It is now illegal to spend US currency in Louisiana....

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

It is now illegal to spend US currency in Louisiana....

Postby frugi » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:56 pm

It is now illegal to spend US currency in Louisiana....on anything used or second hand. This is not a joke. I have went over and over the written law. I don't even live in Louisiana, but WTF! This is police state CRAP! another not so nice part of the new law is the fact that penalties are as tough as up to 10 years hard labor and $10,000.00 in fines. SO, again it is now illegal to purchase anything used or secondhand and use cash, you may only use an electronic payment or a means of such in a generated paper form such as a money order. Those exempt are city official doing city business, city employed waste removal services, used car sales, pawn shops, and not-for-profit foundations. Everyone else you are breaking the law. This includes estate sales, tag sales, garage sales, moving sales, auctions, flea markets, antique stores, anyone reselling from any vehicle or boat, etc. you are all now law breakers! WTF!

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201110 ... ales.shtml
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Re: It is now illegal to spend US currency in Louisiana....

Postby uthminsta » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Holy rights infringement, Batman! What the heck? Don't I have the right to use whatever currency I want? Can't I use leaves if the buyer and seller agree on terms? Where does law or government or governing AT ALL come into this?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:18 pm

How on earth did this bill get through? I would think that there would be some form of court challenge, but I have been wrong before. Un-freaking-believable.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:33 pm

Back in the good old days when we all followed the US Constitution... this would have been easily declared un-constitutional.

Now, who knows? Does anyone have $50,000 to $100,000 to take this onerous anti-garage sale law all the way to the US Supreme Court?
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:46 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Back in the good old days when we all followed the US Constitution... this would have been easily declared un-constitutional.

Now, who knows? Does anyone have $50,000 to $100,000 to take this onerous anti-garage sale law all the way to the US Supreme Court?

For what reason? Do you know how long it takes to get to the Supreme Court? By then Obama's second term will likely make all cash transactions illegal by Constitutional amendment. :(
barrytrot

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:05 pm

barrytrot wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Back in the good old days when we all followed the US Constitution... this would have been easily declared un-constitutional.

For what reason? Do you know how long it takes to get to the Supreme Court? By then Obama's second term will likely make all cash transactions illegal by Constitutional amendment. :(

For what reason? Barry, I am a little confused here by what you mean. The reason is to return our finances back to Constitutional legitimacy. This is clearly un-Constitutional, no?

Most citizens will just cow-tow to the law than fight it. It costs too much.

U.S. Constitution, Article One, Section 10: "No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation; grant letters of marque and reprisal; coin money; emit bills of credit; make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts; pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts, or grant any title of nobility."

This Louisiana law prohibits the use of money coined by the U.S. Mint for certain purchases. When you make a garage sale purchase, you are entering into a verbal contract to exchange value, same for same. If the price is $50.00 for a set of silverware, your obligation is to pay $50 for the silverware. This law prohibits you doing so.

It is really a good example of how far we have fallen from Liberty. The Congress stopped the Mint from coining lawful money decades ago. Without lawful money available to the citizenry, this is all moot. If Obama wins a second term, God help us!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:15 pm

Since the 1099 requirement of the Obama Care was rescinded, this will be the most ignored law in the USA.

Maybe second to smokin pot. We should all enjoy ignoring stupid laws.

I hope my good friend beau experiences great joy ignoring this one.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Thogey wrote:Since the 1099 requirement of the Obama Care was rescinded, this will be the most ignored law in the USA.

I can't remember what organization made this statement, but it has been said that the average citizen breaks an average of five laws a day and doesn't even know it. I hear ya, Thogey.

This one will be hard to ignore if second hand retailers have people breathing down their necks on enforcement.

What if the buyer does not have anything but cash to pay for their debts? There are many people out there without bank accounts and credit cards. What are they suppose to do?
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:30 pm

I've heard two possible reasons. First was to provide a means of tracking sales of scrap metal, such as stolen power lines, and the other is to require a means of tracking firearms. Take your choice.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:36 pm

In AZ you (AZ resident) can buy a gun from a private party with cash, put the loaded gun in your pocket, walk off, and it's all legal.

you cannt sell scrap copper without ID. But we can still do it with cash.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby barrytrot » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:39 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:For what reason? Barry, I am a little confused here by what you mean. The reason is to return our finances back to Constitutional legitimacy. This is clearly un-Constitutional, no?

U.S. Constitution, Article One, Section 10: "No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation; grant letters of marque and reprisal; coin money; emit bills of credit; make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts; pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts, or grant any title of nobility."

This Louisiana law prohibits the use of money coined by the U.S. Mint for certain purchases. When you make a garage sale purchase, you are entering into a verbal contract to exchange value, same for same. If the price is $50.00 for a set of silverware, your obligation is to pay $50 for the silverware. This law prohibits you doing so.

It is really a good example of how far we have fallen from Liberty. The Congress stopped the Mint from coining lawful money decades ago. Without lawful money available to the citizenry, this is all moot. If Obama wins a second term, God help us!

I said "for what reason" because it is a *pointless excercise*. Someone would have to spend YEARS of their valuable time fighting an *un-winnable war*.

You think this is the last of these type changes? Nope. Many more will follow.

Fighting this to the "Supreme Court" (which is a political enterprise also) is pointless. It takes YEARS to get there if you even do as they have to accept your case.

And by that time there will be far more things exactly like this in place.

If it were winnable I would say it's worth the multi-year fight. But it is not winnable.
barrytrot

Postby Thogey » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
Thogey wrote:Since the 1099 requirement of the Obama Care was rescinded, this will be the most ignored law in the USA.

I can't remember what organization made this statement, but it has been said that the average citizen breaks an average of five laws a day and doesn't even know it. I hear ya, Thogey.

This one will be hard to ignore if second hand retailers have people breathing down their necks on enforcement.

What if the buyer does not have anything but cash to pay for their debts? There are many people out there without bank accounts and credit cards. What are they suppose to do?

Dude, its Lousiana, a little grease goes a long way. The only folks found guilty of violating this law are the ones who refuse to job the 'system'. This is a joke.

So a Goodwill in LA can't sell a used shirt for a buck without a paper trail?
Thogey

Postby frugi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:17 pm

actually the not for profit's are exempt from the law. I do believe Goodwill is a for profit company, though.
But Salvation Army is a not for profit. Also exempt are pawn shops, and gov't employess doing gov't business, and used car sales are also exempt according to how I read the law.__________________________________
_______________________________________________________here is the edit.......I forgot to mention, also exempt is numismatic coin purchases, and "registered" bullion bars, rounds, etc.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:52 am

barrytrot wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:For what reason? Barry, I am a little confused here by what you mean. The reason is to return our finances back to Constitutional legitimacy. This is clearly un-Constitutional, no?

I said "for what reason" because it is a *pointless excercise*. Someone would have to spend YEARS of their valuable time fighting an *un-winnable war*.

You think this is the last of these type changes? Nope. Many more will follow.

Fighting this to the "Supreme Court" (which is a political enterprise also) is pointless. It takes YEARS to get there if you even do as they have to accept your case.

And by that time there will be far more things exactly like this in place.

If it were winnable I would say it's worth the multi-year fight. But it is not winnable.

Barry, I got your point, but you missed mine. When I wrote: "Does anyone have $50,000 to $100,000 to....." I was illustrating how such an exercise was futile over pocket change purchases.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:23 am

It also must be illegal for children to attend school beyond the 4th grade. There's your answer.

I really think that it's due to the gene pool being depleted as the cajuns inbreed too much. I love New Orleans, crawdad etouffe and everything else LA, but these folks need to get a grip on reality and start re-reading the Constitution...and understand the basics of economics. This is just a ploy to track purchases to recover what they consider to be lost sales tax revenue.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Beau » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:12 pm

well guys I live in Louisiana. I don`t have any checks left so I`am going out and break the law, paying cash.
I will have a steak and everything to go with it then if they don`t catch me I will fill up my car, got to WalMart.

so it has been nice knowing everyone here.
I will spend cash, then to jail I go.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

PS do the jails let you have a laptop that I just payed cash for?

this is kinda funny this just 2 days after [all] including, state elections on Saturday.

everyone thinks we are a bunch of inbreed Cajuns, but that is just the southern one third of Louisiana, where the graduation is at the end of first year.
you can go to higher grades if your dad walks you to school, and is in the same grade you are.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby texcollex » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Control.
"Give me your account number. What? Only cash? Get outta here you bum before you get us both arrested!"

Control.

"We see here Mr. Jones that you have recent made several purchases of food significantly in excess of you family's needs..."
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Postby John_doe » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:42 am

This type of tyranny is exactly why I am buying cad.

There will come a time when I just say enough is enough. They don't even follow their own rules, how can they expect anyone else to obey them.

They are making a mockery of the judicial system.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions