Local Coin Shop Report

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Local Coin Shop Report

Postby Robarons » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:59 pm

Went to my favorite coin shop today. As you guys might have read there is a somewhat new local coin shop with an honest guy but a fool at selling coins. Feel free to locate my old story to see what he does, its interesting. Any ways here was his pricing:
No Gold, Plat. ("gold is too expensive, must give up up to 3 days notice if you sell a quarter eagle, lol)
90% at 24.5x
80% Can. at 14.9x
40% at 5.17x
War Nickels $1 each
Generic Rounds +$3, Eagles +$5

You read correctly the guy always seems to figure out Canadian silver Wrong and 14.9x is very wrong. I would try and tell him if its about the size of a US dime and a US Dime is 90% for $2.45 then a Canadian dime should be pretty close to that. I did this last trip, but this time I didnt bother and just cleaned him out. I feel that if your a dealer with a store front buying 10 oz gold bars for $17,000 then you should know silver. He had junk foreign silver at 10% OVER. Once again I tried to explain people do not like foreign and will buy US silver at spot rather than paying 10% over for 50% British junk.
Also bought war nickels as well.

I told him about Comex currencies and mentioned that Germany, Mexico after 1992,Japan, etc can be traded in. He tells me he has Mexican 200,000 Pesos until I realized it was the inflation pre-1992 junk with no value! Also he tried to exchange old French Francs and Italian Lira... This guy makes me wanna open a coin shop because I dont know much about coins, but I sure know more about this guy!

I hope he broke his buying GoldFilled as solid gold policy- I dont think he believes me on that!
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Re: Local Coin Shop Report

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:04 pm

I would have cleaned him out of those nicks and 80% too, good score! 90% price is pretty good too!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:12 pm

Great score on the CN and war nicks!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby dakota1955 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Makes a person wonder what he is paying for some of this stuff?
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby knibloe » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:38 pm

I wish that there was a decent coin store around here. I don' t even need one like yours, just one where you could get a bargain once in a while.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:18 pm

I just stopped by a place I never had been in before. Not the biggest selection, mostly an antique store but the man had some Morgans and Peace Dollars for 28 each, generic 1 oz. .999 for 3 bucks over spot, eagles for 5 bucks over. Not too bad! I did not realize you could get anything like that for not ripoff prices in any shops around here. I only bought one nice Morgan and a little 5 gram JM bar but I will go back and check his stuff and prices often I am sure.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:17 am

So are you selling CDN on here at 15x for a small profit?:)
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:20 pm

After you open a coin shop you should buy a bunch of gold-filled and sell it to him for a profit. Makes you a killing and puts your competition out of business, Double win!
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby louisianagold » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:02 pm

Thank you for the report.
louisianagold
Penny Pincher Member

Postby wbeck » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:48 am

The shop I go to isn't that stupid on Canadian (as far as I know, I've never even bothered to look!) but he is 25x on US 90% and, $2.00 if I recall on generic rounds/bars. Never look at ASEs because I buy for the silver content, not because it's "cool" or desirable. After I found this place I haven't bought anything online, because once you factor in shipping it's always more!
wbeck
Penny Sorter Member

Postby newton7 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Traveling and hit a shop in Boulder CO the other day. TEBO coins is the place and they were very nice and professional looking. I took my kid for a Whitman folder for his halves and decided to check it out. They had the most coins, gold and silver I have ever seen in a shop and their statement "Colorado's Largest Selection of Rare Coins & Precious Metals" just might be right!

I have not been in a store front for sometime so I was surprised to see so much stuff but I was quickly struck by sticker shock. 10oz bars spot plus 3.50, 1 0Z coins 3.50 to 5.50 depending on brand and collect ability and even the non-US stuff was 1.50 over spot. I guess on the one hand I was really surprised to walk into such a great store outside of my area of travel and full of really good stuff. But on the other hand I am really grateful to be a part of this great forum and the members that pass on their knowledge and sell within respectable margins.

Thanks for all the sales and trades.
newton7.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HPMBTT » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Sounds like some of you guys are very fortunate when it comes to your local coin shop. Unfortunately, one of the better coin shops near me has higher prices, plus they charge tax in gold/silver bullion (in ANY form, including 90% junk). Also, their premiums on gold coins (even 1 oz) is high. They treat everything and everyone like a business and are not real people-friendly. I'll go there to get supplies, but if I want to add to my stash, I stick with coin clubs, shows or local users (ie colleagues or Craigslist). If it's Craigslist, I always meet in a very public place.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennyguy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:49 pm

My local dealer casperscoins
is selling 90% @25 times
pennyguy
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals