Tombstone poker scene with coins on table

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Tombstone poker scene with coins on table

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Please watch this clip from the movie "Tombstone". View it full screen and freeze it at 0:45. That looks like the reverse side of a Washington quarter to me. This movie was based in the late 1800's and Washington quarters were not minted until 1932... Ooooops! :?

Opinions please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvcYu7COBi4

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I always wondered if any other coin aficionados noticed this.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: Tombstone poker scene with coins on table

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:45 pm

Brits, for some reason LOVE to look for production screw-up's, and there are many, in many films. Next time the credits roll, look in the credits and you'll see "script supervisor", this is USUALLY a woman, who sits near the director, and will note EVERY detail in EVERY take, on her copy of the script, and if she catches anything different from take to take, like lets say in take 1 and 2, the actor was holding a cig in his left hand, 3/4rds smoked, she's the one that makes the call to props, who give the actor a new cig....but in this case, that would be a props dept screw up, but i hate to be disagreeable, but those 2 silver pieces by the left revolver, look fat, like a pair of Morgans...but i dont eat right, so it might be my vitamin C defiency kicking in. great movie though, probably the best Val ever did, and imo any thing Billy Paxton is in , is good.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Didnt see quarters when I stopped it. Love this movie, one of my top 10.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cuag » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Ice Man never did know his coinage, thats why he was never the best pilot. OR Doc Brown gave Val the wrong change when he jumped into the Delorean. OR said Delorean went to 1855 instead of 1955.
cuag

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:03 pm

Hard to tell on my itty-bitty-laptop, but it looks like the reverse of a Walking Liberty Half to me (I think it's too big to be a quarter).
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:29 pm

neilgin1 wrote:Brits, for some reason LOVE to look for production screw-up's, and there are many, in many films. Next time the credits roll, look in the credits and you'll see "script supervisor", this is USUALLY a woman, who sits near the director, and will note EVERY detail in EVERY take, on her copy of the script, and if she catches anything different from take to take, like lets say in take 1 and 2, the actor was holding a cig in his left hand, 3/4rds smoked, she's the one that makes the call to props, who give the actor a new cig....but in this case, that would be a props dept screw up, but i hate to be disagreeable, but those 2 silver pieces by the left revolver, look fat, like a pair of Morgans...but i dont eat right, so it might be my vitamin C defiency kicking in. great movie though, probably the best Val ever did, and imo any thing Billy Paxton is in , is good.

I don't pride myself on finding continuity errors in movies, I just thought these coins looked odd or misplaced. Maybe I'm the one who needs the Vit C :lol:
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:41 pm

I can't tell - doesn't jump out at me as being a washington.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Corsair » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:48 pm

You guys are too drunk, probably just seeing double.

"I have two guns. One for each of you."
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby chant1970 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:49 pm

It’s not a walking liberty the eagle is facing the wrong way, also the body of the bird is running from north to south like on a Washington Quarter as opposed to N.W. to S.E. on a walking liberty. It looks to thick to be a quarter and there doesn’t seam to be any words above the eagle. My guess is prop money.
chant1970

Postby Robarons » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:50 pm

What I spot more is shows and movies created now that are based in the past use today's new designed currency.

For example That 70's show always used the new large portrait bills rather than the old small styles of the period.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Corsair wrote:You guys are too drunk, probably just seeing double.

"I have two guns. One for each of you."

+1 for PC official movie buff ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby VWBEAMER » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:17 pm

They look like giant Washington quarters. I agree that looks like the eagle on the Washington quarter, but the coin looks to be the size of a silver dollar.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:19 pm

Could be a trade dollar maybe......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tradedollar.jpg
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:25 pm

they dont look like silver...looks like dull Zinc or oxidized aluminum to me...but they seem to resemble the trade dollar reverse sorta....either way prop money...thanks for the clip.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals