Why are people paying so much?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Why are people paying so much?

Postby battlecat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:57 pm

I dont understand why people are willing to pay 4x spot for copper bars on ebay? Am I missing something?
battlecat

Re: Why are people paying so much?

Postby slickeast » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:49 pm

Oh boy, not this question again. Nate can explain this to you.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby natsb88 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:31 pm

natsb88

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:55 pm

I once had a similar question, but did some quick looking, and realized that the actual price per pound for finished product to a controlled spec starts at $10-12/lb and goes up from there. Nats summary breaks it down specifically, but you can do some quick on-line pricing from copper plate/product suppliers and come to the same conclusion. The actual value of finished copper is really 3-4x spot. (Same should go for pennies as well, by the time you coin them. The discussions about pricing pennies as #2 scrap really doesn't have merit in a situation where paper money has no value and people have reverted to coin, or metal-backed new paper. The cost of producing new copper pennies would be 6-7 cents each.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby battlecat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:37 pm

Awesome, That is some great info in the other post! thanks!!!! :D
battlecat

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:32 am

Try making some. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:34 am

Well 1x has to go for eBay and PayPal fees... :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Copper_Baron » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:40 am

Is there an enterprise out there that will turn my clean copper scrap (from pipes, extension cords, etc) into copper bars or send me pre-made copper bars after they take a haircut like some enterprises do now for silver/gold? I have a few hundred pounds of clean copper scrap.
Copper_Baron

Postby natsb88 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:44 am

Copper_Baron wrote:Is there an enterprise out there that will turn my clean copper scrap (from pipes, extension cords, etc) into copper bars or send me pre-made copper bars after they take a haircut like some enterprises do now for silver/gold? I have a few hundred pounds of clean copper scrap.

None that I know of, but I get this question a lot, so when I build my copper furnace in the spring I'll have to figure out the viability of doing that...
natsb88

Postby Copper_Baron » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:07 pm

natsb88 wrote:
Copper_Baron wrote:Is there an enterprise out there that will turn my clean copper scrap (from pipes, extension cords, etc) into copper bars or send me pre-made copper bars after they take a haircut like some enterprises do now for silver/gold? I have a few hundred pounds of clean copper scrap.

None that I know of, but I get this question a lot, so when I build my copper furnace in the spring I'll have to figure out the viability of doing that...

I would be very interested.
Copper_Baron

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing