How do you store your collection?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: How do you store your collection?

Postby Cent1225 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:46 pm

Use the Brinks or Loomis box as the base. Insert a one gallon plastic storage bag inside. Put the pennies into the storage bag. Shake the box up/down and side to side to get the pennies to settle in. Insert two small dessicant bags for moisture removal. Close the bag 98% of the way then suck out the air in the bag, close it tight. Close the box and tape the ends and sides shut. Makes a 17.25 lb brick. Great for stacking. Pennies inside are in a waterproof container and protected from moisture by the dessicant.
That is my method.
Cent1225
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:14 am

I don't like dealing with all that cardboard, although they are into a nice salable unit. Does anyone break up their collection and store it in different spots in case of theft?
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:24 pm

I store my coppers in a nice 55 gallon plastic drum. All nice and safe together.:)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Used to get .30cal cans to store them, now I have a supply of $50 cent bags and a used heavy duty sewing machine.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:15 am

At the Portlandmint
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby willy13 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:11 pm

how many cents fit in a 5 gallon bucket?
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ScottyTX » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:05 pm

I store mine in used toilets in my back yard. Just silicon the lid to the tank up when full and there you go. Who's gonna steal used toilets is what I figure........My wife thinks I'm crazy but last time I checked they're all still there :).........
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:07 pm

ScottyTX wrote:I store mine in used toilets in my back yard. Just silicon the lid to the tank up when full and there you go. Who's gonna steal used toilets is what I figure........My wife thinks I'm crazy but last time I checked they're all still there :).........

Your wife's not the only one.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:31 pm

John_doe wrote:And the award for most organized hoard goes to............ :D

I had to grin at that poor, wooden leg there, right where it could catch a foot.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby adagirl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:47 pm

henrysmedford wrote:Image

awesome! :D
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:14 pm

Cent1225 wrote:Use the Brinks or Loomis box as the base. Insert a one gallon plastic storage bag inside. Put the pennies into the storage bag. Shake the box up/down and side to side to get the pennies to settle in. Insert two small dessicant bags for moisture removal. Close the bag 98% of the way then suck out the air in the bag, close it tight. Close the box and tape the ends and sides shut. Makes a 17.25 lb brick. Great for stacking. Pennies inside are in a waterproof container and protected from moisture by the dessicant.
That is my method.

Every time I read the things that people have to do to protect their (corrodible) metals from moisture, I am grateful I live in the desert.

That is, until summer comes around, then my gratitude fades...

I use the empty tubs from protein powder, cottage cheese, amino acid powders, etc. It can be complicated stacking them (since they are different sizes), but they tend to end up as manageable weights, and they’re fairly inconspicuous.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:44 pm

In orange 5 gal buckets in the shed in my backyard :lol: ;) ;) ;)
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Silver_Stampede » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:13 pm

@henrymedsford, when I saw that picture of how organized your collection was you inspired me to do great things. Hahaha after I saw it I went back through my entire stash of copper pennies (~$400) and organized it just like you... took me about 5 days but i had so much fun! : )
"There comes a time in every man's life when he must hoard precious metals..."
Silver_Stampede

Postby cupronickel » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:59 pm

5 gallon bucket holds about $250 face value or 170 pounds
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby morris14ccm » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Locking .50 cal ammo cans and the better ones I keep in an old humidor on my desk. (No water or solution of course)
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby jldco » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:37 pm

I put them in a coin lok bag, then in a MFRB and then send them out the door with the postman just as fast as I can! No fuss no muss now someone else can worry about them puppies!
jldco
Penny Pincher Member

Postby everything » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 am

Changed the way I was storing, figured I can fit more into boxes after participating in this thread bucket. Still, I guess a 5 gallon bucket is the best space saver.
Attachments
Picture1461.jpg
Picture1461.jpg (105.42 KiB) Viewed 476 times
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jacer333 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:57 am

I bought some heavy duty fort knox deposit bags and am moving my collection over into those now. These seem like the best way to go-seal the coins in, allow you to keep an exact count of how much you have, and liquidate them quickly if need be.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby getdong » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:18 pm

I've been wrestling with this for a while. I'd love to roll my coins back up and store in brinks boxes but I'm lazy and have fat fingers and am terrible at rerolling coins for some reason.

For a while I did milk jugs, paint cans, 5 gallon orange buckets from home depot, culligan water bottles, loosely in brinks boxes, I've done it all lol. I'd love to get some big drums but how will I ever move them if I move? I don't plan on being in my current home for all that long. For that reason I'm going to have to stick to the smaller containers which isn't as efficient space wise, however when it comes to moving them its more practical.
getdong
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Coinage » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:57 am

I'm a relatively low volume hand sorter.. (1-2 boxes a week) with that being said, I have been thinking about how to store my stash. I'd really like to store them re-wrapped in the penny boxes since its such a nice face value of ($25) and the boxes can stack rather neatly. But I just don't see myself spending the money and time re-wrapping all the coppers. I suppose I could try counting out $25 face value and store them unwrapped in the box. But a bigger problem I can see arising is where to store everything once I have a sizable amount of copper. The garage is out of the question, my bedroom can only hold so much, (physically and weight wise) so that leaves my basement. But even that is less than ideal because of the dampness and humidity especially over the spring // summer time. Are those bank deposit bags, or coin lok bags air tight? I suppose that's something to look into.
Coinage

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:29 am

Coinage wrote:I'm a relatively low volume hand sorter.. (1-2 boxes a week) with that being said, I have been thinking about how to store my stash. I'd really like to store them re-wrapped in the penny boxes since its such a nice face value of ($25) and the boxes can stack rather neatly. But I just don't see myself spending the money and time re-wrapping all the coppers. I suppose I could try counting out $25 face value and store them unwrapped in the box. But a bigger problem I can see arising is where to store everything once I have a sizable amount of copper. The garage is out of the question, my bedroom can only hold so much, (physically and weight wise) so that leaves my basement. But even that is less than ideal because of the dampness and humidity especially over the spring // summer time. Are those bank deposit bags, or coin lok bags air tight? I suppose that's something to look into.

I get my pennies in boxes and in CWRs. I reuse the wrappers from the CWRs to roll the copper pennies and fill up the empty boxes. I count and roll them as I sort them out. It doesn't really add much effort to the sorting process.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DebtFreeMe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi all, my first post here but:

I store mine as $25 FV vacuum sealed square blocks. Coincidentally they fit very well into the $5.25 flat rate post office boxes.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby newton7 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:10 pm

DebtFreeMe wrote:Hi all, my first post here but:

I store mine as $25 FV vacuum sealed square blocks. Coincidentally they fit very well into the $5.25 flat rate post office boxes.

I would like to see the finished product on the vac seal bags/box thing.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby galenrog » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:01 pm

I do not vacuum seal bags, but I do put them in 1 gallon ziplocks and put them in small flat rates. Makes it very easy to ship. Six small flat rates fit snugly into one medium flat rate.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Coinage » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:05 pm

newton7 wrote:
DebtFreeMe wrote:Hi all, my first post here but:

I would like to see the finished product on the vac seal bags/box thing.

I too would like to see the finished product. DebtFreeMe if you could post some pics that would be greatly appreciated!
Coinage

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing