Save non- silver Eisenhower dollars?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Save non- silver Eisenhower dollars?

Postby 50centsaver » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Is there any logic to saving "regular" non silver Eisenhowers? It's obviously a large coin/chunk of metal. I've read some people on this forum say "save ALL coins". I don't quite see the logic of that. ? Is it because if paper becomes worthless all coins will have value, even if it's zinc, nickel, or copper? I know there's proof coins, uncirculated, special dates, etc. and don't care to check for those other than the 40% silver ones, but just wondering if it's a good idea to save the non 40% silver ones for their metal value alone.

Thanks ahead of time for any answers.
50centsaver
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Save non- silver Eisenhower dollars?

Postby slickeast » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Metal content....no

Some people will pay $1.15 to $1.50 for them. If you have 100 you might make a few bucks selling them on here or e-bay
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PolishPunisher » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:38 pm

If you want to do the hold all coins thing, get nickels. They have the most metal value per dollar.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 50centsaver » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:47 pm

Slickeast, if they're worth $1.15-1.50 each now, may they be worth more in the future?
50centsaver
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 50centsaver » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:11 pm

-also, if people want to pay $1.50 each for them- why would they? Just to have? Just to collect for the fun of it? Or are they hoping they'll go up in value in the future, as an investment?
50centsaver
Penny Sorter Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:11 pm

I have $8000 available if anyone is interested in them :)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:16 pm

highroller4321 wrote:I have $8000 available if anyone is interested in them :)

any of them 40%ers :lol:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby NotABigDeal » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:26 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:

any of them 40%ers :lol:

Buy them and find out, hehe....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby tractorman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:58 pm

I have given them away to trick-or-treaters for several years. They're just kinda cool and you don't normally see them anymore. I say keep what you like, its a hobby after all and supposed to be fun.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby MUTiger » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:13 pm

I was at an auction about three months ago buying junk silver and they had a coin lock bag of $500 Ikes that they tried to sell at the very end. I know there were at least 5-6 40% in the bag. They could not get a bid of $500 on the bag. I had already spent too much on Au and Ag so I did not bid. I should of because about a month later I was at the state unclaimed property auction and a lot of 10-15 Ikes went for 2X. Me and another guy just looked at each other like "are these people crazy?"

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:42 am

In Jan. 2010, someone sold had stashed away different years apparently, and 220,000 or 5 tons of these in a bank vault in Montana. Littleton coin bought or cosigned them, saying they worth a million.
Apparently, um, er, it was on TV, they are starting to sell them next year. Should be interesting. I'm not surprised in the least, someone on this thread is collecting them. I would sell some now before all these hit the market, still I could be wrong, maybe the market needs to get a bit more developed, and this might do it..
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/coin ... s-15090697

Here is the latest on it. http://www.numismaticnews.net/buzz/ike- ... gets-boost
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverflake » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:54 am

After giving a couple to my boys, I finally turned the rest of mine (along with some SBAs) in to the bank for some FRNs. After some 'Oohs' and "Wows' from the teller, I promptly went to my LCS and bought some silver.
While they are a large slab of metal, the value of the metal doesn't come close to the face value. I don't see the potential here.
Good luck to those collectiing non-silver Ikes. I think they are stinkin' ugly coins (opinion of course).
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:27 am

tractorman wrote:[...] I say keep what you like, its a hobby after all and supposed to be fun.

I couldn't agree more.

Inconsequential Verbose Anecdote: A while back, I was at my mentor/favorite coin dealer, and I was buying a small bag of common date circulated buffalo nickels. A gentleman next to me (who had seen me there and talked to me the week before while I was buying a beautiful Standing Liberty Quarter) asked me why I was buying that “junk.” My mentor/dealer quickly interjected, and said “Coins are never ‘junk’ if they are something you personally like.”

Some of my favorite coins aren’t the prettiest, or most valuable, but I love the history and experience behind obtaining them (I still have a terrible looking half-cent that I’ll never be able to sell because it was the first half-cent I ever bought).
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:46 am

Back last February my bank tried to get me interested in some AU-BU Ikes that someone had
cashed in earlier that day. Total of 125. No 40% in them so I passed. I couldn't see myself going through the
hassle of putting them up on feebay either as a grouping or individually. Heck, the banks don't
want them either.
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby marine70 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:05 am

I use them as tips when I go to restaurants etc. I always ask the waitress if she has any young children, I figure it might get the children interested in coin collecting.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:13 am

If I had 8 grand just laying around..... I would still buy Au & Ag!

Every time I come across one in the wild I save it for the grand-kids.

20 - 40 yrs. from now, coin collectors will pay a premium for them. They will never be as popular as 90% of course.

On a side note, any BU/AU Bi-centennial coin will be worth a lot of money come the Tri-centennial. Save all you can! :P
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby doug » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:28 am

I pick them up and give them out as change at the farmers market I sell at. I do the same with halves and two dollar bills also. Most people love to get them.

Doug
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:42 pm

i got abunch one day at the bank.. tried selling some, but no one seems too interested.. use them for poker night.. everyone hates them at the poker table..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:35 am

Doctor Steuss wrote:
tractorman wrote:[...] I say keep what you like, its a hobby after all and supposed to be fun.

I couldn't agree more.

Inconsequential Verbose Anecdote: A while back, I was at my mentor/favorite coin dealer, and I was buying a small bag of common date circulated buffalo nickels. A gentleman next to me (who had seen me there and talked to me the week before while I was buying a beautiful Standing Liberty Quarter) asked me why I was buying that “junk.” My mentor/dealer quickly interjected, and said “Coins are never ‘junk’ if they are something you personally like.”

Some of my favorite coins aren’t the prettiest, or most valuable, but I love the history and experience behind obtaining them (I still have a terrible looking half-cent that I’ll never be able to sell because it was the first half-cent I ever bought).

And I couldn't agree with either tractor dude or the good Doctor more. :D After all, aren't we supposed to be having fun??? :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AuStruck » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:25 am

I would like a few non-silver Ikes. Hi quality prefered - XF to BU. If the price is right.
AuStruck
Penny Pincher Member

Postby galenrog » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:59 am

I've got 10 rolls, just harvested from the wild today. Have not looked at them except to verify that none were 40%. Did find a '72D that has been plated (possibly silver plated?). Make me an offer, or off to craigslist they go.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:48 am

i stepped into the 40% Ikes, becoz they were an undervalued, neglected segment of the American silver coin market, but you have to be right on TOP of that digital weight scale...40's weigh in at 24.6 gms mean, (with a range between 23.9 to 25.0 gms) while the clads come in at 22.5-6 gms. one scary thing to collecting 'brown' Ikes, those are the silver proofs, is that in 73 and 74...this is SanFrancisco mint, they stamped both 40's AND clads IN PROOFS.....have no idea why....but they did, so if you get rolls, weigh everything.... i LOVE silver Ikes, coz i loved the President and the General. Dwight D. Eisenhower was one of the last good guys in American history.

neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby purple and gold » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:25 am

i like to give out the Ikes as tips and use them at Mickey Dees,,i get a kick out of seeing the reaction of the kids when i give them one for payment,,i had one yoiung girl ask me if the Ike was a quarter..lol
purple and gold

Postby Z00 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:04 pm

I cannot get them locally none of the 3 banks in my small town have them
How much wold someone want to ship plain circulated rolls to me?
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby agmoose » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:12 pm

I almost never get them at any of my banks here, its probably been a few months now. But, last year I got 14 in one stop, put them up on Ebay (no silver) and the lot sold for $39 and change. I was shocked. It looked like two people got into a bidding war at the end, lol, over simple $1 coins.

Twice since then I've done auctions with $10 face and both sold for over $15 plus shipping.........

So - there are people who want them.............
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals