Nickel - Scrap yards? Other sources?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Nickel - Scrap yards? Other sources?

Postby NHsorter » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:29 pm

Does anyone know of a good source for nickel? I was wondering if there is a good source of it available, possibly at a discount. I have been saving the .999 Canadian nickles and I have bought some around spot price but I was wondering if there might be something that could be had for less than spot. If I were to stop by a scrap yard and ask if they had nickel, what should I expect to pay? Is there another source where I could buy something and dismantle it for nickel? Any hints would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for a way to get a stash built up while the price is relatively low. And if it drops much further, I want to really load up.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Nickel - Scrap yards? Other sources?

Postby natsb88 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:17 pm

I wouldn't expect to find any nickel at a scrap yard, except for what is alloyed in stainless :lol: I believe plating and steel alloying are the largest uses of nickel, and any scrap generated in those industries is reused internally. There isn't much Joe Six-Pack hauls to the scrap yard with appreciable quantities of pure nickel. Some electrical contacts contain nickel, but again in an alloy.

If you can buy Canadian nickels at or close to spot, that's as good as it gets. .999 nickel in industrial form at industrial quantities will still cost you a couple bucks over spot. I've tried :lol:
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:57 am

Thanks for the reply Nats. That is what I figured. I could not think of anything off the top of my head that contained pure nickel. I was just hoping that I was overlooking something. I guess I need to see how bad the logistics are for sorting my own Canadian nickles. The border is within driving distance. 4-hours up, 4-hours back. Hummmm...
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:54 pm

I do business with several scrap yards, and the only time I came across pure nickel in the past year was one large batch of pure nickel buttons /rounds that were probably leftover stock for manufacturing.

However, it doesn't hurt to ask your local scrap yard. They might have a small amount they've put aside because they're playing the market or they don't have a buyer for it.

Recycling companies that deal in alloys will almost certainly have some on hand, but they usually won't sell to the general public unless you're willing to buy a minimum quantity and pay reasonably close to spot price.

With Nickel below $8/lb right now, even if you do find a dealer with some they will be reluctant to part with it.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mtldealer » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:48 pm

I have a scrap yard... We buy nickel based alloys. Even if the nickel isn't pure .999 you can a rill trade in % nickel units. Some alloys that are high in nickel... Monel, hastalloy, x-750 Ill post a list later. The problem is that most people don't come across these types of metals unless your dealing with aircraft, aerospace or serious machine work. Then the problem is identifying what you have. I have a xrf gun that uses x Ray technology to I'd the metals. They are really expensive - around 30,000 dollars. If you want high content nickel, I'll put together some of the items I can offer?
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:02 pm

I have a xrf gun that uses x Ray technology to I'd the metals.

:cry: I want one..... anyone here feel like being Santa this year?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage