled Ebay auctions.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fb101 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:34 pm

Isn't it amazing how many auctions this guy has had for wheat penny rolls with magic coins on the end? look at the feedbacks.
expensive lessons from this teacher
fb101

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Read some of the feed back comments. I think they are hilarious. Many of them say not what I expected. One guy said "2 dimes and the rest pennies? I Misunderstood". Whats to misunderstand? Anyone with half a brain can see he is putting merc dimes on the end of wheat penny rolls and making a killing. He is taking about $8.00 dollars worth of coins and making between $10.00 to $60.00 a roll. And yet after people get ripped off they still leave him positive feed back. That's what I don't understand.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:41 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheat-Penny-Rol ... 3543401547

*facepalm.jpg* Yeah, what are the odds this guy managed to find an unsearched roll of cents with a Flying Eagle Cent and a steel cent on the end?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby doug » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:19 am

Zero,

He just runs the coins through an automatic coin roller.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:04 am

I like the way he has flattened the ends down. He must be pressing them down on a flat surface trying to make them look like they have been in the roll for 60 years.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:06 am

"There's a sucker born every minute" - PT Barnum
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:14 am

ed_vantage17 wrote:"There's a sucker born every minute" - PT Barnum

I used to feel sorry for people that buy these rolls and other like it on feebay but I don't anymore. Doesn't anybody check the sellers feed back and look at previous sales and what people say about them? One person does not just happen to "FIND" this many rolls with key date coins on the ends.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:36 pm

How can he be sure there are no culls or bent coins as the ad states? Also the auction says it has a merc and a steel cent on the ends and the pics show 2 mercs.. did he package it wrong? Maybe the buyer can send it back claiming "not as described" :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:41 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:How can he be sure there are no culls or bent coins as the ad states? Also the auction says it has a merc and a steel cent on the ends and the pics show 2 mercs.. did he package it wrong? Maybe the buyer can send it back claiming "not as described" :mrgreen:

Considering the amount of shenanigans I hear with buyers on eBay, and eBay's Pro-Buyers stance/F.U. Sellers mentality, I have to wonder how easy it would be to buy a couple of auctions, get the coins, and then complain to eBay about not getting what I want/not getting the coins. It could be easy as pie to shut down these guys quickly.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:40 am

I'm surprised that bad-buyers don't buy these 50 times per day and then return them as "significantly not as described" all day. Meanwhile, changing out the wheats for even worse wheats.

I did an experiment a couple years ago and bought from SEVERAL sellers. I spent a few hundred dollars to see if any rolls were good. I knew I was throwing money down the toilet, but the knowledge was worth it to me.

Answer: All of them were bad. There is ZERO CHANCE that they are real. ZERO.
barrytrot

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:40 am

Just like there is no such thing as "unsearched" bags of wheat pennies. I get a kick out of the guys selling unsearched bags or wheats but yet if you look at their feed back most of their previous sales are all the key date and better date coins that they have pulled out of bags that they are now selling as unsearched.

Makes it hard on guys like me that describe the bags of wheats that are searched and am honest about selling them as searched bags. I have a hard time getting a bid at $189.00 for a bag when all I would have to do is put that magic word in my description (unsearched) and I would get another $30.00 to $40.00 for the bags I am selling. But I won't do that. The bags I sell are searched and I have to be honest and sell them as searched bags.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby exbingoaddict » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:31 am

NDFarmer wrote:Just like there is no such thing as "unsearched" bags of wheat pennies. I get a kick out of the guys selling unsearched bags or wheats but yet if you look at their feed back most of their previous sales are all the key date and better date coins that they have pulled out of bags that they are now selling as unsearched.

Makes it hard on guys like me that describe the bags of wheats that are searched and am honest about selling them as searched bags. I have a hard time getting a bid at $189.00 for a bag when all I would have to do is put that magic word in my description (unsearched) and I would get another $30.00 to $40.00 for the bags I am selling. But I won't do that. The bags I sell are searched and I have to be honest and sell them as searched bags.

NDFarmer, rather have long term relationships then just burn people for a quick buck. Sure you already learned that though.

Bought a bag of 5lb bag "unsearched" wheats that came in a clamped bag that said "texas hoard" from an auction one time. The price wasn't high and I did it for entertainment value and if I could fill any dansco holes. Mostly 40's and 50's, shocking right?
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing