Ryedale noise factor

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Ryedale noise factor

Postby Josh. » Sun May 20, 2012 7:33 pm

How loud is the Ryedale (Apprentice)? Is there a decibel rating anywhere, or something that it could be compared to? I'm in the stage of considering one, but living in an apartment it may simply not be feasible if it's going to make significant noise. Thanks for any information.
Last edited by Josh. on Sun May 20, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The above post does not contain professional advice or similar information.
Josh.

Re: Ryedale noise factor

Postby jacer333 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Welcome to the forum! While I can't provide you with any rating, I can relate to the noise problems with how annoyed family members get with the machine running! Contact Andy, or "ryedale" here and he can probably give you an estimate.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BlackOut » Sun May 20, 2012 8:53 pm

I lived in an apt too rarity recently and hardly used it due to the noise and we had very good walls there (older building). I was mostly concerned with people realizing what I was doing and then watching me carry thousands of dollars worth of dimes and halves in and out. Other than that, I probably would have run it even though the neighbors would have heard it. When I did run it, I cranked the radio and tv way up to try to drown out the noise. Andy has suggested covering the hopper with a book which does help a bit and also putting some foam tape on the backside of the Shute/slide which I haven't tried, but when I put my finger on it, there is a slight noise decreAse so it would work a bit. My hearing has gotten really bad the past few years (genetics) and I feel like I need to wear hearing
protection when running it now if that gives you a better idea of the noise level.
BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:35 pm

It does make quite a bit of noise. There's an app for a decibel meter, I'll download it at work tomorrow(want to use wifi). I'll post the reading then.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon May 21, 2012 12:03 am

Start with a canvas bag in your empty buckets. As they fill then remove. The nosie isn't that bad after the buckets get fuller.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Josh. » Mon May 21, 2012 1:54 am

Thanks for the information so far! I'm curious, is the main noise issue the coins being shot into the containers below? That's almost what it sounds like based on what TheJonasCollegeFund mentioned. Some of the videos on YouTube have a pretty loud motor sound when the Ryedale is running. But one of those was the Coin Artist - maybe the apprentice isn't that loud? For instance, is there more noise than when running a vacuum?

Again, I really appreciate the info. I may contact Andy with this query. And I'm also looking forward to hearing about the decibel reading.
Josh.

Postby JadeDragon » Mon May 21, 2012 3:57 am

combination of the feed wheel mixing the coins and the coins hitting each other on discharge. Vacuums would usually be louder, but lack the clink, clink which can be annoying.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby JobIII » Mon May 21, 2012 7:50 am

This machine is definitely loud enough to pass through walls. I would be more concerned with protecting your own hearing, then the feelings of your neighbors. If you were to get rid of the noise generated by coins striking each other, the rest may sound like mechanical humming to people in adjacent rooms.

Personally I'd be concerned with the weight of this hobby. A ryedale allows you to sort a lot of coin, which would add up to a lot of weight. It may seem crazy but you might want to make sure your apartment can handle storing that much copper and zinc. Personally I think your neighbors would be more put off by their ceiling caving in than the noise of the ryedale. :)

~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby My2Cents » Mon May 21, 2012 8:10 am

I say run the Ryedale until someone complains. The noise doesn't bother me, cuz that's the sound of MONEY :lol:
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon May 21, 2012 8:30 am

Run an automatic rolling machine at the same time to cover up the noise. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Madwest » Mon May 21, 2012 9:32 am

Crack the rolls ahead of time and sort in your car in the parking lot of your dump bank (or across the street from your dump bank). I've run my homemade sorter off of the 12V accy port of my SUV. You need a flat surface - trunk floor or cargo floor.

To power it, use an inverter or find a 12V adapter that plugs right in.
Madwest
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Josh. » Mon May 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. The car idea is interesting, but I don't have one (there are ~10 banks within a 15-minute walking distance, so this is no problem for picking up and dumping).

Would a Sniper complete with a separate hopper feeding a penny at a time be significantly quieter in terms of the mechanical side (example here)? As for efficiency, I'd rather use the Apprentice, but it's not really an issue since I'll probably never average more than $75 daily even with a sorter. Space, transportation, time, and zinc dumping all make me want to approach it more in a slow-and-steady fashion. If the Sniper could do 60 cents a minute (just a random guess, probably too low), $75 FV would be 2 hours of run time, which would be fine for me while having several minutes between needing to refill the hopper.
Josh.

Postby Engineer » Mon May 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Putting foam in the bottom of your buckets would help to cut down on the noise. If you wanted to get really serious about it, you could build an insulated enclosure.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Mon May 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Run a chainsaw in the apartment for an hour every couple days. Then, when you're only sorting, the neighbors will be grateful.

On the other hand, if the police ever came to answer a complaint, I wonder what would happen. Strange apparatus, bags of coin lying around...hmmm...Nerdy coin guy, or copper hoarding, government overthrowing economic terrorist? Can't you just see it on the local news...Man found with several tons of pennies in his apartment...film at 11
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby Ryedale » Mon May 21, 2012 2:18 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Run an automatic rolling machine at the same time to cover up the noise. :mrgreen:

belly laugh on that one...
Ryedale
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:40 pm

The free decibel meter app says 88db, I'm not sure how accurate it is though. 90db is the threshold where hearing damage starts. If you're worried about irritating your neighbors just don't sort at night. I sort in a room with the door shut and it doesn't bother anyone in the house.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Mon May 21, 2012 4:58 pm

I wouldn't worry about it, heck I've sat in datacenters for 20+ years and I can still hear. 88db would be right up on the compartitor. a few feet away drops really quickly. I use carpet parts in my buckets. Other than that... "My Hobby!"....don't care! That is what I would tell them.. lol
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JobIII » Tue May 22, 2012 10:41 pm

RichardPenny43 wrote:The free decibel meter app says 88db, I'm not sure how accurate it is though. 90db is the threshold where hearing damage starts. If you're worried about irritating your neighbors just don't sort at night. I sort in a room with the door shut and it doesn't bother anyone in the house.

With all due respect to Andy. Everyone should be protecting their ears with plugs or some other type of device. The ryedale IS loud enough to cause hearing damage. It is really important to consider using ear plugs, etc., if you're using the ryedale for continued periods of time in a confined space.

All I'm trying to get at is, many of us sit around the Ryedale for probably an hour maybe more at a time. There is a risk of exposing yourself to hearing loss the longer you run a Ryedale without protecting your ears.

This is not a jab at Andy or the Ryedale, it's just a safety precaution everyone should take.

~JobIII
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby Madwest » Wed May 23, 2012 3:29 pm

JobIII wrote:
RichardPenny43 wrote:The free decibel meter app says 88db, I'm not sure how accurate it is though. 90db is the threshold where hearing damage starts. If you're worried about irritating your neighbors just don't sort at night. I sort in a room with the door shut and it doesn't bother anyone in the house.

With all due respect to Andy. Everyone should be protecting their ears with plugs or some other type of device. The ryedale IS loud enough to cause hearing damage. It is really important to consider using ear plugs, etc., if you're using the ryedale for continued periods of time in a confined space.

All I'm trying to get at is, many of us sit around the Ryedale for probably an hour maybe more at a time. There is a risk of exposing yourself to hearing loss the longer you run a Ryedale without protecting your ears.

This is not a jab at Andy or the Ryedale, it's just a safety precaution everyone should take.

~JobIII

I work for a company that use to design and mfg medical devices for hearing loss diagnosis. The sense of hearing is more fragile that a lot of ppl realize. To many, diminished hearing is treated somewhat as a joke (getting old huh? can't hear so well huh? etc). With exposure to loud or repetitive noise, an ounce of prevention is worth many, many CTU of cure (a cure doesn't exist).

Get a cheap set of muffs (I use ones with an MP3 input for mowing, etc). I don't sit near my sorters, so I don't wear them for sorting cents. I wander away and just stay within earshot to listen for jams, etc. If you stay right near the equipment, you should have some protection.
Madwest
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed May 23, 2012 4:29 pm

JobIII wrote:stay right near the equipment, you should have some protection

Agreed...I use hearing protection when I sort. Try running multiple machines...it gets even louder. Something in the bottom of a bucket is better than nothing...I use the poly bags the cents come in....reduces the noise and the penny bounce.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby MUTiger » Wed May 23, 2012 6:49 pm

JobIII wrote:

~JobIII

I use my Bose quiet comfort headphones with no audio input. Makes the Ryedale only sound like a whisper.

mutiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:40 pm

JobIII wrote:This is not a jab at Andy or the Ryedale, it's just a safety precaution everyone should take.

+1
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JobIII » Thu May 24, 2012 9:36 am

I never had the chance to try noise cancelling headphones while running a ryedale. That's something I would have liked to experience.
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby snappy » Thu May 24, 2012 11:54 am

if the neighbors complain just say "we got a new adult toy"
snappy
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu May 24, 2012 12:58 pm

JobIII wrote:I never had the chance to try noise cancelling headphones while running a ryedale. That's something I would have liked to experience.

Then how would you hear....or not hear.....when it gets a jam! That's all I hear...or or notice. That stuff you guys are calling noise...is sweet music to my ears. :lol:
TheJonasCollegeFund

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing