Why Would You Consider Buying a Ryedale?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

To increase the speed of my sorting
42%
I'm tired of handsorting
No votes
It just seems like it would be alot of fun
7%
In order to create a business, sell the sorts
11%
To increase the size of my hoard
22%
To give myself free time to enjoy other things
9%
Other, please explain
9%

Total votes : 45

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:35 am

Time is money. Ryedale's are expensive. Why did you, or would you, consider buying one? How do you justify the expense? At what point would you think to yourself... "well, that just paid for itself?"
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Why Would You Consider Buying a Ryedale?

Postby John_doe » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:52 am

beauanderos wrote:Time is money. Ryedale's are expensive. Why did you, or would you, consider buying one? How do you justify the expense? At what point would you think to yourself... "well, that just paid for itself?"

I sorted by hand for 2 years, then decided to buy a ryedale. I have multiplyed my hoard 5x in just a few months. Not to mention saved my back.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby PennyPauper » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:03 am

I learned so much while handsorting during the first year.Very valuable experience.
$500 seemed like a lot of money for a machine.But it's turned out to be worth so much more.
I have 2 now,they are worth every cent.If you can find enough to sort,it can pay for itself in one month.Rest is gravy ;)
The time it saves is its best feature.And it is really cool 8-)
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:22 am

The unfortunate thing about the wording of the choices is that those of us without a Ryedale can't see the results unless we screw up the stats wtih a bogus reply...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:08 am

68Camaro wrote:The unfortunate thing about the wording of the choices is that those of us without a Ryedale can't see the results unless we screw up the stats wtih a bogus reply...

It wouldn't be bogus... just give it your best guess as to what might compel you to buy a Ryedale if you don't own one now. I know the correct answer would reflect a combination of the reasons listed... but there was still probably one primary reason that goaded/would goad you to buy one.
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:14 am

beauanderos wrote:
68Camaro wrote:The unfortunate thing about the wording of the choices is that those of us without a Ryedale can't see the results unless we screw up the stats wtih a bogus reply...

It wouldn't be bogus... just give it your best guess as to what might compel you to buy a Ryedale if you don't own one now. I know the correct answer would reflect a combination of the reasons listed... but there was still probably one primary reason that goaded/would goad you to buy one.

Alright, I voted.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby motos » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:48 am

You can click "View Results". Doesn't have to screw up anything.

I hand sorted for about 7 months. Bought a Ryedale and within 2 months of sorting with that I sold 350lbs and payed for my machine outright and then some. Now everything is just profit!
An economist's guess is liable to be as good as anybody else's. - Will Rogers
motos
Penny Sorter Member

Postby avidbrandy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:02 am

I realized that copper was somethings I wanted to invest in and did the math. It pays itself off in less than 2 months for the amount I'm able to do now even if I sold at 1.6. Decided to buy because I plan on holding on to the copper.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:33 am

motos wrote:You can click "View Results". Doesn't have to screw up anything.

Ah - you're so right! Had long missed that little link. Thanks! :)
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:40 am

I hand sorted for about 7 months. Bought a Ryedale and within 2 months of sorting with that I sold 350lbs and payed for my machine outright and then some. Now everything is just profit!

Okay, don't mean to be confrontational... but explain that math to me? So you made $151.43 profit per each CTU you sold? That would be great! I usually only make $43 a lot after shipping and other costs, so to pay off a Ryedale I'd have to sell more than 12 boxes. Maybe you're referring to paying off the differential in equity value that Rodie was mentioning? :?
beauanderos

Postby rulesforrebels » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:20 pm

My main reason for buying one will be b/c I want to start selling my sort.

Personally I woudln't consider the Ryedale paid off just because I collected $500 worth of melt value in copper pennies, my paid off would be I sold enough pennies on ebay taht the profit totalled $500. With investments there's really no loss or gain until you sell for the most part.
Free Lists Of Upcomming Storage Auctions For All 50 States
http://freestorageauctionlists.blogspot.com
rulesforrebels

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Because 4 is just not enough! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby myfundsarelow » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:03 pm

just think about the tools you buy, plus your car and other items you buy, you dont use them al lthe time but when you use them they pay you back each time you use them, I'M starting to sound like yogi, so its up to you to have the tools to do the job for less time put in PEACE!!
myfundsarelow
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:41 pm

rulesforrebels wrote:My main reason for buying one will be b/c I want to start selling my sort.

Personally I woudln't consider the Ryedale paid off just because I collected $500 worth of melt value in copper pennies, my paid off would be I sold enough pennies on ebay taht the profit totalled $500. With investments there's really no loss or gain until you sell for the most part.

I disagree completely. What is 'selling'? Is it when you transfer your item back into USD? Because I considered that selling then sure. However I try to keep only what I need in USD as I don't consider cashing out in USD to ever be 'profit'. Seems like an ignorant concept.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rulesforrebels » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:53 am

I guess I'm kinda confused by what your saying. What I gather you dont value the US dollar so you wouldn't want to turn your metal back into dollars? Is that what you are saying?

My point I guess was comming from an investing standpiont of investing in stocks for example. Say I buy Clearwire at $5 and it goes up to $10. I technically havn't made anything until I sell that stock because potentially next week it will be back at $5. In the same token if my stock drops to $1 I havn't lost anything until I've sold because it can come back up.

Don't get me wrong I think copper has nowhere to go but up, but I still wouldn't consider my $500 Ryedale paid off just because I collected $500 worth of copper pennies. I would consider my Ryedale paid off when I had sorted and sold enough pennies on ebay to make $500 and cover all my ebay and shipping fees.
rulesforrebels

Postby avidbrandy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:51 am

No I understand that and I hear that a lot from financial advisers and such, but I think it's flawed logic. If I have an ounce of gold, it is worth one ounce of gold. That will never change. Saying that you have to sell it for USD before you can mark your loss or gain implies that only a USD has 'real' value. If I have 100 USD, and we get 11% inflation this year, (which is the track we're on right now.) I still have 100USD, but did I lose money? F yea I did! Because my final item is not a USD. It's whatever I choose later to purchase with it, like gas for my car. I can purchase less gas for my car now, with the same USD. Did gas go up? Sure a bit. Did the USD go down 15% in the last 6 months. Yep.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby motos » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:01 am

beauanderos wrote:

Okay, don't mean to be confrontational... but explain that math to me? So you made $151.43 profit per each CTU you sold? That would be great! I usually only make $43 a lot after shipping and other costs, so to pay off a Ryedale I'd have to sell more than 12 boxes. Maybe you're referring to paying off the differential in equity value that Rodie was mentioning? :?

Sold 350lbs in 5 70lb buckets. 200 dollars per bucket. 5*200 = 1000 dollars. Ryedale cost me 500 dollars. So I broke the 500 dollar investment barrier and then made another 500 dollars. Now everything else I sort is profit.

Of course I now realize you might be thinking that the included price of the actual penny is what's wrong. In that case I paid for my machine solely but I have already sorted another 70 lbs so anything after THAT is profit. Sorry for confusion : )
Last edited by motos on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
An economist's guess is liable to be as good as anybody else's. - Will Rogers
motos
Penny Sorter Member

Postby rulesforrebels » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:02 am

avidbrandy wrote:No I understand that and I hear that a lot from financial advisers and such, but I think it's flawed logic. If I have an ounce of gold, it is worth one ounce of gold. That will never change. Saying that you have to sell it for USD before you can mark your loss or gain implies that only a USD has 'real' value. If I have 100 USD, and we get 11% inflation this year, (which is the track we're on right now.) I still have 100USD, but did I lose money? F yea I did! Because my final item is not a USD. It's whatever I choose later to purchase with it, like gas for my car. I can purchase less gas for my car now, with the same USD. Did gas go up? Sure a bit. Did the USD go down 15% in the last 6 months. Yep.

Okay, that makes sense. You make a good point as well. I was kinda wrestling with that same issue myself. If I do up my sorting do I want to keep it all for myself or do I want to sell it to get some $ income comming in from them.

I was thinking about selling half of what I sort and keeping the rest for myself. You figure you can always use the profits from selling your sort to buy silver or gold as well if you like though again your going to pay a markup where your copper was essentially free.

Although as I'm sure you know what we often think in our heads is not necessarily the best idea or even most logical but in my head for me to justify buying a Ryedale and want to recoup my investment in dollars and have that money back in my bank account before I consider my machine paid off. In the longterm with inflation that may make the most sense to the bottom line but that's how I want to do it personally.
rulesforrebels

Postby PennyPauper » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:32 pm

Here is my view.
If you sort $1000 a week for 4 weeks,with 25% copper you would have $1000 face in copper.
You could sell the copper and after expenses you could clear,give or take $50 per $100.Ryedale paid for.
Of course finding a $1000 to sort a week might at first be hard to find,assuming you have the funds as well.
So take half that amount each week,$500 it will take 2 months.
Or sorting $250 a week will take 4 months.Which should not be hard to do.
I think its hard to find a scenario in which the Ryedale would be a bad investment if you plan to sort cents.
Sure there are other factors involved,but if your already sorting you have accepted those costs.
And let's not forget since you can now sort more,you will be finding more wheats,indians,and other cents that have more value then a copper cent.
I want everyone to have fun sorting and see everyone involved succeed.But at the same time I also think the less people sorting and fewer machines running means more time for everyone already involved.The clock is ticking people.
It's like we are in extended time in a soccer game,we have a idea about how much time remains,but can't be sure when the ref is going to blow the whistle.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Hyperinflation (which is on the way) will cause the price of copper to rise, thereby increasing the virtual value of the penny, as noted on coinflation.com and other sites. However, I think it more likely that what will cause the eventual copper cent scarcity that some sorters are apprehensive about is the lifting of the melt ban. That won't occur until a few years after we abolish the cent as legal tender, though we are approaching that point. An ironic point to consider is that, if we do have hyperinflation... it will hasten the demise of the penny even as it's worth rises. It won't be worth anything in mercantile exchange (can you picture grabbing handfuls of pennies to pay for items that have doubled and tripled in price in short order) yet the metal value of the coin will be rising simultaneously as its utilitarian value decreasing. The first thing that will happen in hyperinflation is prices rounded to a nickel, then the nearest dime, then the nearest quarter, then half. This process will accelerate and at some point in time prices will not reflect "change" anymore... but change will reflect prices rounded to dollar amounts.
beauanderos

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:22 pm

I voted "Other, please explain"

I feel I am just not "with it" here at RealCent unless I own one! The peer pressure has gotten to me! :mrgreen:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:24 am

"Other"

Price. $500 with no cheaper models in the lineup? It's like going to a car dealership and only having to choose one model of a car when I want is a truck.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JTM3 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:31 am

I suppose to increase the size of my hoard. Regardless of the down-side of loosing out on the close inspection (wheaties, indians, etc.), I'm saving up my Zincolns for one. :D
+637 posts
JTM3
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:42 am

I didn't vote because you can only vote once...I bought mine because my hands were getting tire especially my left thumb from knocking the cents off of the mini scale, I bought one becasue I had $1500 worth of cent boxes in the dining room and I was behind in sorting, I bought one to hasten my hoard, I bought one to know what it is like to own, operate, and brag about a Ryedale.

EDIT: I VOTED OTHER....My Apprentice is out of commission...I miss it already trying to finish my last sort by hand and that really sucks however it's somewhat nice to pull out the wheats and the AU's...
Last edited by fasteddy on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:08 am

Sucker for cool gadgets.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing