Why I'm calling $18 Silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Why I'm calling $18 Silver

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon May 20, 2013 10:22 pm

First off, Let us get the disclaimer out of the way. The following is an opinion. Do not interpret the following as investment advice. It is always wise to do your own research and act upon what you think is best to help meet your investing goals. Below is to be used purely for entertainment purposes only.

There are two Main points upon which I base my valuation and price target of $18; emotion and money. This is the Emotion of how folks are acting and what people are saying. We’re not talking about the people you and I. We’re talking about investors and investor media. The same goes for money. Our money amounts to squat. We need to look bigger; think QE and interest rates. Plot these two variables and add in main events on a convenient multiyear chart that tracks spot versus time and view the results. In short I believe that $18 was the new normal/sub-breakout point. Thats where silver went parabolic. Forget supply and demand. They mean nothing in a highly leveraged market whereas 98% of contracts do not get exercized.

Attachments
chart.jpg
chart.jpg (182.01 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: Why I'm calling $18 Silver

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Mon May 20, 2013 10:49 pm

If it's going to hit the teens, and I believe it will, it will go below $18.
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks for the info. I wonder if I should panic sell everything now? Nah, I still like my shiny.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Tue May 21, 2013 2:06 am

Thanx Doc, I appreciate your opinion. And it looks like the base of support on the chart.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:02 am

just a brief scan of that first chart...says everything....$18 then, with a 3to 7 dollar premium....what about 90's?......16-18 times cash?
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Tue May 21, 2013 3:24 am

neilgin1 wrote:just a brief scan of that first chart...says everything....$18 then, with a 3to 7 dollar premium....what about 90's?......16-18 times cash?

I've been watching the APMEX buy premiums/spreads on 90%, and they're currently $2.50 over spot with a 6.4% buy/sell spread. If we hypothesized that the buy premiums would go to $4 over spot at $18, that would be roughly 15.7x buy and 16.7x sell.

If the premium stayed constant, it would be approximately 14.6x buy and 15.6x sell.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue May 21, 2013 4:55 am

If we forget supply and demand then I'm not sure we're talking about a real price of a real commodity. If we're not talking about something that is real, then why is $18 the base? Why not $9? Or any other number. At some point I stop caring because paper and physical will have disconnected.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue May 21, 2013 6:46 am

My prediction is today, right about the 08:00 mark on the Kitco chart, something will happen. The sideways trend for the last 20 hours will end.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue May 21, 2013 7:55 am

So I'm not crazy.... :)
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Country » Tue May 21, 2013 10:15 am

Logical and well thought out. Since my major stacking is in the past, I have a bias to hope that you are wrong. The snapback at $20.23 will be tested, and $21 is the last line in the sand before the entire rise from $15-$18 is completely wiped out. My greatest fear is that PMs will go down and stay down for a long, long time; losing their appeal as a store of value as time marches on.

It's gut check time - and each of us will find out in the coming months whether we can take the heat...
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby SoFa » Tue May 21, 2013 10:36 am

It's refreshing to see analysis without any word of manipulation, banksters, and all that other mumbo jumbo that the bullion peddlers use.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue May 21, 2013 10:48 am

It will be interesting to revisit this in 1-3 years with then perfect hindsight.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue May 21, 2013 12:36 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:My prediction is today, right about the 08:00 mark on the Kitco chart, something will happen. The sideways trend for the last 20 hours will end.

So much for my ability to predict the PoS.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Tue May 21, 2013 2:28 pm

68Camaro wrote:If we forget supply and demand then I'm not sure we're talking about a real price of a real commodity. If we're not talking about something that is real, then why is $18 the base? Why not $9? Or any other number. At some point I stop caring because paper and physical will have disconnected.

This is where I am at too. I do believe that paper is eventually going to zero, and we have seen in times like these and in 2008 that the paper price doesn't matter so much to the physical market at least until somebody is willing to supply it at the new price and let it trickle down.

I also am on board with Rodebaugh's analysis that $18 seems like a plausible bottom point as there is more support there on the graph than my trend target of $21, but as we know the paper price can do anything. If we do see $18 I doubt the physical metal will get a whole lot cheaper than it is now. I have been a buyer at almost every price point over the last 5 years because I believe regardless of how low we go this round that the next round will be new highs, and even if that's not the case I'd rather secure my position in the present than put it out into the future with unknown circumstances, because my primary goal isn't profit as much as the protection that tangible assets provide.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue May 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Hear, hear. Of course there is always the possiblity that this forum has become the perfect little echo chamber for its membership, but using that thing that rhymes called history, I believe our motives and forecasts are right on target.

If everything I have been reading about demand for precious metals, particularly in Asia, is correct, I wonder what would happen if another 1% of all Americans suddenly decided to start protecting their wealth via PMs.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Tue May 21, 2013 2:53 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Hear, hear. Of course there is always the possiblity that this forum has become the perfect little echo chamber for its membership,

Why all views, opinions, and insights need to be respected, even if they do not echo the majority of our membership. You don't have to like them, or even agree with them. But, the day we all agree with each other, we are no longer aware.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Tue May 21, 2013 3:02 pm

This is how I determine where price is going to go... His name is Chris:

:D
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue May 21, 2013 3:28 pm

:lol:

Mike has a good method.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue May 21, 2013 3:39 pm

i'm not making any calls, making a call anchors you to a particular price mentally.

but i do think it is possible we will go lower. in the 70s, gold retraced about 50% and did so very swiftly.

if you look at this on a percentage basis, the retrace in silver has already been more extreme than gold, so i think gold is a bit more vulnerable.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Tue May 21, 2013 4:37 pm

I predict that in the near future we will see prices move up and down and sometimes sideways. Now here is where it gets interesting. The long term prices are predicted to do the same.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:38 pm

:wave:
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Jonflyfish » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:41 pm

:clap: Excellent!

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:27 am

Wowzeers
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:37 am

Figures. I just bought some yesterday. I like this new pricing even more. Get some before the Indians & Cowboys, I mean, Chinese buy it all.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:41 am

So is this the bottom? It sure seems like it can fall more. What do the tea stained teeth say?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals