Questions regarding 2 Canadian Coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Questions regarding 2 Canadian Coins

Postby robroy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:26 pm

I have a 1972 voyager Canadian dollar coin. I was told that it was silver, but from all the canadian coin calculator information that I can find no 1972 Voyager Canadian dollar coin was minted with silver and the last time that the $1cad coin had silver in it was ~ 1968. However one source that I saw on Ebay said that the coin is 50% silver. I would like to know because I purchased the coin for its silver content and I am confused. Could this coin be a Canadian commerative?

The other coin that I am looking for information on is also a $1cad coin that has steam locomotive on the reverse and was coined in 1986, and bears the legend of Vancouver. I think that the coin is a Canadian Commerative. Looking for whatever information I can get plus what the silver content is of this coin.

All help is appreciated. I purchased these two coins because I liked the looks of them and I like canoeing and railroading. I realize that purchasing these coins like I did may not have been my smartest move.
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Questions regarding 2 Canadian Coins

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:35 pm

http://en.numista.com/catalogue/canada-2.html

There appear to be both nickel and 50% silver 1972 coins. Distinctly different look, feel, weight.

Don't see the railroad coin, but maybe you can find it somewhere in that link.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby robroy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:12 pm

I think that it is time for me to purchase a scale in order to determine if the voyager coin is either nickel or silver. I don't think that the person I purchased both of those coins from last year would have steered me wrong.

The 1986 coin appears to be CANADA 1986 SILVER PROOF DOLLAR - VANCOUVER - CANADIAN PACIFIC ENGINE #371 I found a picture of it on ebay. According to coinpeople the mintage 496,418 its .925 Silver and weighs 25.17g. When I purchased the coin last year my friend did say it was a commerative but didn't know a lot about the coin. So together we have found out a lot about this coin. I'm glad. It only took me a year or so to get this information. What held me up was that I didn't think that ebay listed canadian coins of any class.

I can't figure out how to upload a picture of this coin. But I can reference the page that I found the coin on.

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?/to ... entennial/
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Robarons » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Surprised no one chimed in on this topic! There is an extremely easy way to figure out if their silver.

Pass a magnet over it- if it sticks its .999 Nickel normal coinage, if it does not its silver and is from the mint.

They indeed made silver 1972 Canadian Dollars, but they will not stick, are tarnished in most cases, and have a silver look to them. Believe they have .375 ASW or something like that.

Check out Currency debasement .com and they list every single coin canada has made and their silver content.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:18 pm

Has anyone ever tried the tissue test? Sometimes, I pass the coin under some toilet paper - if it shines through that its silver, if it's dull, its not. Helps to use something you know is silver and know is not as a reference....
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:24 am

Magnet - sticks and its 100% Ni, otherwise you have silver. The normal voyager dollar should be Ni.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals