If we shrank US debt by a $1 per a second

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

If we shrank US debt by a $1 per a second

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:01 pm

If the fed could reverse engines and start chipping away the national debt by a dollar a second, it would still take over 31,000 years to take it down a trillion dollars. So, if they could reverse engines and cut the debt by a $1000 per a second, it would take 31 years to chip away a trillion dollars. This is if we could cut spending and still service debt interest at the same time. What are the chances that enough payments or cuts will get done to even make principal payments go down? I mean, if Washington has some plan to contain the debt, what does it look like? Are they hoping that the economy can grow enough to produce tax revenue to pay off things? The longer the debt accrues, the more and more it looks like we are never going to pay down the debt and one day something has to give, either a black swan or painful tax levying.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: If we shrank US debt by a $1 per a second

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:58 am

The sovereign is king so they make and interpret the rules, so no confidence they won't find a way to steal the money and/or do the ever popular "strategic default"... so the corollary to this is to protect yourself don't keep any funds in any government bonds. (That's presuming you are willing to keep any money in any market - a separate topic.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Kurr » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:38 am

Every dollar, and credit in circulatioon was borrowed at interest from the fed.

To wipe out the "national debt" you would also have to "wipe out" the money supply and still have interest to deal with.

Mathematically impossible to pay it off.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:55 pm

Kurr wrote:Every dollar, and credit in circulatioon was borrowed at interest from the fed.

To wipe out the "national debt" you would also have to "wipe out" the money supply and still have interest to deal with.

Mathematically impossible to pay it off.

It just gets rolled over. The analogy of turning a Queen Mary around in a short span of space comes to mind. Like I said, even if they freeze the principal cost and chip away at it by taxes and cuts at a clip of a $1000 per a second, it still takes over 30 years to pay off a trillion dollars. By my calculations, they would have to lay off a half-million government workers to shore up the cuts in the worst case for that. Or make program cuts vis a vis. Not going to happen like that I bet. If anything, I see them going after more and more revenue sources.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:02 pm

68Camaro wrote:The sovereign is king so they make and interpret the rules, so no confidence they won't find a way to steal the money and/or do the ever popular "strategic default"... so the corollary to this is to protect yourself don't keep any funds in any government bonds. (That's presuming you are willing to keep any money in any market - a separate topic.)

We get a mixed message from the economy nowadays. I guess that is part of a free country. One side says things are getting better. The other side thinks things will have to hit a bottom. Some say welcome to the new normal. I ain't whining. In fact, human nature dictates I question WTF is going on. Just like anyone, I want some security on some level. Now, if you ask anyone if they think we live in a time different from the age of lords and kings and vassals and serfs and trolls under bridges, they'd say, what are you nuts, of course, we have all these gadgets and choices and rights. I don't think the system will ever Darwin-out those that want to be head rat.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions