Beware of Gold Jewelry. May not be as marked

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Beware of Gold Jewelry. May not be as marked

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:49 am

I recently purchased 1 lot of jewelry from eBay. Before I submitted it to the crucible, I figured that I would give it a quick test. Here's some of the results:

Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: Beware of Gold Jewelry. May not be as marked

Postby Devil Soundwave » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:16 am

Interesting video, thanks man.

Three questions:

1) Where can I buy one of those testers?
2) How much do they cost (roughly)?
3) Can you buy such an applicance to test silver (or even one which tests a range of metals)?
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:11 pm

I know a local dealer that has been burned a couple times by jewelry that was marked gold but really was not.

He was saying the fakes are coming out of China and that they are so good that you sometimes have to tear the jewlery apart to be able to determine if it is fake or not.

I know I bought a necklace at a church sale once thinking it was 14k but it turned out it was just the clasp not the chain itself. Luckily I didn't pay too much for it.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks for posting. Interesting to see that little handy machine work.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thedude » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:29 pm

Devil Soundwave wrote:
Three questions:

3) Can you buy such an applicance to test silver (or even one which tests a range of metals)?

http://www.trielectronics.com/gold.html
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all.
thedude
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Cool post Mike......thanks for sharing.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Dvorak » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:50 am

I assume this wasn't magnetic, either. What material are they using in these, silver?
Dvorak
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:08 am

Tri-electronics, as somebody else posted, sells these. The GXL 24pro is what I use for testing jewelry at gold parties, coin shows, and anywhere else where portability is necessary. Otherwise, assays are performed post-melt and by an independent third party. I have been pleased with the accuracy of the GXL 24pro.

GXL 24pro can be purchased on eBay (used) for around $400, or you get a new one for around $575

There is not a similar piece of equipment for silver that I know of, but I'd be in the market for one if anybody knows of such a thing.

The only magnetic part was the steel spring in the clasps, but that is to be expected. Typically, these faked pieces will use heavier metals to mask the weight differential between gold and non gold. The alloy varies and I have seen anything from silver to bronze to zinc and nickel, to a variety of other things. There is no firm answer, and because I am sending this whole lot back to the eBay seller, I will never know what it actually is.

Just beware that this kind of stuff is out there and if you are willing to risk your dollars on buying gold, then at least get some bit of insurance, aka a quality Gold Tester... just catching one bad lot can pay for the machine itself. I paid $1000 for a 50+ gram lot, of which more than half was non-payable. The seller wants the whole lot back, and will be sending another 50+ grams of 14K to me :roll:
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby ZigMeister » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:41 am

Very nice device...Thanks for the informative video.
ZigMeister
Penny Collector Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:10 am

thedude wrote:
Devil Soundwave wrote:
Three questions:

http://www.trielectronics.com/gold.html

Thanks you Sir! :)
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby didou » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 am

Market Harmony wrote:Tri-electronics, as somebody else posted, sells these. The GXL 24pro is what I use for testing jewelry at gold parties, coin shows, and anywhere else where portability is necessary. Otherwise, assays are performed post-melt and by an independent third party. I have been pleased with the accuracy of the GXL 24pro.

GXL 24pro can be purchased on eBay (used) for around $400, or you get a new one for around $575

There is not a similar piece of equipment for silver that I know of, but I'd be in the market for one if anybody knows of such a thing.

The only magnetic part was the steel spring in the clasps, but that is to be expected. Typically, these faked pieces will use heavier metals to mask the weight differential between gold and non gold. The alloy varies and I have seen anything from silver to bronze to zinc and nickel, to a variety of other things. There is no firm answer, and because I am sending this whole lot back to the eBay seller, I will never know what it actually is.

Just beware that this kind of stuff is out there and if you are willing to risk your dollars on buying gold, then at least get some bit of insurance, aka a quality Gold Tester... just catching one bad lot can pay for the machine itself. I paid $1000 for a 50+ gram lot, of which more than half was non-payable. The seller wants the whole lot back, and will be sending another 50+ grams of 14K to me :roll:

Thanks for the video and the info, really help here :)
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby rickygee » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:40 am

Market Harmony, you da bomb! :D
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby alpacafarmer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:17 pm

Looking at the tri electronics web site I had a question. With there less expensive testers the GT 3000 and GT 4000 would they work just as well for testing 95% of the jewelery as most is 10K to 18K??
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals