Scored lots of silver road tripping today

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Scored lots of silver road tripping today

Postby CardsNCoins » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:16 pm

I headed out early this morning with a list of about 25 banks to hit. Almost halfway through I hadn't even gotten a clad half, let alone any silver. On route to my next stop I saw a Pathmark supermarket that had a bank branch inside of it, so I decided to give it a look. The male teller only had one half (clad), but the female teller overheard me and said she had 2 rolls that she forgot to include in yesterday's coin pick up (lucky me). She also mentioned they had been in her drawer a while. I bought them from her, and when I got in the car I found both rolls had 16 silvers and 4 clads each. ;D It broke down to two Franklins (1952 and 1954), four 1964s, and 26 40%ers.

But there's more.

At my second to last stop I was second on line waiting for a teller, and I noticed that the older gentleman in line in front of me had a heart box of candy in his hands. I thought "oh great he's gonna give them chocolate and ask for halves." When he got to the teller he did give her the heart, but just did a deposit. When I got to the teller I asked for halves and she had $98 worth so I took them all. As I stepped aside to count my change the woman in line behind me stepped up and I overheard her ask for halves and the teller told her "I just gave them all to him" (meaning me). It turns out I thought the hunter was in line in front of me (the older man), but the hunter was actually behind me (thank goodness). Inside that $98 worth of halves were 35 40%ers. ;D

So in total today I recovered:

2 - Franklins
4 - 1964
1 - 1965
32 - 1967
21 - 1968
7 - 1969

Nick
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Scored lots of silver road tripping today

Postby dakota1955 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:26 pm

timing is everything
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:47 pm

Very nice score. Not too many jobs where you can earn $600 in a day... which is the "pre-taxed" earning power you'd have to have to make the equivalent in free silver for one day's searching you just accomplished. Way to go Nick! :mrgreen:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:23 pm

Nice job. Had a similiar experience last weekend on a smaller scale, the teller had exactly one roll in her drawer, scored 2 90% and 6 40%. Nothing beats that feeling of opening up a roll and seeing all those white edges. :D
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BamaJoe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:06 pm

At my second to last stop I was second on line waiting for a teller, and I noticed that the older gentleman in line in front of me had a heart box of candy in his hands. I thought "oh great he's gonna give them chocolate and ask for halves." When he got to the teller he did give her the heart, but just did a deposit. When I got to the teller I asked for halves and she had $98 worth so I took them all. As I stepped aside to count my change the woman in line behind me stepped up and I overheard her ask for halves and the teller told her "I just gave them all to him" (meaning me). AT THAT POINT CARDNCOINS HAD TO MAKE A RUN FOR IT AS THE WOMAN CHASED HIM OUT OF THE BANK. It turns out I thought the hunter was in line in front of me (the older man), but the hunter was actually behind me (thank goodness). Inside that $98 worth of halves were 35 40%ers. ;D

I'm sorry, just couldn't help it. The mental picture just popped up in my mind. :)
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:22 pm

BamaJoe wrote:......AT THAT POINT CARDNCOINS HAD TO MAKE A RUN FOR IT AS THE WOMAN CHASED HIM OUT OF THE BANK...........

We did walk out of the bank together, but nary a word was spoken. :lol:
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby appjoe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:21 pm

Nice score.
Most of the time when I would ask for halves they would pull out either Brinks or String rolls that were opened on 1 end and folded back over showing that they are someones dumps.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby twentybux » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Absolutely nice score Nick!!!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Snake42 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:14 pm

That is a fantastic score dude. I have never had a lucky day like that.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:32 am

Wait, I thought by now all the real halves would be gone. I'm going to start asking for them tomorrow.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:43 am

The halves thing is mostly a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I took a stab at it at Christmas time. Most banks around here don't even carry them. I went to dozens of banks without finding any (and I mean any halves period). I finally found a BofA that had hundreds that had been special ordered and had just been turned back in. Turned out they were from another silver hunter; already culled through. Your best luck is luck, if you can find a bank that just had someone dump some old halves. Doesn't happen that often though.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals