How much do you dump at once?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

How much do you dump at once?

Postby Greatwun » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:53 am

I've recently been dumping about $60 in pennies at local TD penny aracade however would like to start searching dimes for silver. Now dimes can addup pretty and even though there is no limit to how many coins I can dump I just wanted to know if anyone here dumps large amounts at once and if there are any problems that can arise from this? On average how much do you guys dump at once, either penny arcade or re-wrapped rolls?
Greatwun
Penny Sorter Member

Re: How much do you dump at once?

Postby NHsorter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:32 am

Penny Arcade I dump different amounts depending on the branch. One really friendly branch I bring in $100FV cents or a little more at a time which means that they will be changing bags for sure but they don't seem to care. Other branches I bring in only $50 and I can usually get away with no bag change so that I stay under the angry teller radar.

Dimes - Be careful and make sure that you know exactly how much you are bringing in because the machines are known to eat dimes or count them as pennies. I have had it count dimes perfectly on occasion. It is usually really close (lose 2-3) so I don't bother to complain obviously, especially since I am scoring loot off the magnet and that more than makes up for it. But I have heard some stories about getting really short changed on dimes.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:41 am

yep always test the machine before dumping your load.... ;) and dump away but be prepared for bag changes I try to stay under that amount....whatever it happens to be...sometimes it doesnt work out well for me... 8-)
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Dumping dimes is the fastest way to LOSE money. They fall into penny bags too often for me to dump dimes.

I am now restricted to just $300 a day at the CU's that I dump at. I have dumped up to $750 in pennies a day before the $300 limit was imposed.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Was the $750 dump the reason that the $300 limit was imposed? :lol:
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Copper_Baron » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:39 pm

About $25 FV a trip at TD Penny Arcade. Trying to stay under the radar..................
Copper_Baron

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:46 pm

My recent dumps have been smaller with me moving back into my old house. The machine has a smaller capacity....meaning more chances of changing bags. So, I'll take, at the most now, the zincs from 1 bag or 2 boxes at a time. Roughly $35-$38 face. Still I get caught! My other home had three different branches within 2 miles of each other with those huge coinstar-like machines to dump in. Had no fear of the radar with $100 face dumps. They do have a fee for non-account holders....so if they blow me any crap...I'll tell them to charge me the 3% and kiss my but!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby ed_vantage17 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:51 pm

I usually dump between $70-$100 per trip to the bank. Not really trying to stay under the radar so to speak, that all I have at any time usually. I have been reassured by the branch manager that I'm "no trouble what so ever". So far at least...
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennyguy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:13 pm

Two buckets with about 28lbs of zinc in each $100.00 total
usually three bag changes for the poor lady ,Her eyes light up when she sees me walk in.
She must really like me :lol:
pennyguy
Penny Collector Member

Postby brexzz1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:29 pm

I dump $1000 per trip
brexzz1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby slickeast » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:50 pm

NHsorter wrote:Was the $750 dump the reason that the $300 limit was imposed? :lol:

No they told me that they were going to roll out the new policy to all of the branches. The teller told me to take advantage of the no limit for as long as I could.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:16 pm

I dump up to $100 at a time in the CoinStar machine at a nearby grocery store and choose the store giftcard option. Got to buy groceries eventually, right?

I checked with my local credit union to see about dumping larger amounts there although they do charge a fee even for members. Here's the email message I sent them last week...

Is there a maximum amount I can deposit in coins in the coin counting machine in one of the branches? Is there a total dollar limit or a limit on the number of coins? If I brought in $1000 in pennies would that be too much?

and here was their response...

Thank you for contacting Orange County's Credit Union. We do not impose a monetary limit on the use of our Coinstar machines, however you must consider that each machine has a set capacity. The machine is likely to not be empty when you use it because other members also use it. $1,000 in pennies when rolled would look like about 40 shoe boxes. (When we receive cash shipments of rolled coin, $25 goes in each box and the boxes resemble shoe boxes in size.) This is more than would fit into the machine so we recommend that you make multiple trips. We apologize, but we do not have a set dollar amount limit per denomination that we can provide to you.

Who can fit a pair or shoes in a penny box anyway? :?
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:46 am

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:Who can fit a pair or shoes in a penny box anyway? :?

It's penny loafers for guys with really small feet.

Never pay fees. What grocery store has a card you can get out of the Coinstar? I was it once at my local Safeway.. but then they put a sign on the machine that said the Safeway gift card option was not available. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:36 am

Stop and Shop coinstar did the same thing to me... one day there, next week gone... of course i brought 100 in zincs across the parking lot (both ways)
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:40 am

Greatwun wrote:I've recently been dumping about $60 in pennies at local TD penny aracade however would like to start searching dimes for silver. Now dimes can addup pretty and even though there is no limit to how many coins I can dump I just wanted to know if anyone here dumps large amounts at once and if there are any problems that can arise from this? On average how much do you guys dump at once, either penny arcade or re-wrapped rolls?

Well, it depends on how much I ate the previous night. :lol:

Seriously though....it depends on if I'm dumping pre-counted coinlok bags or if I'm dumping at coin counters. For pre-counted bags: I was dumping as much as $2500, twice per week (I rec'd the cash immediately). For coin counters: recently, I would dump as much as $1200 per run, usually 4-5 runs per week (sometimes more). But now I'm spreading out my dumps more and have been sticking with $500-$700 per coin counter and dumping at multiple branches at two different banks. :) If I think that I have too much coin so as to attract attention, then I will wrap some of my half dollars and return them at a dump bank that doesn't have a coin counter. If I return wrapped coin, then I try not to unload more than $600 at a single time. When I was dumping pre-counted bags, the managers didn't care how much I dumped; but I didn't want to wear out my welcome, so I still returned bags at four different branches.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:38 am

50-60 bucks at a time in the coinstar.......lowes, amazon, and itunes gets my zinc.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby ScottyTX » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:26 pm

I usually hold it to right around 100.00 at a time/place (pennies). I would do more but they are already wondering why I keep bringing in all these pennies :) I simply told them my Grandfather left me 3 55 gal drums full of pennies when he died and I'm slowly bringing them in :)

Scotty
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:27 pm

ScottyTX wrote:I usually hold it to right around 100.00 at a time/place (pennies). I would do more but they are already wondering why I keep bringing in all these pennies :) I simply told them my Grandfather left me 3 55 gal drums full of pennies when he died and I'm slowly bringing them in :)

Scotty

Now THAT is probably the single best excuse/reason that I have heard yet. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennyguy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:16 pm

ScottyTX wrote:I usually hold it to right around 100.00 at a time/place (pennies). I would do more but they are already wondering why I keep bringing in all these pennies :) I simply told them my Grandfather left me 3 55 gal drums full of pennies when he died and I'm slowly bringing them in :)

Scotty

Thats funny, I told the same thing to my dump banks, They are always
asking how many pennies I have to left to bring in, I just say LOTS of them
pennyguy
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:16 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Never pay fees. What grocery store has a card you can get out of the Coinstar? I was it once at my local Safeway.. but then they put a sign on the machine that said the Safeway gift card option was not available. :mrgreen:

The grocery store is Albertson's. In my post I said I "choose" the store giftcard option but I forgot to add that lately the machine has been issuing a no-fee cash voucher instead of the card due to "technical difficulties". :mrgreen:
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:29 am

That's sweet! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby GTOJohn » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:23 am

using a lobby counter, i usually deposit about $100 a trip.
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Andrew Jackson » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:25 pm

8-)
Average $1000, record $1400.
Andrew Jackson

Postby misteroman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Usually about350 but amazon has a 60 sharp LED for 1000 off so goiing to dump alot this weekend :mrgreen:
misteroman

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing