Cuttin' back on sorting

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Cuttin' back on sorting

Postby dan53 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:46 pm

Been sorting four boxes of halves a week for over a year. The last 16 boxes have yielded only 3 forty percent halves. I'm afraid that the higher price of silver is gonna put an end to a good thing. I'm dropping to two boxes per week. Is anybody out there still finding silver in rolls of halves?
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Cuttin' back on sorting

Postby pennypanner » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:47 pm

I found three in one roll yesterday.
pennypanner

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:07 pm

Slim Pickens... But still worth it
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:44 pm

I quit because I can make more money at my regular job and then buy the silver from a coin shop. (When I am doing my job right, it's 80 hrs. per week anyway.)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:35 pm

I don't blame you. I stopped searching for halves around 2005... it's just not worth the time and effort.

In the late 80's and 90's I was finding about 3-5 90%s and at least 7-10 40%s per box on average. As I've said in previous threads... those days are long gone.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:04 am

I Quit the boxs but do ask for Halves in the teller trays Several 40% two 90% also saw a Morgan but it was already claimed
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby newton7 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:45 am

I have never found any silver in boxes where I am at. I think I did about 8 boxes. Now I just ask for loose ones at the teller. I have never found silver in a machine roll but one or two in hand rolls and loose. Scored six 40s and one 90 the other week from a nice teller. And another one had a silver eagle in a deposit bag from a fast food place. I offered her a decent amount of money but she sold it to me for 1 dollar because it was bank policy. I return the next week with a visa gift card that my son wrote "Thank You" all over. I said, "Here is a thank you card from my son" and she accepted it, we both understood what was going on. I am now trying my luck a loose halves from bank counting machines. I have recently found one who will sell the loose change out of the jet sort and let me take a mix with whatever I ask. Dimes, nics, halves etc. No luck yet but will keep trying.

:)
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby dan53 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:04 pm

I keep thinking about what I found in one of my four box orders about 6 months ago. There were 10 rolls clustered together in the box that were all silver. Thats 200 silver kennedys plus there were a few odd silver halves in other rolls. I don't understand how that could have happened, but I've quit trying to figure it out. This is what has made it so hard for me to reduce my box order from 4 to 2,...but I did it.

I had some good luck today! Went to a bank in a small town and bought 6 rolls. In 4 of those rolls there were 3 - 1964's, 1 - 1958, 1- 1963, and 5 Forty percent kennedys. It made me smile!
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:01 am

dan53 wrote:I keep thinking about what I found in one of my four box orders about 6 months ago. There were 10 rolls clustered together in the box that were all silver. Thats 200 silver kennedys plus there were a few odd silver halves in other rolls. I don't understand how that could have happened, but I've quit trying to figure it out. This is what has made it so hard for me to reduce my box order from 4 to 2,...but I did it.

I had some good luck today! Went to a bank in a small town and bought 6 rolls. In 4 of those rolls there were 3 - 1964's, 1 - 1958, 1- 1963, and 5 Forty percent kennedys. It made me smile!

Wow. Finds like that today are amazing and rare. I'm very happy for you.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby dan53 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Cu PH, I have had two major scores from boxes since I have been doing this. That was one of them. I have had at least one other major score that didn't come from a box.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:55 pm

I will still ask for a handful if they have some in their tray and have had some success, but have stopped with rolls.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:56 pm

I was doing 1 box a week of halves for about 8 months, then switched to two boxes a week a month ago. I don't find much, often nothing good, and get tired of dumping them, I kind of miss sorting pennies, and was doing 8 boxes pennies a month.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:16 am

I gave up on halves a long time ago, but I do get a box every now and again--all skunks. Pennies are so much more fun!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:35 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:I quit because I can make more money at my regular job and then buy the silver from a coin shop. (When I am doing my job right, it's 80 hrs. per week anyway.)

Same thing. I can easily pick up three or four extra shifts a month as an RN. A single shift represents more take home pay then what I was capturing while sorting $40000 in halves a month, and it's a lot less stressful. Good luck, tho, to you guys that are still enjoying it. ;)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby wbeck » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:56 am

Odd. This seems to kind of conflict with the statistics threads. I've been thinking about ordering some boxes(always just sorted through change I got, but never went out of my way). From what I can tell it looks like depending on where you are in the country halves are .4 percent to almost .5 percent. OBVIOUSLY that's not high, but it seems like if you were cranking through them (I've even looked at some machines that can sort silver coins) you could make 100-200 bucks an hour of actual sorting time. Then obviously pickup/dumping. Not something I'd do for a living, but as a hobby doing it somewhat lax if you could find that much silver, I might be game.

Are you guys really not even finding anywhere close to the half a percent give or take? I'm just wondering since I've been thinking about taking a whack at it.
wbeck
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals