Canadian copper

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Canadian copper

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been able to aquire a source for Canadain copper pennies and was wondering what kind of interest you guys would have in them. I will have access to several tons a week. PM or post questions and comments.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Re: Canadian copper

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:59 pm

Can they legally be melted in the US?
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tbram88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:33 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:Can they legally be melted in the US?

There are no laws in US forbidding the defacing of foreign coins that I am aware of.

Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby justj2k78 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:58 pm

I get a fairly steady supply of Canadian Copper (albeit on a much smaller scale)... with Canadian Copper at 98%, American at 95% - Does this make Canadian more desirable?
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jerry278 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:11 pm

justj2k78 wrote:I get a fairly steady supply of Canadian Copper (albeit on a much smaller scale)... with Canadian Copper at 98%, American at 95% - Does this make Canadian more desirable?

I may be mistaken, but yes I believe generally this does make canadian more desirable. However depending upon the years the weight of the coin can differ drastically. Like .5 of a gram difference sometimes if not more, so you gotta check the dates. The fact that its 98% compared to 95% makes it slightly more desirable. That 3% difference cant hurt. I cannot speak on the laws regarding foreign coins however.
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:15 pm

I would like to acquire a source like that. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Snake42 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:54 pm

I would like to know about the legalities of melting these coins.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby barrytrot » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:02 pm

http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/customer- ... aq-1100010

Search for "illegal".

So the question is: Is it legal for people within the United States to melt Canadian coins?

The answer is technically "no" as this would still be breaking the Canadian law, as their coinage is still theirs wherever you put it.

Will it be enforced? Good question. The answer is probably "no" unless you are doing it at a multi-ton level over a period of time.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:12 pm

If convicted, would you spend your time in a Canadian prison or a US facility?

And would the time be shorter or longer in Canadian prison based on the current exchange rates? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby barrytrot » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:17 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:If convicted, would you spend your time in a Canadian prison or a US facility?

And would the time be shorter or longer in Canadian prison based on the current exchange rates? :mrgreen:

You would spend time in a US facility until extradited to Canada. I'm guessing based on the civility of the Canadians that their prisons are quite nice though :)
barrytrot

Postby tbram88 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:52 am

What I want to know is, once melted how can 98% copper be refined into .999? I read somewhere that you can boil the copper and the zinc will burn off, but I can't confirm it.

Its too bad all of those Canadian cents are in Portland, shipping would be a killer. Unless it can be refined, melting would be a waste of time.

All the best...Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:31 am

barrytrot wrote:http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/customer-service/faq-1100010

Search for "illegal".

So the question is: Is it legal for people within the United States to melt Canadian coins?

The answer is technically "no" as this would still be breaking the Canadian law, as their coinage is still theirs wherever you put it.

Will it be enforced? Good question. The answer is probably "no" unless you are doing it at a multi-ton level over a period of time.

Yes, its illegal in Canada! Does Canada have any jurisdiction here in the U.S?? NO! Do you think the U.S is really going to care? Not unless Canada throws a fit. Than the U.S will simply shut you down. There is people who export and melt down Canadian on a weekly basis. Maduece from the old site also got some of his nickel refined.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:33 am

Also if Canada cared that much than why wouldn't there be an export ban on their coins???
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:34 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I would like to acquire a source like that. :mrgreen:

Well you can aquire the copper through me. :)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby pennypicker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:11 am

tbram88 wrote:What I want to know is, once melted how can 98% copper be refined into .999? I read somewhere that you can boil the copper and the zinc will burn off, but I can't confirm it.

Its too bad all of those Canadian cents are in Portland, shipping would be a killer. Unless it can be refined, melting would be a waste of time.

All the best...Bob.

I don't know what procedure is required to convert 98% cu pennies into .999....but it seems it would be a little easier and a little less expensive process than converting 95% cu pennies into .999. :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby psi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:27 pm

The two countries do have mutual extradition treaties from what I understand, probably it would be wise for anyone who intended to melt coins to get legal advice first. From the Canadian side there seemingly is no problem with export aside from the $10k declaration limit, but a Canadian shipping coins to someone who they knew intended to melt them might also be violating Canadian law.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:34 pm

There is a long tradition of taking coins from one country and melting them in another. Here is an interesting thread on the same question http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topi ... C_ID=82593
And this is an interesting read. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... -coin.html
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Copper Member » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:00 am

I don't know what law you would be breaking. I mean you are in the US. Unless there is a law on the US books regarding the melting of Canadian pennies(which I highly doubt) ,there is no offense. I would suppose that the Canadian selling those pennies would be subject to the Canadian laws regarding the export of the pennies. You can't hardly be guity of a law from 1 country if the offense is legal in the country the offense is committed. I suppose that is why Amsterdam is so popular.
check me out on facebook Lake's Coin's and Militaria
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:09 am

Copper Member wrote:I don't know what law you would be breaking. I mean you are in the US. Unless there is a law on the US books regarding the melting of Canadian pennies(which I highly doubt) ,there is no offense. I would suppose that the Canadian selling those pennies would be subject to the Canadian laws regarding the export of the pennies. You can't hardly be guity of a law from 1 country if the offense is legal in the country the offense is committed. I suppose that is why Amsterdam is so popular.

The difference here is that the property rights of one country or even person go beyond national boundaries.
barrytrot

Postby psi » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:47 am

Not exactly a perfect analogy (completely different legal charge and the countries are reversed) but for a fairly recent example of a Canadian citizen who was extradited for breaking US law from within Canada, search "Marc Emery". It seems that extradition requires political will from both sides though, and it may well be very unlikely or even completely unprecedented for melting coins. For a currency related example I came across something on Sean Garland, an IRA member allegedly involved in distributing counterfeit US currency (N. Korean "superdollars") outside the US. He has not been extradited to date but the US government has asked for his extradition from Ireland.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:08 pm

I know in Canada, for the first time ever, a man was charged under Canadian law with a crime he committed while outside Canada. This case is ongoing and is going to be used to set a precedent.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:31 am

psi wrote:Not exactly a perfect analogy (completely different legal charge and the countries are reversed) but for a fairly recent example of a Canadian citizen who was extradited for breaking US law from within Canada, search "Marc Emery". It seems that extradition requires political will from both sides though, and it may well be very unlikely or even completely unprecedented for melting coins. For a currency related example I came across something on Sean Garland, an IRA member allegedly involved in distributing counterfeit US currency (N. Korean "superdollars") outside the US. He has not been extradited to date but the US government has asked for his extradition from Ireland.

Marc Emery while based in Canada, was selling pot seeds in the USA. The American figure that is illegal because he was selling the product in the USA, and I tend to agree.

Passing counterfeit currency of any country tends to be illegal everywhere. If you passed counterfeit Canadian currency or stock certificates or even handbags in the USA you would be committing a crime.

The case referenced in another post I presume involve child prostitution. The laws against being involved in child prostitution are very specific about making it illegal anywhere in the world for a Canadian resident. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Canada
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby psi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:21 am

One thing I didn't realize about the coin melting laws in Canada is that the maximum penalty is 12 months in prison and/or a $250 (!) fine, plus seizure of the materials. The fact that a relatively short prison sentence is involved might reduce the chances that anyone would bother going through with extradition. My point with those two examples was just that both people were non-US citizens who were accused of breaking US law while (apparently) remaining physically outside US borders. The counterfeiting case I thought was interesting because it appears that no part of the offense was alleged to have taken place within the US, yet there was still an appeal to have him extradited and tried under US domestic law. Frugalcanuck's example is a little different because at least the country is charging its own citizen.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:04 pm

barrytrot wrote:
Copper Member wrote:I don't know what law you would be breaking. I mean you are in the US. Unless there is a law on the US books regarding the melting of Canadian pennies(which I highly doubt) ,there is no offense. I would suppose that the Canadian selling those pennies would be subject to the Canadian laws regarding the export of the pennies. You can't hardly be guity of a law from 1 country if the offense is legal in the country the offense is committed. I suppose that is why Amsterdam is so popular.

The difference here is that the property rights of one country or even person go beyond national boundaries.

An off the books answer from a lawyer told me that a Canadain in the U.S is still bound by the melting rules even though they are in the U.S. An American citizen doesn't have to abide by Canadain law, while in the U.S, as long as the coin was legally brough to the U.S. Unless the U.S makes a law stating its illegal to melt coinage from other countries inside the U.S you are peferectly safe.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Copper Member » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:15 pm

That's what I thought.
check me out on facebook Lake's Coin's and Militaria
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing