Observations from the local coin shop.....

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Observations from the local coin shop.....

Postby pennypicker » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:18 pm

For the last three months I have been visiting my local Medford, Oregon coin shop at least three times a week. I've been going to coin shops for 18 years now and I have never seen one as busy as this one. It has been family owned since the '60s and they regularly have a minimum of four family members working the counter. On some days, especially saturday, they will have five to six family members working the counters and many times even with six people being waited on there will still be a line of 10 or more people waiting to reach the glass display counters.

Because of the long wait in line I always make it a habit to listen to all the transactions going on and I see the same types of transactions being repeated over and over. By far the the most common are people either being or selling 1 oz generic silver rounds. Second most common is people scrapping gold jewelry. From what I've seen roughly 90 to 95% of all the transactions are stricly bullion related with a very small percentage being people buying non bullion items. In fact during all my visits and all the transactions witnessed I have yet to see one person ask to see a numismatic coin. They have "numis" in their display cases but no one ever asks to see any.

I've been buying average circulated Peace dollars and the owner told me for every 1 Peace dollar they sell they will buy 200 from the public. He said there is virtually no interest for average circulated, common date Peace or Morgan dollars and they will just accumulate them until they obtain 500 and wholesale them out to other dealers.

So at least from this part of the country all the public interest is centered on the buying & selling of bullion silver & gold in all forms; and public interest in "numi's" (raw or slabbed) is almost nill. ;)
Last edited by pennypicker on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Observations from the local coin shop.....

Postby Thogey » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:28 pm

I sold a couple hundred dollars during the last spike and got between 32 and 35 each. The premimums seemed awsome from the sell side. Looks like a good move at this point.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:38 pm

The are the greatest people. We got all of this for $20 from Mike. I have been told in Canada it would cost $60. :mrgreen: BTW there website is http://www.rvcoinandjewelryexchange.com/ and will ship anywhere after the check clears.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:04 pm

Thogey wrote:I sold a couple hundred dollars during the last spike and got between 32 and 35 each. The premimums seemed awsome from the sell side. Looks like a good move at this point.

You're timing was better than mine. I just sold several hundred Peace and Morgan's, some at $24, some at $25.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Thogey » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:11 pm

henrysmedford wrote:The are the greatest people. We got all of this for $20 from Mike. I have been told in Canada it would cost $60. :mrgreen: BTW there website is http://www.rvcoinandjewelryexchange.com/ and will ship anywhere after the check clears.

That was a great buy!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:50 pm

He said there is virtually no interest for average circulated, common date Peace or Morgan dollars and they will just accumulate them until they obtain 500 and wholesale them out to other dealers.

Realcent would be a good place to go with a wholesale lot..... :mrgreen: .
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Course it helps when we have some FRN.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:14 pm

PS-- Also the owner of the shop had been shot year ago when he had a coin shop in So. Cal. But he is the most laid back coin shop owner in the world. :mrgreen:
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:58 pm

:o The boys from Beaumont Texas will be hurt if anyone doubts their word that Numi AU is the only way to go :mrgreen:
local shop only 2 Quarters an 2 dimes available under Spot they have lots of 40% also Scrap gold but i keep checkin 8-) for the 90%
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:15 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:
He said there is virtually no interest for average circulated, common date Peace or Morgan dollars and they will just accumulate them until they obtain 500 and wholesale them out to other dealers.

Realcent would be a good place to go with a wholesale lot..... :mrgreen: .

Hmmmm, I'd have to think about that...

For about 1 nano-second.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals