Flat Rate Box Taping rules?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Flat Rate Box Taping rules?

Postby NHsorter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:33 pm

The other day when I dropped off a stout little Small Flat Rate Priority Box at my local PO, the guy at the counter said that "it might get returned like this". I said "Why? I thought that if it fits, it ships" to which he told me that you were not allowed to use tape. I quickly shot back and told him that I get them like this all the time with no problems and I was unaware of the tape rule. I also asked him if they prefer to have wrecked packages I could skip the tape next time. This guy is clearly just counting the days until his pension kicks in and his attitude has always sucked so I don't know if I should worry about his comments or not.

Does anyone know the official rules about clear packing tape over the outside of Priority Flat Rate Boxes? I tried searching the archives for an answer first, but holy cow is "flat rate" a common term on here. Thanks!!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Flat Rate Box Taping rules?

Postby aloneibreak » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:46 pm

i tape the heck out of them with clear tape and have never had a problem

its the flat rate ENVELOPES they get upset at me over - they say the envelope adhesive is the means of closure - no tape

get a different counter employee and you'll get a different answer is usually the way the PO works :lol:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby pennyguy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:47 pm

I found this info on the usps website
http://postcalc.usps.gov/PopUps/PMSmallFRBox.htm
pennyguy
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Thanks for the link. By the wording I saw on that, it looks like the postal worker is just full of baloney. I have received numerous FRB's that were covered in clear tape. Never had a problem before. Thanks
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:58 pm

No tape? HCBTT must have not got the memo......you should see his CTU......the man works in tape like Van Gough did in oils.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby ScottyTX » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:12 pm

I've had this happen to me in the past and got into it with the post master at my local PO. I went home and did quite a bit of researching on their website and printed out guidelines and such off of the website. They actually encourage you to tape your package securely. The only thing that says anything at all about closing the package is for the flat rate envelopes. It states that the adhesive strip is to be used as the "primary" means of encolsure for the envelope. It was pure stupidity on their part by the arguments my fine lady Post master was arguing. She said if I had to put tape on it, then it wasen't safe to ship!!! I then asked her why then do they require you to tape the Registered mail with brown threaded packing tape for security if we can't use tape. "oh that's only for registered flat rate boxes. Ohhh k then what about the other size Medium flat rate box that has no adhesive strips???? OH well on that one you can use tape...... She said it was too heavy for the box as well and that made it unsafe, ahhhh so why do ya'll allow 70 lb's per package...No answer and she accused me of attempting to abuse the postal service. She refused my packages and well ,I only cussed a few times since I had my daughter with me :) Ahhhh I just read the link pennyguy posted, Bam there you go that's more strait forward than what I was able to find a few years ago! I still get fired up over that one. I had everybody in the post office staring at me, not to mention I had just broke the glass on my coffee table by stacking the boxes on it out of stupidity, the post office was closing in 15 min, and I had to leave out for work for a week early the next morning being unable to ship them........
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:25 pm

Ask them to show you exactly where in the Domestic Mail Manual it says you can't tape flat rate boxes. They won't be able to find it, which means they can't enforce it. The only thing that mentions tape is in regards to Flat Rate Envelopes, which says the adhesive flap must be the "primary means of enclosure" (i.e. the flap needs to be in the correct position, not folded/creased/stretched or not making contact), but does not prohibit tape. Guess I'm lucky to have a good relationship with my local PO...there are only three clerks and I've been going there to ship stuff since I was about 12 :lol:
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:35 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:No tape? HCBTT must have not got the memo......you should see his CTU......the man works in tape like Van Gough did in oils.

I didn't even know you got one of my CTU's. I gotta be careful where I send those things.

The no tape rule goes back to the days when there were no flat rate boxes and we used to ship a bag of wheat cents in 2 flat rate envelopes. They used to call me Mr. 320 back in those days. They used to discuss my packages at the regional meetings. Finally a memo was written that said folks couldn't tape the flat rate envelopes. "It was really a lot of work cutting down another flat rate envelope, cucooning it in tape and then slipping it in the untaped envelope. Before the rule change I did manage to ship an entire mint sewn bag of 1968-s cents to Indiana in one of those flat rate envelopes.. that was really pushing the envelope! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby mflugher » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:15 am

Yah back in the 90s I used to sell lots of magic the gathering cards and sportscards over the internet, I regularly grabbed a flat rate envelope, cut the 4 corners diagonally and then folded it into a box which exactly fit one sealed box of trading cards (36 packs). used to then tape the corners shut and never got any guff about sending it for $2.95 flat rate :D I was amazed the postal clerk didn't laugh at me...
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:44 am

I had the local PO try to refuse a small flat rate that was taped. I printed out the info that is in the link above. They read it, asked if they could keep it. Never had any problems after that.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:33 am

slickeast wrote:I had the local PO try to refuse a small flat rate that was taped. I printed out the info that is in the link above. They read it, asked if they could keep it. Never had any problems after that.

As I noted in the "how to ship pennies" thread, my postmaster (not a clerk) warned me that I might be charged full rate on boxes rec'd that were fully taped. He said that violated the rules, and while I think that is an interpretation of a not very clear instruction, he and others are interpreting it that way. He says it is fine to tape the edges and seams, and on medium/large boxes to strap around the middle in each direction, but 100% coverage constitutes a box modification which invalidates the flat rate price. Regardless of truth, that's what I have to work with here locally.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Primus123 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:41 am

I work for the PO and there is absolutely no rule against using tape for flat rate boxes!!!
I tape mine all the time!
Primus123
Penny Sorter Member

Postby newton7 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:20 am

Never has a problem with mine in TX on the ship side but I have had some break on the recieving side that I wish had been taped better. I guess it all depends on whom you get at the window. They now encourage me to drop them off on the loading dock at the rear of the building so they have to handle them less when they are prepaid.

That was the best thing to happen to me. No waiting in line with boxes that weigh a lot. Just go around back and drop off where all the other businesses drop their outgoing mail.

Keep Stacking!
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SoFa » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:46 am

I was wondering about the envelopes. Is the weight limit the same as for the small flat rate boxes? It seems like you could fit two boxes in an envelope.

And the taping rules are the same as boxes:
"When sealing a Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope, the container flaps must be able to close within the normal folds. Tape may be applied to the flaps and seams to reinforce the container; provided the design of the container is not enlarged by opening the sides and the container is not reconstructed in any way. "
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:41 am

Wow, thanks guys! Great responses here.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ed_vantage17 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:07 pm

Gotta add my story. Took a CTU to my local post office. The clerk gave me the same lines others here have gotten. She also said I could only use one piece of tape. I said, no problem. It comes in 60 foot rolls and I can wrap the whole box without cutting it into several pieces. Finally she got her supervisor and after about 10 minutes he came out and congratulated me on such a thorough taping job considering the weight (69 lbs, 8 oz) while she scowled in the background. Now she greets me with, "Oh. You got another one, huh?"
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby twentybux » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:34 am

Yeah, at the first of the year my local post office became tape nazis. This went for a month or so. I received a receive a shipment from Ray with about enough tape to gag a goat. Thanks to Ray I went to my friendly, neighborhood postal employee and said, "Yo, what gives? If they can do this out West why can't we? Are we going to let THEM show us up? We are from the Show-Me State!" The employee told me, "Bring it on! Tape that bad boy up like there's no tomorrow!" I replied, "Darn tootin!" Okay...maybe not those exact words...but pretty close. :lol: Turns out that some darn piece of paper began floating around stating that you "shouldn't" tape up small flat rates due to it having its own sealant. Once I talked to the USPS clerk, she stated that the postmaster around my parts conversed with some of his colleagues and figured it was just more bullcrap from Washington so we in the Midwest went back to our old ways.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugi » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:25 am

A post office worker once told me I used too much tape.....I told him "Go [fluff] yourself, I will go to a different post office."
I checked up on it. The rule is: if the box will NOT close without having to tape it, you cannot ship it. As long as the box closes completely without the use of tape, it is fine, you can use all the tape you want. If any PO worker wants to start a fight, I would say bring it on, bring out your supervisor, you POS! (sometimes they are just like the police, they feel so important, in a place of superiority sitting behing the desk." It's no wonder you can't bring firearms into the PO!
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:40 am

frugi wrote:A post office worker once told me I used too much tape.....I told him "Go f--k yourself, I will go to a different post office."
I checked up on it. The rule is: if the box will NOT close without having to tape it, you cannot ship it. As long as the box closes completely without the use of tape, it is fine, you can use all the tape you want. If any PO worker wants to start a fight, I would say bring it on, bring out your supervisor, you POS! (sometimes they are just like the police, they feel so important, in a place of superiority sitting behing the desk." It's no wonder you can't bring firearms into the PO!

8-) Peace Brother I shared with Our PO mgr I would use the other guys for all Pkgs She said we like your business come on back. :o

The Pkg from UPS is not a ball, usually still looks Square even when the wgt is 68# :mrgreen:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing