Not metal but scraping Xmas trees could be profitable

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Not metal but scraping Xmas trees could be profitable

Postby merchoarder » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:37 am

My mom has been doing this for years and i'll find more the next time I talk to her. Shredded balsam is worth good money. I'll ask her what she gets for it but I think it's well over $6 a pound. In the northeast a lot of people use balsam for Christmas trees and then just put them on the curb after. You need to be able to tell the difference between balsam and other conifers and a way to shred it but there is definately opportunity there. Just a thought to make a few extra bucks after the holidays. I'll get more info from my mom and post it here. Anyone have any experience with this? I apologize that this might not belong here as it is not at all metal related but you could scrap the wire lights if they are still on it :P
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Not metal but scraping Xmas trees could be profitable

Postby Robarons » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Something that gets $6 a pound shouldnt be sold for Christmas trees, if I owned I would be growing them suckers and just selling them for the wood.

But I guess you could get $20-100 or whatever real trees cost per a pop.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage