Another new penny sorter

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Another new penny sorter

Postby GGerrands » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Hello all members of the realcent community!

I stumbled into copper penny sorting when I found a silver dime and decided to google its value. That lead me to coinflation, where I noticed the bullion value of a copper cent. (At the time it was almost 3:1 face, in mid-August.) Quickly going through all the pennies I had in the house and finding $1 in copper, I went to my credit union and got $100 in 4 boxes from two branches, placing an order for $100 more the next week. I was hooked. I had stumbled across realcent.org briefly during my initial dime google search, but after emailing a few vendors of copper cents on on Ebay, one was kind enough to send me some packing tips and suggest I look into this forum. So you guys can thank NorthDakotaFarmer for directing me here. I've been looking through this site and the old forum for a few weeks now, and I'd like to thank the community for valuable insight into this strange endeavor. I've enjoyed reading through the posts immensely.

I have $50 of pre 1982 coppers, and I'm about to give it a shot with selling them on Ebay. I plan on including a bonus roll of common date wheaties I found while sorting, bringing the total face value of the lot to $50.50. I appreciate the sticky thread started by HCBTT on shipping these "copper discs"; I'm still a bit unsure exactly how to assemble my shipping box, but I look on this one as a definite learning experience.

I'll update with how the auction turns out, but I wasn't sure if it was a no-no to post auction links in this area of the forum, especially with this being my first post.

Signing out for now from a swamp in Louisiana,

GGErrands
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Another new penny sorter

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Welcome to the insanity! :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverflake » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Welcome, welcome welcome! The information and sharing of ideas here is very rewarding. Great group of guys and a fantastic mix ecclectic characters. You'll be hooked.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 1saved3.11earned » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:46 pm

Welcome to the dark side. When's the Ryedale showing up? :lol:
1saved3.11earned

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:32 am

Welcome to the forum. When selling your copper cents on eBay be sure to factor in all the ebay and PayPal fees when setting your starting price. Sometimes it is tempting to take a gamble and start really low with a real auction. I have copper cents in my hoard bought below face from other members whose auctions didn't go quite as high as they thought they might. Ebay prices are a bit low right now.. especially when you net out the selling costs. There is a specific area in the market section for posting a link to your auction. Good luck! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby NHsorter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:39 am

I don't know if this is the thread that you were saying that you had already seen or not, but it is great. If it is the one that you did already see, then here is the link for anyone else that might be interested.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=201&p=1136&hilit=+package#p1136
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Chief » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Welcome aboard!! Copper sorting is fun and addictive. How have your percentages been in LA?
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby GGerrands » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:39 pm

I just found my dump bank. They offer a free $50 minimum balance checking account with an ATM card. Unfortunately, they prefer the coins rolled, but so far most of the banks with which I've checked have a similar rolling requirement (except my primary source bank-- it has a teller operated counter where you can turn in loose coin). And oh yeah, they refused to give me pennies when I didn't have an account with them.

My copper %age has been about average...I pulled approx $48 in copper out of $250 pennies, but that's not counting all the 1982s I set off to the side or the ~75 cents in wheats I found. One box was a total dud--I went through about 15 of the rolls, found no copper, and decided to give the rest back still rolled. However in that batch of $100 there was another box of approx. 35-40% copper that *almost* made up for it.

I'm working on getting to 10 posts so I can post my ebay link in the marketplace and tell my Indian head find story without having to give it to someone who quotes the noobie rule (It actually occurred years ago, back in 1998, at a McDonald's in a Super Wal*Mart.).
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:27 pm

Welcome. The addiction only gets worse.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby John_doe » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:35 am

Welcome to the hoard! I mean board!
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby thesilvertiger » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:53 am

Welcome to the madness! There are a lot of great people to learn from on this site. Just in case we are traveling around the same swamps, the Capital One in Gonzales has a counter in the lobby that is free to anyone with an account there. Good luck with your searches and Geaux Tigers ! ! !
thesilvertiger
Penny Sorter Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:41 am

Somebody mentioned 'draining the swap' of copper pennies one cup at a time. Looks like you really do want to drain a swap. ;)

Welcome and have fun. Sorting has been one of the cheapest hobbies I’ve found.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby thesilvertiger » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:58 am

Forget the "one cup at a time", I'm trying to drain it one five gallon bucket at a time!
thesilvertiger
Penny Sorter Member

Postby GGerrands » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:17 pm

Geaux Tigers indeed! If I had a penny for every time the honey badger intercepted the ball or got a fumble recovery...

Thanks for the Capitol One tip, but I'm up in the northern part near Shreveport. I'm looking into Hibernia, although it's not in my community. I figure if I drop $1000 at a time a 30 mile drive could be worth it. Meanwhile, I've rolled $75 with the aid of my new MMF counter. Hardly put a dent in the 10,000 wrappers I ordered!
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Common Cents » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:58 pm

Welcome and good luck.

My two cents is that you might want to consider building up a base of coppers to hold on to for the long haul before you rush headlong into the selling thing. Don't take easy availability of pennies for granted, there's a time window before the banks begin to shut us off or start charging exorbitant fees. I would reconsider your plan unless you're really desperate for cash at this point.
Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing