Virus on APMEX?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Virus on APMEX?

Postby beauanderos » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:46 pm

four or five diffent times, tonight, when I went to check prices on APMEX gold items, my internet stopped working. Every other site works just fine, but if I go in there for a moment, bam... Have their competitors hacked them and installed a worm?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Virus on APMEX?

Postby Beau » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:05 pm

I don`t know what happened, but I had to shut my computer down and run Norton
to get my computer where it would work on any site after going to APMEX.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:19 pm

A little slow, but works fine for me...
natsb88

Postby Beau » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:37 am

Well I had to try it again.
APMEX crashed my computer, so that is it.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:11 am

Are you guys running an outdated version of Flash? That might do it. I seriously doubt there is anything infectious on their site.
natsb88

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:57 am

Is it possible? - absolutely! Am I going to go test it to find out - you've got to be crazy! ;)

I got the worst viruses - the rootkit kind- I've even seen last summer 2010 after casual surfing at several common sites. I forgot where it started, but one of the major news sites was one, and a major travel site that my wife was looking at. Took forever to get rid of it, then got reinfected when she went back to one of the travel sites, and I had to put in an added real-time malware checker on top of replacing my previous virus checker. All told it took me down for month.

Further - because of this and my resulting paranoia, I now do a literal full updated double-scan (two different checkers) of the entire computer every night - it takes about 4 hours from 2am to 6am while I'm sleeping. Every once in awhile it catches something.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:41 am

I suggest you download these three free programs and run them on from time to time to check your computer:

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition

SpyBot Search and Destroy

Source: http://universitypccare.com/links/free- ... e-windows/
Copper Catcher

Postby Silver Addict » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:42 am

JP Morgan is behind it :lol:
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:44 am

Copper Catcher wrote:I suggest you download these three free programs and run them on from time to time to check your computer:

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition

SpyBot Search and Destroy

Source: http://universitypccare.com/links/free- ... e-windows/

I use the first and last - recommend them as well. For basic AV I am using Norton now (again, it became intolerable for a few years and I walked away from it, but they re-wrote it a couple years ago and it now ok again) as the basic AV. With MBAM, I ended up going for the paid-up real-time version, which is absolutely worth every inexpensive penny it cost. Rather than have to clean-up messes after the fact, it routinely prevents other malware that escapes from accessing badguy downloads.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby justoneguy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:43 pm

I don't use any protection on my computer. :D
it just feels more "natural" :oops:
but then again i format c drive a couple of times a year. :twisted:
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:42 pm

Wow, that was strange. My computer reacted badly just from reading this thread. I had to close realcent and restart my browser.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:06 pm

Nate, I took your advice and downloaded the most recent Flash player version. That may have been the problem as now I'm not having problems.
beauanderos

Postby natsb88 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:20 pm

beauanderos wrote:Nate, I took your advice and downloaded the most recent Flash player version. That may have been the problem as now I'm not having problems.

I've run into that myself (not specifically on APMEX but elsewhere). I disabled Adobe automatic updaters on some of my older systems (don't like stuff junking up the limited resources on those machines), and once I fall 2-3 versions behind in Flash it gets a little buggy.
natsb88

Postby beauanderos » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:32 pm

John, thanks for the links. Rich, thanks for the recommendation. Just paid for the bought version of the Malware ;)
beauanderos

Postby fansubs_ca » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:48 am

It seems fine to me but I have _no_ version of flash installed and have even turned off Java
for this same reason. The less stuff like that running, the less my browser crashes. It would
be nice if web developers re-learned how to make sites without that crud. -_-
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Yeah, it's like having a big garage or storage unit. Junk breeds to fill available space.

I wish web designers would stop thinking everyone has a "firehose feed", some of us have "trickle feed".
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:23 pm

use ESET for your anti-viral, anti-spam, and firewall needs. its a superior product, it feels like a mil spec quality computer security program. i've run norton, symantec, etc etc and found them lacking. but thats just me.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals