Question about silver and gold Canadian Maple Leafs

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Question about silver and gold Canadian Maple Leafs

Postby silverflake » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:18 pm

So within the stack I have some silver Maples from late 80s early 90s and some 1/4 ounce gold Maples that are still in the little plastic pouch/wrapping from the RCM. I have always wanted to open them up to tube them for easier keeping. But is that original plastic something that gives them any kind of premium? In my brief ebay search, I haven't found much of anything. Owner of my LCS says to keep them in it, should make them worth more.

Now, I am not stacking for any kind of numismatic value nor am I seeking to buy bullion products for any more premium than I have to. But my curiosity has got the better of me. Any ideas? thoughts?

Keep Stacking, folks.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Question about silver and gold Canadian Maple Leafs

Postby InfleXion » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:22 pm

Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it right? I've never come across a concrete answer to this question before, but I have wondered.

I don't know that we could attribute a measurable decrease in resale value for non-sealed maples even if that were the case, but I personally have affinity for maples and I do not buy any gold that isn't in the plastic seal or a capsule because that's my preference. This preference stems from both wanting to keep the coin nice, and knowing that it is nice, and also having a better sense that it isn't counterfeit since the plastic is an added element to that.

I have a few sealed silver maples that I really like, but some in tubes as well. I'm not sure I'd pay more for a sealed silver coin, but I would be more likely to buy it than a non-sealed coin definitely.

So it's a factor, but so is who to buy from and how much to pay which I think are both more important.

Overall it probably doesn't matter, because I figure less people care about it than those who do. Although if your LCS owner says to keep them in the plastic, I'd heed his advice. Even if it doesn't get you more money, I think the benefit is there for a quicker sell.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Question about silver and gold Canadian Maple Leafs

Postby Shazbot57 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:54 pm

InfleXion wrote:Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it right? I've never come across a concrete answer to this question before, but I have wondered.

I don't know that we could attribute a measurable decrease in resale value for non-sealed maples even if that were the case, but I personally have affinity for maples and I do not buy any gold that isn't in the plastic seal or a capsule because that's my preference. This preference stems from both wanting to keep the coin nice, and knowing that it is nice, and also having a better sense that it isn't counterfeit since the plastic is an added element to that.

I have a few sealed silver maples that I really like, but some in tubes as well. I'm not sure I'd pay more for a sealed silver coin, but I would be more likely to buy it than a non-sealed coin definitely.

So it's a factor, but so is who to buy from and how much to pay which I think are both more important.

Overall it probably doesn't matter, because I figure less people care about it than those who do. Although if your LCS owner says to keep them in the plastic, I'd heed his advice. Even if it doesn't get you more money, I think the benefit is there for a quicker sell.

I concur with Inflexion. I have several older ones in the original RCM sealed plastic and like them that way, but I'm not sure it makes much difference. I don't think they seal them anymore at the RCM, but sell them in tubes like the SAE's (but I could be wrong). The new ones have more security measures incorporated into the rounds. Being in the Midwest of the USA, SAE's are more common than Maples generally speaking. I don't know that the packaging matters much one way or another unless the buyer cares. As for counterfeiting, our oriental friends are even counterfeiting packaging and slabs now so buy from trusted sources and know where they get their inventory...
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals