I should asked sooner at the coin counter! So sad!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I should asked sooner at the coin counter! So sad!

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:41 pm

I an my son Franklin do the bank run on Mondays an this last Monday two of the CU coin counters were out. So on Friday I made a dump run at lunch. It was one of the few times any one was in line in front of me. It was a two women one about 80 and the other 60. They were dumping old coffee can of coins. I do not know were my mind was but I asked when they were dumping the last can "do you own a store" and the younger said " dad died and we found them in the closet " I said did you look for silver and wheats. And they said no. So sad they went on to say he had been saving them for years. Also it was $375 FV in coin. At this credit union I have no problems with dumping all the coins I want. And I have asked in the past to buy bags off the counter the said the would not. So at keeping all partys happy i did not try to buy the bags.

Monday at that counter
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: I should asked sooner at the coin counter! So sad!

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:15 pm

Arrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pennymanofmoney » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:08 pm

When I used to sort pennies, the penny arcade machines at TD Bank would sometimes break after I called them to ask if they were working. That was the part that sucked the most.
pennymanofmoney

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:37 pm

henrysmedford wrote:So at keeping all partys happy i did not try to buy the bags.

1. Do your transactions and leave the bank.
2. Drive around the block/for 10 minutes.
3. Back at bank, ask for bags.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!!
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:27 pm

I'm thinking about getting a part time job at my local credit union in an attempt to infiltrate so to speak.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:45 am

I should have added that if I had ask earlier I would have told them to look through them. I also would have told them the coin shop in town pays a fair price for silver . I have thought that most of Franklin's finds were from thief's dumping coins, someone need of a beer or a smoke and dumping change and forgot about that IH cent in the tub. It is sad that Grandpa's sorting get dumped for face. I am more than happy to tell the truth on what they might have. :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:26 pm

Yesterday I was at the scrap yard. There was some stuff I wanted in the junk pile. I asked the yard attendant. He said no, he couldn't. I didn't take no for an answer. I went inside and asked the owner. He said yes.

Moral of the story. Don't take no for an answer It is worthit to ask again ;) . Go back tomorrow and ask!!!

Move up the ladder if you need to.

Good luck.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby HPMBTT » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:15 pm

everything wrote:I'm thinking about getting a part time job at my local credit union in an attempt to infiltrate so to speak.

I have often thought about this too. I always end up not doing this, as I figure if I can get in good with one or more tellers at the said Credit Union and bring them chocolate, that they will then take care of me and save me at least one/third of the good stuff (ie half dollar rolls, old penny rolls turned in etc), which will put me ahead of the game, even if only slightly.

Besides, why work at the bank for 6-8 hours when instead, you can search 3-4 boxes in 1-2 hours and perhaps pay for the entire day's wages if you find some silver? Plus, it's tax-free too. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals