Finally did it

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Finally did it

Postby avidbrandy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:45 pm

after reading the recent thread on the take a penny bowls at gas station, I realized I have a long way to go. Today I finally made my first achievement. I went grocery shopping today and had 73c in change. Asked for a roll of pennies back and got it. Very happy with doing it. :D Just wanted to share.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Finally did it

Postby NotABigDeal » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:01 pm

Baby steps, hehe....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby merchoarder » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Good for you! I've done that once or twice but should try doing it more. Its amazing how easy it is to get comfortable asking for pennies, nickels etc. When I first started sorting I was a little nervous about asking but then I realized I'm not doing anything wrong, why be nervous? The worst that can happen is they say no. As long as your always polite and smiling very rarely do you hear no in my experience. Of course, I'm small time, so I'm never asking for anything too outrageous (yet) :lol:

You'll be snagging those coppers out of trays in no time (if you haven't already started)!
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby adagirl » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Good job - keep at it. persistance pays off
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Verbane » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:36 pm

I remember when I used to cringe every time I went to a dump bank machine with 100 or so. Now I have the audacity to dump several hundred and ask for CWR in return. Never hesitate to ask for rolled coin in return, anywhere, or lean a bit into the counter to see if there are halves sitting in the change drawer.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:18 pm

I always get shorted when I ask for a roll of pennies as change
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Chief » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:33 pm

Always take the free copper that you find in the give a penny, take a penny trays. Good luck!
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby daviscfad » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:52 pm

TXBullion wrote:I always get shorted when I ask for a roll of pennies as change

lol thats no good.
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ed_vantage17 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:16 pm

I've never been shy in asking for pennies at the bank (8,12,16 boxes). I've been a active member of wheresgeorge.com for years and I'm used to strange looks when dealing with currency. Try buying $80 in groceries with 40 $2 bills with wheresgeorge.com boldly stamped on them. After that, asking for or spending pennies is child's play.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:32 pm

I just tried to pay for some stuff at the grocery store with 2011 penny rolls, and they rejected them saying the rolls weighed in too light. Hilarious.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:47 pm

avidbrandy wrote:I just tried to pay for some stuff at the grocery store with 2011 penny rolls, and they rejected them saying the rolls weighed in too light. Hilarious.

HEB? They weighed them with what...a scale in the fruits & vegetables area? You should have just busted the rolls open, thrown them all over the register and then yelled "COUNT 'EM!" ...and spent the night in jail. Were you in uniform?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:15 am

Sorry I just needed to hijack a thread for my 200th post:)
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:14 am

Congratulations bankmining.

And yes shin it was an HEB. I'm not sure where they weighed it at, but it took them about 8 minutes. There were some grumpy customers in the 10 items are less line behind me. I try to be considerate of other people in the store, because I get annoyed by things such as old women taking 15 minutes to write a check and such. Still I thought it was really funny that they said it was 'too light'. I'm gonna try some other places.

No I wasn't in uniform. If I was I probably should of come with them all loose in a bag and begged that I don't have the money for food otherwise. I try to avoid doing most of my penny fun in uniform, except the banks I use on bases.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Then they must have been comparing them to the weight of a roll of pennies that they had in their vault that contained some true coppers. No way they knew that a 2011 weighs 2.5gms. Hilarious is right.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing