I like my bank

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

I like my bank

Postby Metalhead » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:33 pm

I've only done a little bit of penny sorting, did about $100 worth last winter. For some reason yesterday I got the itch to do some more so I went and picked up a $25 box. I only sorted a handful of rolls so far, but had pretty good results! Almost all of them had wheat pennies in them, one of them even had two. Also found a 1944 canadian cent. Overall I think I was getting about 30% copper. Is it normal to find so many wheat pennies? I wish I would have started keeping track of exactly how many I got last night, but it seemed higher than usual.

Oh as a side question, is it worth it at all to hang on to the 2009 series? I like them and I figured since they only came out one year that I would hold on to them. Its a shame there aren't made out of better metal because they really go downhill fast.
Metalhead

Re: I like my bank

Postby slickeast » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:10 pm

The only way imo to keep any 2009's is if you have a roll of uncirculated or a box of unc. They sold for a premium when they were released. The premiums quickly dropped significantly. The quality of the coins diminished quickly due to over use of the dies.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Metalhead » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Interesting. I rarely find them in public though, its strange. I see more shields now than I ever did the log cabins. Well, its not like they are taking up too much space so I guess I'll hold on to them! I don't even have a rolls worth of each yet.
Metalhead

Postby slickeast » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:05 pm

You don't see them in circulation much because everyone and their brother bought a box. So if everyone has some, how are they going to become rare?
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby chris6084 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:22 pm

slickeast wrote:You don't see them in circulation much because everyone and their brother bought a box. So if everyone has some, how are they going to become rare?

They wont. Like you said, everybody bought a box. I sold many of them. There were so many of these minted, they are not rare by any means. Everybody who wanted them has them. Anybody who wants them in the future will have tons of people willing to sell them just to get rid of them. The most profitable time to sell them was in 2009.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing