Any economists out there?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Postby 50centsaver » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:21 pm

If the global economy slows, I mean really slows like so many are saying it will, will gold, silver, copper, and nickel go up? or down?

And why?

If importing and exporting slow way down, many more jobs will be lost. People won't have money to spend.

Isn't is true that many people have to buy metals for them to go up? People out of work will be scraping by just to buy food and gas.
Many will have to sell what metals they have just to eat and drive.

My feeling is everything including metals will go down. :? Please tell me I'm wrong.
Last edited by 50centsaver on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
50centsaver
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Any economists out there?

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:41 pm

I believe you are right in your thinking. But thats just me. I think everything will go down in comparison to the FRN.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Beau » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:41 pm

50centsaver wrote:If the global economy slows, I mean really slows like so many are saying it will, will gold, silver, copper, and nickel go up? or down?

And why?

If importing and exporting slow way down, many more jobs will be lost. People won't have money to spend.

Isn't is true that many people have to buy metals for them to go up? People out of work will be scraping by just to buy food and gas.

My feeling is everything including metals will go down. :? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Sorry I can`t tell you that because you are right.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:50 pm

50centsaver wrote:If the global economy slows, I mean really slows like so many are saying it will, will gold, silver, copper, and nickel go up? or down?

And why?

Now lets throw a monkeywrench into it. Not only is the global ecomony slowing, but the basis for ALL money across the world crashes - The FRN. When, not if, but when the world unpegs from the FRN, you're metal holdings along with other real assets that you can hold in your hand go up in value. So yes, short term everything goes down, but long term - everything of "real" value goes up. Not necessarily vs the FRN because what happens when there is no FRN?

:? Everyone stop what you're doing and look at the crazy man in the room.

Your PM holdings will always have value vs whatever trumped up unit of currency TPTB dream up - IF THEY LET YOU KEEP THEM.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:05 pm

In theory everything you say makes logical sense and therefore one would think all metals will fall as the world economy tightens. However, during this deep U.S. recession several of the country's largest auction houses specializing in vintage sports memorabilia are setting all-time sales records and are experiencing record highs on countless rare baseball cards. In other words even though millions of Americans are seeing their discretionary income shrink, the number of millionaires has greatly increased and this is responsible for record prices being set in high-end collectibles.

I have a feeling that even though the average American will see their discretionary income further decline in the ensuing years, the number of rich will continue to increase as will the number of super rich. And if the silver market is truly being manipulated by super rich then perhaps the value of silver will NOT decline as one would otherwise think.

The rich pull the strings in the country and they will pull them the way they see fit. :twisted:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justoneguy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:03 am

another question is,
Do you have the kahunas to hold thru a gigantic dip in price ?
or will you have to sell your ASE's for $5 each to buy bread?
I believe that PM's are going to nose dive if/when we have a global depression.
Than later Bang, Zoom to the moon baby
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:31 am

And why?

You may be right in the short-term. A deflationary recession will bring asset prices down including gold and silver (temporarily). However, governments and central banks will respond with more money creation. This is why gold and silver are far better stores of value than unbacked fiat currencies which can be printed without any serious legal restrictions.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 50centsaver » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:10 am

"I believe that PM's are going to nose dive if/when we have a global depression.
Than later Bang, Zoom to the moon baby.."

Then doesn't it make sense to sell what gold and silver we have now, then BUY when it goes way down?
50centsaver
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:20 am

Agree - PMs will be nearly valueless, please sell everything you have to me... ASAP...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby barrytrot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:32 am

First off, the worst prognosticators of our time are "Economists". I'm talking about the famous ones. They are more all over the board than anyone and for some reason never take flak for being completely wrong. I wish my job was so easy!

Secondly, there are a thousand things that can happen if the "global economy" slows.

Thirdly, you need to remember that the many governments out there have about 50% of the money and about 1% of the "brain" and they will try to "create policy" which pretends to try to "help grow the economy". For anyone that thinks for 5 seconds it is laughable to have the most inefficient organization in the history of mankind trying to make the economy better.

Because of the "third" item above the odds of the "global economy" slowing without some ludicrous response from the government are probably nil. Since the government's creativity level is even smaller than it's intellectual capacity that likely means increasing inflation by pumping out more "paper money" so people say, "hey the economy is growing, my government check is now 25% higher." Meanwhile those with JOBS are taking it in the shorts.

Anyway, because of the governmental intervention the results of economic change are always different than they logically should be. And by different, I mean WORSE.

Could PM's go down? Possibly, but since the true inflation adjusted price of PM's is still quite low, I wouldn't count on that, especially in a "market" controlled primarily by ridiculous government policy.

Also, for this exercise remember that "going up or down" means in relation to FRN's. If there are twice as many FRN's then everything has the propensity to increase in "cost". Not everything will, of course, but most things will.
barrytrot

Postby beauanderos » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:28 am

Without taking the time to go back and see who raised each point, let me just say that... logically... your concerns are valid. But then consider this. You're worried that someone might have to liquidate their holdings in order to get by. Who would that be? Well, most likely... one of the 99%. One who, most likely, would not have that much worth socked away in precious metals in the first place, comparitively speaking, to one of the 1%. What is the statistic anyway? The top one percent control something like 50 or 70% of the wealth? Yes, in a recession or depression... there will be FEWER buyers for precious metals. Will this result in a pullback in prices? Not if those fewer buyers have GREATER wealth than the sellers. As this whole "race to the bottom" of depreciation of ALL global fiat currencies accelerates, those who are wealthy are beginning to wake up and smell the coffee. What do you think they talk about at their lavish soirees aboard their super yachts? As they cavort about in their expansive suites in the towers of Dubai? As they attend their polo matches or watch their stables of thouroughbreds race at the Kentucky Derby? Do you think they worry about gasoline going up? About the price of bread? Heck no, they laugh with sidesplitting mirth, at the travails of the little people... of the vanishing of the middle class... if they think about these issues or that social class, at all. Most likely, the middle class are invisible to them, a mere "working class" herd. No... what they talk about is finance. And in the world of jet-setters, they talk in millions of dollars, as we talk in hundreds. And as more and more billionaires purchase purchasing power insurance (they aren't "investing" as they don't need to earn money in that sense, they need to protect and preserve what they already have), it is becoming trendy to obtain gold in vast amounts, and that is what you would hear being whispered about in conversation, were you able to eavesdrop. Not so much so silver, as it is not easily sourced... but as the one percent will help ensure a continuous price rise of gold, so shall the 99% assist in the rise of silver. Yes... some people will be forced to sell what they have to in order to survive, money has a way of moving from weak hands to strong, but if you personally are approaching a point where you are considering selling low, with a plan to buy back lower... you might want to scrutinize your budget and see if there aren't lifestyle changes you could make, dramatically modifying your spending... even on a drastic basis, to increase your discretionary pool of funds, in order to preserve what precious metals you might have now. Even draconian measures to retain your REAL money would be preferable to cashing it in now, particularly if you're only going to "waste" the funds obtained on frivolous items like fancy electronics toys, Starbucks, dining out too often, the latest fashions, unnecessary vacation travel, an unneeded second car, etc. It is far better to scrimp NOW, in the name of delayed gratification... and purchase or maintain your precious metals stash, then it is to continue the self-indulgent lifestyle that most sheeple are engaged in, oblivious as they are to the economic crisis that continues to worsen about them. At some point in time, your stoicism will be rewarded, and you will no longer find living a spartan lifestyle exigent... but will instead be able to purchase ANYTHING you desire... because of the sacrifices you made earlier. IMHO
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby barrytrot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:52 am

Great analysis Beunaderos!
barrytrot

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:55 am

Thanks to both Ray and Barry for top notch comment...

(I hope the rest of you all recognize the tone of my previous post and that i'm not really suggesting that you sell...)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Mossy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:23 pm

I have to go back to re-read this more carefully, but something I think is a mistake that many people make is to try to make all commodities equal.

Cars and beans are both commodities. Today, a car might be worth a hundred 50# bags of beans. What about after a crash? A car is not worth even 5# of beans?

Also, boomers have loads of "stuff" that could all be called commodities. What relative values now? What relative values 5 years from now? Add to this that retiring boomers are going to want to turn these assets into money, and so are their heirs. All this collected and accumulated stuff is going to hit the market and it's going to lose value.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Mossy wrote:I have to go back to re-read this more carefully, but something I think is a mistake that many people make is to try to make all commodities equal.

Cars and beans are both commodities. Today, a car might be worth a hundred 50# bags of beans. What about after a crash? A car is not worth even 5# of beans?

Also, boomers have loads of "stuff" that could all be called commodities. What relative values now? What relative values 5 years from now? Add to this that retiring boomers are going to want to turn these assets into money, and so are their heirs. All this collected and accumulated stuff is going to hit the market and it's going to lose value.

The "collected stuff" is by-and-large NOT going to be PM's. Other than the people on this board and others, people's "stuff" includes JUNK and maybe an ounce or two of silver and/or gold in some jewelry form. That's it. a few hundred ounces or even pounds added to market, even of gold, is a micro-blip.
barrytrot

Postby Mossy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:07 pm

barrytrot wrote:The "collected stuff" is by-and-large NOT going to be PM's. Other than the people on this board and others, people's "stuff" includes JUNK and maybe an ounce or two of silver and/or gold in some jewelry form. That's it. a few hundred ounces or even pounds added to market, even of gold, is a micro-blip.

Truth.

My "collected stuff" is mostly garbage with value if I could use it. Even the extra ammo and rifles I bought have lower price tags than when I bought them. I got caught buying the wrong "stuff". As I look around /now/, I realize that everyone else bought the same "stuff", and the relative value of what I have is going to drop.

I allowed myself to be influenced by the "you can't eat gold" foolishness. It's going to cost me.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Mossy wrote:I allowed myself to be influenced by the "you can't eat gold" foolishness. It's going to cost me.

Especially since you CAN eat gold :)
barrytrot

Postby Mossy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:16 pm

50centsaver wrote:"I believe that PM's are going to nose dive if/when we have a global depression.
Than later Bang, Zoom to the moon baby.."

Then doesn't it make sense to sell what gold and silver we have now, then BUY when it goes way down?

Yeah, well, all last week we were hearing "bad week for PMs this week", meaning the market value was going to drop. Markets were closed from Weds to today, and this morning?

BOING!

You pays your nickle, you takes your chance.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby BamaJoe » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Some good comments here. I would just add that those with REAL money will not be will not be worried about selling their rolex or island vacation spots to buy peanut butter and bread - they will be buying real assets with an eye to the future.

Take a look at what gold and silver mining stocks in the 30's during the depression and massive deflation. History tells you what to expect in the future.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Mossy wrote:I have to go back to re-read this more carefully, but something I think is a mistake that many people make is to try to make all commodities equal.

Yeah I am sitting on a goldmine with all my McDonald Shriek glasses and Dale Earnheardt collector plates.

Ray has a point BUT you have gotta be careful folks. Don't forget to live a little. You can't take that silver and gold with you and your kids will just cash it in for cigarettes and lotto tickets when the old man finnaly kicks the bucket. As with everything: Find a balance.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:

Yeah I am sitting on a goldmine with all my McDonald Shriek glasses and Dale Earnheardt collector plates.

Ray has a point BUT you have gotta be careful folks. Don't forget to live a little. You can't take that silver and gold with you and your kids will just cash it in for cigarettes and lotto tickets when the old man finnaly kicks the bucket. As with everything: Find a balance.

Those who are late to the party on a limited budget, might want to live conservatively and build a nestegg of real money. If you've already done so, and you can sleep soundly at night with all that is transpiring about us... then sure, live a little. :mrgreen: It also makes a big difference if you're on your own, or part of a family. :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby dan53 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:49 pm

I think its the uncertainty created by a slowing economy, a faltering stock market, and spiraling energy costs that drives up the price of precious metals. I think thats ONE of the variables that affects pm prices.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Has a sovereign central bank experiment with a fiat currency ever ended well for the common citizen?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:14 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Any economists out there?

Has a sovereign central bank experiment with a fiat currency ever ended well for the common citizen?

Everyone that lived in the United States their whole life and is currently dead: YES for them.
barrytrot

Postby justoneguy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:14 pm

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals