What do you want them for?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Postby amalekidad » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:14 pm

“What do you want them for :?:
This is what the head teller at WoodForest bank asked me when I went in and asked to order coins today. I said, “I collect coins.” Her reply, “No, we have changed our bank policy. Due to the extreme cost of ordering coins, we will not order for collectors. If you actually used the coins, we might order some for you.” :twisted:

I didn’t want to argue with her, she was surrounded by 3 other tellers that had ordered for me in the past. :x I just said, “OK, I’ll be back to close my account when I have more time,” :x and walked out. I doubt that I will close my account because I know that other branches ‘will’ order for me.
I think I may have found a new dump location. I'm sure they will Itch about that too :roll:

Any of you know how much it really cost a bank to order a box of half dollars? I usually order 8 at a time.
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Re: What do you want them for?

Postby rexmerdinus » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:17 pm

Not sure what the cost is for ordering/delivering, but I was told in my branches (small town banks) that it costs them money to return them.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Beau » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:10 pm

my bank tells me that it cost them 8 cents per roll.

the vault teller is a buddy of mine so I do not have any problem with them,

except that I can not get halves.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BlackOut » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:49 pm

it does cost them money, but most banks are willing to order for you, you just have to shop around. I had a bank tell me that it would cost me .10-.30 per roll to order. They still let me have their bags off their machine so I guess some of the smaller local banks can't eat the cost.
BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:08 am

Of course you are going to "use them." Right after you finish plucking out all the good ones you are going to use a few to make a minor purchase at a store.. then you are going to use the rest to turn in and get more fiat so you can buy more halves. I can see where they might balk at a regular 8 box order of halves. There is always a cost somewhere.. those things don't just magically appear for free. Depending on the arrangement the bank has with their coin supplier it can be a per roll, per box or per delivery fee. They might also have a contract for a set number of deliveries for a fixed price whether they use them or not. This is why it is often more difficult to get large orders from small banks.

It was that darned state quarter program that made many banks hate those pesky collectors.

I am happy to get 1 box of halves at a time from my branches. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby dan53 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:45 am

Possible reply:

"My nephew is autistic and stacking the coins is the only thing that calms him down when he's having an episode. Currently he has approximately 545 stacks."
Be sure and appear to be getting choked up when you tell them this.

As far as how the banks are charged for coin deliveries, I bet its according to weight. I have been getting 4 boxes (sometimes more or less) a week now for over a year from the same bank at no cost. Occasionally I bring them candy. I get them the good stuff. It only costs me around eight bucks and I do it about 6 times per year.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:27 am

Actually, back when I first started and could get halves living in the big city, tellers would ask and, being a little reticent at the time, I'd tell them I had a good friend who was confined to a wheelchair and was getting them for him to go through. I probably spent a few extra Karma points every time I used that one! :)
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals