Good news, bad news

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Good news, bad news

Postby ed_vantage17 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Good news: Just got a 40%+ Cu String box.
Bad news: The bank where I got it has just informed me that I'm now limited to four boxes a week.

I'm going to try and find out who their armored carrier is and try to find out what other banks in town they supply. I'd hazard a guess that at least all the branches of this bank are serviced by the same company. I've always gotten 28%-32% before but nothing this good.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Good news, bad news

Postby timmus0382 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:10 pm

You can only get 4 per week now? What were you getting before that? My best bank gives me 10 per week, I wonder if that is going to be short lived. I guess it depends on the delivery guy and how long he can deal with lugging in all my boxes from his truck.
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby pennypicker » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:57 pm

ed_vantage17 wrote:I've always gotten 28%-32% before but nothing this good.

I only average 16%. I would do cartwheels & stand on my head to get an average like yours. :lol:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:20 pm

timmus0382 wrote:You can only get 4 per week now? What were you getting before that? My best bank gives me 10 per week, I wonder if that is going to be short lived. I guess it depends on the delivery guy and how long he can deal with lugging in all my boxes from his truck.

The past two weeks, I'd gone for 6 boxes. Went in Monday to place my order (6 again) and the head teller seemed a little grumpy. Picked up today and she broke the news. I'd turn it into a dump bank, but the Cu lode is just so rich I'll take what I can get.

Averaged a hair over 34% for 6 boxes this week. My best yet.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:36 pm

TD Bank says I need to open a commercial account if I want any more coin. So that's what I plan on doing tomorrow. Conjure up a business name, make a one time minimum deposit, and get the all important acct number.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby CardsNCoins » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Morsecode wrote:TD Bank says I need to open a commercial account if I want any more coin. So that's what I plan on doing tomorrow. Conjure up a business name, make a one time minimum deposit, and get the all important acct number.

Don't banks require appropriate paperwork and a raised seal stamp when opening an account for a business?
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:25 pm

Not unless that is something new. I opened a business account two years ago for a landscaping company (sole proprietor) and all they needed was the name of the company and my social.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Pachucko » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Morsecode wrote:TD Bank says I need to open a commercial account if I want any more coin. So that's what I plan on doing tomorrow. Conjure up a business name, make a one time minimum deposit, and get the all important acct number.

What kind of fees are you looking at?
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:47 pm

I think I was paying $5 month when the average daily balance went below $2500, which was almost always. I'll find out the new deal tomorrow.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Economist » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:13 pm

Ed (and everyone else), have you been taking care of your tellers? I have a standing weekly order of 12 boxes at a bank where I don't even have an account. The tellers are great there, though, and I take care of them. I also take care of my dump tellers, every time.
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Morsecode » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:52 pm

My tellers are almost as upset as I am. They, unfortunately, don't set policy.

I've also had some luck at a bank here in town, with no account. They just hand 'em over...rolls, box, whatever. Still have the Credit Union, too. But TD, by default, has been the best supplier for String boxes (up to 30% yields here), primarily because there are 15+ branches within 10 miles of my house. Maybe more.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:12 pm

So 4 boxes at each of the 15 branches.. that's 60 boxes.. not enough for some folks.. but a reasonable supply.. and you can always source pennies from other banks.

When I first read this I saw the 40% and was thinking they were going to limit you to 4 boxes of half dollars each week.. so I'm thinking.. that's not so bad. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby VWBEAMER » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:14 pm

Dang, I only sort $100 a week.... :(
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Think of all the trouble you save of having to dump significant amounts of zinc. That's the beauty of this hobby.. you can play at whatever level you feel comfortable and what your schedule allows. Some of us slide wildly up and down the scale from week to week depending on how busy we are with other things. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby slickeast » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:24 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote: Some of us slide wildly up and down the scale from week to week depending on how busy we are with other things. :mrgreen:

You got that right.

I am all over the place with my sorting recently. Might be $1500 one week, then none for a week. It all depends on my work/personal schedule.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby ed_vantage17 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:29 pm

I'm just flipping my initial nut. Started with 2 boxes and a $15 FV lot on feeBay a few months back. I'm to the point where it seems I need more than one pick up branch. It's all good though. Just growing my business.

My realcent feedback.

ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing