The Red Flag

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

The Red Flag

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:23 am

In my business when an athlete has an injury (not having a $1,000,000 worth of medical diagnostic equipment at my disposal,) I have what I call Red Flag tests I do on a body part that point to the type and severity of the injury. I'm not Super Trainer. I don't have x-ray vision or MRI eyes so nothing is cast in stone. The most expensive diagnostic equipment I have is a neurological hammer. The least expensive is a 6 sided pencil. However, the accuracy of the Red Flags will almost always get me in the ball park if not the infield or right down the tube for a perfect called strike. Since I mostly deal with minors here, I err on the since of caution and the long term best interests of the child.

Folks, if the Red Flag disconnect between the melt value ($2.18) and the asking prices on 40% silver right now isn't getting your attention then well, . . . you need more awareness. I emphasize, who is going to pay a 100% (or more) premium on 40%? If you are wiling to do so then you missed the boat on buying silver or are seriously misguided in your thinking on what silver to buy at this time. And before any of you are thinking I'm dissing any of the sales of 40% here, I'm specifically using APMEX and Provident at $4.39 and $4.80 per coin as my examples. If they are not sold out by the time I am finished writing here.

Sincerely, I expect to see the premiums climb on all silver in the not so distant future and hope you are not on the back side of this learning curve. See the Red Flags as they fly in your face and act appropriately. Do not let fear guide you to accepting the greed being offered you. And on that last sentence I'm talking a whole lot bigger picture than the Red Flag I mention above. Err on the side of caution and your own long term best interests.

For those of you who are opportunistic, you might want to take advantage of the price Spread Trade here to make some money and come out of it looking like the "Good Guy". DYODD though.

Edit: Ray was kind enough to point out to me an error of my ways, that being a lack of attention to the details. APMEX and Provident prices are not per coin but per $1.00 face. Kindly disregard. Whew, I thought the world had gotten much crazier than I thought it was already. And Thank You Ray! :oops:
Last edited by johnbrickner on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Re: The Red Flag

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:34 am

Whoa, premiums are that crazy on 40%?!?!

Wonder how long before 35% nicks start getting out of control.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:05 am

Well I guess there's always the option of silver eagles at APMEX for just a LOW 46% premium--if one is so inclined :o
Last edited by pennypicker on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tdtwedt » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:27 am

There may be a shortage or lack of willing sellers of 90% and SAE.

Is there really a shortage of silver when you can get 1000 oz bars at APMEX for 49 cents over spot with free shipping?

http://www.apmex.com/category/25680/1-0 ... -bars?vt=l
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.
tdtwedt
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:33 am

Doctor Steuss wrote:Whoa, premiums are that crazy on 40%?!?!

Wonder how long before 35% nicks start getting out of control.

The premium on 40% on APMEX ask is 10.3%
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby justoneguy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:42 am

johnbrickner wrote:
Folks, if the Red Flag disconnect between the melt value ($2.18) I'm specifically using APMEX and Provident at $4.39 and $4.80 per coin as my examples..
I think your looking at$1 Ikes for that $4+ price and using Half dollars for your melt value.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:15 am

justoneguy wrote:
johnbrickner wrote:
Folks, if the Red Flag disconnect between the melt value ($2.18) I'm specifically using APMEX and Provident at $4.39 and $4.80 per coin as my examples..
I think your looking at$1 Ikes for that $4+ price and using Half dollars for your melt value.

See my edit on initial post. :oops:
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby silverstacker » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:57 pm

tdtwedt wrote:There may be a shortage or lack of willing sellers of 90% and SAE.

Is there really a shortage of silver when you can get 1000 oz bars at APMEX for 49 cents over spot with free shipping?

http://www.apmex.com/category/25680/1-0 ... -bars?vt=l

I made a mistake when posting some 40% for sale a few days ago as my math was wrong and I was tied. mistakes that should've been avoided :oops:

Anyways, junk silver is skyrocketing all over the U.S? and so is ASE rounds. Your comment regarding 100% bars is valid but the market clearly sees smaller 1 oz and junk as an easier way to move. Why that it I can't answer but you have to take advantage at what the market is doing. Therefore, the 100 oz bars stay tucked away in Lake Michigan for now.

Will the 2016 ASE government production go lower and lower as predicted? Who knows. I've recently taken down 6 tubes of ASE rounds due to this question. Until I find a good answer that I can sink my teeth into I won't take the gamble. iMO
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals