What would you do?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: What would you do?

Postby beauanderos » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:30 pm

PeacePeople wrote:Out of curiousity, how do you package the pennies inside the box? Just loose? Inside plastic bags? What about those tyvek bags they give away, seems like they're impossible to break unless cut?

I get what Ray is saying, when the margin is 10% and the loss is 5% and supply is drying up or difficult, why bother?

I place $50 face inside a tyvek bag, inside a plastic bank bag. Two in each box. EVERY seam on the entire box is covered with fiberglas reinforced tape, and then doubled over with clear heavy duty packing tape. Then every surface is covered AGAIN with another layer of clear tape. No one gets into those boxes unless it's deliberate. And, yeah... seems like sometimes you have to shake the post workers out of their lethargic state (at times) in order to locate your shipment. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, remember? :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:37 pm

beauanderos wrote: Squeaky wheel gets the grease, remember? :?

Or in this case screaming wife gets the pennies. :D
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fb101 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:18 pm

Z00 wrote:http://www.insurepost.com/default.asp

The following list of items are NOT ABLE TO BE INSURED by InsurePost.com.

Accounts, bills, currency, cash in transit, evidence of debt, checks, money orders, COD payments, coins (collectible coins are not excluded), securities and other negotiable papers, tickets, deeds, notes, gift cards, manuscripts, documents, neon items, hazardous material

thanks for the effort...........
fb101

Postby PeacePeople » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:58 am

I don't have the link, but the only place that will insure bullion is shipsurance or shipinsurance. You'll need to find the link on your own, but there are plenty of bayers that use them.
PeacePeople
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXBullion » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Im sorry to hear, a tragic day that I wont be getting any nasty uglly pennies anymore, tear :(
TXBullion

Postby beauanderos » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:45 pm

TXBullion wrote:Im sorry to hear, a tragic day that I wont be getting any nasty uglly pennies anymore, tear :(

Oh, we're not done yet, Bucko... I still have one box left with your name on it.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby TXBullion » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:34 pm

beauanderos wrote:
TXBullion wrote:Im sorry to hear, a tragic day that I wont be getting any nasty uglly pennies anymore, tear :(

Oh, we're not done yet, Bucko... I still have one box left with your name on it.

Really, thats the best news I have heard all day :D Paypal or check, name your method and you got it!
TXBullion

Postby CU Baker » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:16 am

I have had four of five show up too a buyer, only to have the buyer check with his postmaster and find out the other got shipped about fifty miles away and did show up a couple of days later. For me if it had not arrived the refund check would have been in the mail. The deal now is that with any adventure there is a possablity for a loss. Its a natural fact of any buisness that there will be losses. Profit has to be large enough now and in the future to to cover any of these losses.

The sales part of my penny sorting is just for capital to do more sorting to add to what will one day just go to the junk yard.
For now its just time to hold on. So now when I drive to work, pick up that large spike in my tire, I am late, need a new tire
I am grumpy as hell I have to remember that there is always a risk of loss in anything I do.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Update and a reminder to all who purchase...and sell coins/money on here. (PART 1)

I purchased an order of silver dimes(100) and the package came signature confirmation. But i was at work when the postman came to the house. I got the slip telling me I could have it re-delivered or just pick it up at the post office. This was a Saturday and by time I got home the post office was closed. I ended up going to the post office on Monday and they couldn't produce the package that matched my slip. All they would say is it wasn't where it was supposed to be....and to come back tomorrow because it will turn up. Well I asked them if they could ask the driver if he/she remembered what he/she did with my package. I got the dirtiest look from the manager...not the postmaster. All she would say is that the package is lost. And, the carrier wasn't in today. I asked if she could cll this person at home and ask. She told me to go home and she would call me with an update in the morning. Next morning no call just as i expected. Oh....and, of course, she asked if I had insurance on it. I say NO, I don't want the insurance, i want my lost package that YOU LOST. Her reply is that I should've had insurance.

Now I'm the bad guy for not having insurance. It went very fast from them losing the package to sorry, you should've had insurance. I went back Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Each time they would look inj the spot where it should have been and then tell me...sorry it's not there. I finally got to see the post master who goes and looks in the same places...comes back and says....yep...it's not here. Now he starts with the insurance thing. I ask if they talked to the carrier yet...he says I DON'T KNOW. WTF! Now they're gonna ask this guy/gal about something from last week.....WTF!! Again he changes the subject and talks again about insurance and that if I had gotten it...they would have paid it.

Here is the funny thing.....from Day 1 when I got the news that it was missing...I requested their policy or procedures for lost packages....especially for those of the signature confirmation ones that get brought back for pick up. They refused to tell me anythiong. From the beginning I asked them to talk to the carrier....nope...at least not until a week later. I asked them to check the video security system....and this got a laugh each time I asked. By this time I am out for somebody's ass.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:50 pm

Update and a reminder to all who purchase...and sell coins/money on here. (PART 2)

Being that I, now, am the one at fault from the management at this facility I made an official complaint with the Post Office. A person from consumer affairs contacted me and we went round and round about their non-existant customer service at my post office and how I was continueously reminded that I should have had insurance on the package. How I never was called with an update. How I was laughed at. And, how they refused to even tell me what they were going to do about finding my package. They lost it. They could not produce a policy or procedure on lost packages. The refusal to ask the carrier...the refusal to check the security cameras. I'm just SOL.

And this set me off....this person who contacted me and investigated my complaint now tells me that they finally asked the carrier about the package...but since it's a week ago all he/she remembers is placing the slip in my mailbox.....not a thing about the actual package....... I am SOL. They can't reimburse me because of the fact of no insurance. The only option left is to send a letter....NO PHONE NUMBER......NO EMAIL....only a written letter through the freakin' mail system to complain to the POOM....the one in charge of all of the local postmasters.

This is in process....updates when i get something back.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:21 pm

Postal theft used to be a big deal, insurance or not. They used to have a division that investigated just that. Now it seems like they want to pawn off their responsiblilty to insurance, which makes it convenient for them to steal stuff and stick the loss back on the insurance company.

The fact that this package was in the possession of the local carrier and then went missing should be an alarm bell to the local postmaster.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby natsb88 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:47 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Update and a reminder to all who purchase...and sell coins/money on here. (PART 2)

Being that I, now, am the one at fault from the management at this facility I made an official complaint with the Post Office. A person from consumer affairs contacted me and we went round and round about their non-existant customer service at my post office and how I was continueously reminded that I should have had insurance on the package. How I never was called with an update. How I was laughed at. And, how they refused to even tell me what they were going to do about finding my package. They lost it. They could not produce a policy or procedure on lost packages. The refusal to ask the carrier...the refusal to check the security cameras. I'm just SOL.

And this set me off....this person who contacted me and investigated my complaint now tells me that they finally asked the carrier about the package...but since it's a week ago all he/she remembers is placing the slip in my mailbox.....not a thing about the actual package....... I am SOL. They can't reimburse me because of the fact of no insurance. The only option left is to send a letter....NO PHONE NUMBER......NO EMAIL....only a written letter through the freakin' mail system to complain to the POOM....the one in charge of all of the local postmasters.

This is in process....updates when i get something back.

Do this too:

natsb88 wrote:To file an official inquiry for a missing package, go here:

https://www.usps.com/customer-service/c ... ervice.htm

Click "Send us an email" at the bottom. For inquiry type, select "Problem." Click the "Receiving Mail" tab. Select "No Delivery/No Attempt" from the drop-down box. Select "I Did Not Receive a Specific Item" from the second drop-down box. Click "Continue" and then fill in the form with the appropriate selections and make sure you include the Delivery Confirmation number. This will generate a report that will be sent to the Postmaster at the PO that should have delivered the package to the recipient. That Postmaster should then try to trace the package along it's journey and contact the last place it was scanned to attempt to locate it.
natsb88

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:53 pm

I did the online official inquiry. Talked to someone...who told me to write a letter to the POOM.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing