LCS bought my penny stash

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

LCS bought my penny stash

Postby Mercuryman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:44 pm

Hey everyone, I'm young "20" and Ive been stacking copper now for about 3 months. I hand sorted/used a comparator to sort $135 face and was sitting on it, when silver dropped down to $32/oz i borrowed $120 from my brother to buy silver at a Coin Show. Thus needing to sell the pennies,. I know my LCS pays 2 cents per wheat, so i probed him on copper pennies he offered me 1.25xfv and I countered with 1.3 and he agreed. Ended up being a fun little investment, i found over 300+ wheat pennies and made about $50 off the deal. I plan on re-stacking, but now I'm more concerned with silver than with copper. After hauling $135 fv to the store, it also made me understand how difficult it would be to move a large quantity of pennies. Anyways i figured you all would be glad to hear that a respectable establishment is purchasing pennies. Anyone else have any similar stories?
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: LCS bought my penny stash

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:12 pm

Glad to see more LCS are getting onboard with the copper pennie.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby knibloe » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:23 pm

The more pennies you turn over like this, the more silver you can afford.

Congradulations
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:08 am

My Post Person Looks at me With concern in Her eyes when I walk out to mail box :( & hopes I'm not looking for another 68# box. They all Survived but One looked like a basket ball when it got here :lol: One out of three :P
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:00 pm

if your local coin shop is only paying 2 cents per wheat I'm not so sure I'd call them a "respectable establishment" :?

If you are looking to stack some silver maybe you could work out a deal with him. He could take your $100 face in copper and give you $100 in cash and $30 worth of silver.
Last edited by bman on Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mercuryman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:39 pm

bman wrote:if your local coin shop is only paying 2 cents per wheat I'm not so sure I'd call them a "respectable establishment" :?

If you are looking to stack some silver maybe you could work out a dela with him. He could take your $100 face in copper and give you $100 in cash and $30 worth of silver.

He doesn't sell wheat pennies, he hoards them for himself. At local coin shows they are 6 cents a piece all day, so i don't think its really that bad of a deal. I would never sell them for 6 cents. I'm more interested in nickel than copper at the moment, worth 3x as much and hit over 24/lb once. It demands a premium almost always, whereas pennies are below melt. I did buy $3.50 BU copper pennies at a coin club last night for $5.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypanner » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:45 pm

I get 2x face for common copper pennies from my LCS. I also buy silver with the profit. It's all good. Silver for half price and it's a lot easier to store than copper.
pennypanner

Postby NHsorter » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:55 pm

2X face from an LCS is awesome. I would jump all over that if I could. I would also convert it to silver just like you do. Where is this coin shop?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby joemac » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:55 pm

Bullocks, I don't have a coin shop near me. How can I sell wheats for $.06. Can they be circulated? What if I polished one of them?
joemac
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Mercuryman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:29 pm

pennypanner wrote:I get 2x face for common copper pennies from my LCS. I also buy silver with the profit. It's all good. Silver for half price and it's a lot easier to store than copper.

Wow, i would be all day long if my LCS payed 2x
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mercuryman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:31 pm

joemac wrote:Bullocks, I don't have a coin shop near me. How can I sell wheats for $.06. Can they be circulated? What if I polished one of them?

Not really sure what your trying to ask here. From what i've seen from the last several local coin shows, rolls of wheats were $3 dollars each. Circulated, polished its in the middle of a roll who knows what your getting.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:28 pm

Mercuryman wrote: At local coin shows they are 6 cents a piece all day,

Wow I wish I could get 6 cents apiece. I can't get a little over 3 and a half cents apiece shipped.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mercuryman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:18 pm

NDFarmer wrote:
Mercuryman wrote: At local coin shows they are 6 cents a piece all day,

Wow I wish I could get 6 cents apiece. I can't get a little over 3 and a half cents apiece shipped.

I may take you up on one of your bags in the future, quite a good deal. Unfortunately i don't have alot of cash flow at the moment.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dave » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:47 am

I don't believe a lcs buys pennies at 2x. Prove me wrong, I have $1000 fv that I will let him but at 1.8x.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:42 pm

Rosco wrote:My Post Person Looks at me With concern in Her eyes when I walk out to mail box :( & hopes I'm not looking for another 68# box. They all Survived but One looked like a basket ball when it got here :lol: One out of three :P

(If anyone sends this guy anything, put it in the largest box available.)
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing