Sterling silver rings.. sell em or scrap em?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sterling silver rings.. sell em or scrap em?

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:27 pm

Im wondering if anyone has any luck selling .925 rings and necklaces for much more than spot..or is it easier to just scrap them? Ebay fees seem to take a good percentage of anything over the price available if I scrap them.. Just looking for ideas/advice.. I have probably 3 or 4 lbs of .925 jewelry..thanks
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Sterling silver rings.. sell em or scrap em?

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:44 pm

I'd happily give you say.... $30/lb for that scrap.... :P

Short of putting it in a consignment shop or something, it seems pretty difficult to get much more than scrap prices..... Maybe throw em out of ebay with a buy it now price.

Maybe sort through them and put some of it up here at melt - better than scrap, no fees etc. I'd love a simple silver ring for my right hand. I'd gladly give spot+shipping for something I liked.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:34 pm

check at your local antique & flea market type shops, see if there are any jewelry dealers that might want them. They may even take them on consignment but jewelry prices will be much better than scrap prices.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Because silver scrap value is so high right now, unless it's a quality piece of sterling jewelry it's going to be difficult to sell for a premium over melt. By quality, I mean the piece exhibits great craftsmanship or is by a desirable or collectible maker.

Some lightweight rings might still do OK in a flea-market type setting. One of the antique/craft shops near me rents spaces and one of the renters does well with a small display case full of fine and vintage jewelry priced at around 15% over spot on average.

But honestly, unless you have a strong and steady supply of choice pieces of jewerly, it's not worth letting it sit in rented space for months.

I've scrapped every piece of sterling jewelry I bought or found so far this year. Then again, none of it was what I would call quality or desirable.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:29 pm

There are some outfits that will give you a quote based on either melt a/or artistic value.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby njoElec » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:36 pm

I sold a few sterling bracelets last week and converted the proceeds into 90% and also got a 1oz. silvertowne bar :D

I would rather have silver in a more familiar form than having bracelets and silverware.
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:33 pm

njoElec wrote:I sold a few sterling bracelets last week and converted the proceeds into 90% and also got a 1oz. silvertowne bar :D

I would rather have silver in a more familiar form than having bracelets and silverware.

But...but...you can melt them and make your own unverified silver bars!! (18 minutes in.) :D
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby njoElec » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:03 pm

[quote="cesariojpn

But...but...you can melt them and make your own unverified silver bars!! (18 minutes in.) :D[/quote]

hahahahahaha!!!! :D I should do that from now on!!!!
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:23 am

if its hallmarked do your research. for example:familiarize yourself with the marks of william spratling. extremely collectable taxco mexican silver maker.( i got 400 for one bracelet) I know more than one antique dealer who will pay full spot for even regular stuff like italian chains and not fancy rings because theres still a good markup on jewelry.i would never sell any non broken jewelry for under spot,which you would expect from a refiner...
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals