South Africa Gold Strikes (1/3 production off line)

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

South Africa Gold Strikes (1/3 production off line)

Postby rsk1963 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:45 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/03/us-safrica-strikes-idUSBRE9820F220130903

thought about this, what does everyone think of using a UGLD on this, while we are in a stoppage period?
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Re: South Africa Gold Strikes (1/3 production off line)

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:55 pm

I think a US war in Syria is a better predictor of gold prices and this stoppage period a better predictor of the Rand's value, if you want to make 3X bets. But, I'm no expert.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Re: South Africa Gold Strikes (1/3 production off line)

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:10 pm

There is an ongoing strike in S. Africa's platinum mines. When it first came about, the price of platinum did nothing. At that time gold was higher than platinum. It rose since the strike, and the price per ounce is higher (again) than gold. The trickle down effect of the physical platinum market on the paper platinum market was not immediate, but has eventually (after months of striking) finally shown some effect. And that is considering a small market and a country that is a top 2 producer... Gold is a much bigger market and there are less reasons why the physical fresh out-of-the-ground supply would demonstrably affect paper pricing.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions