Just a few dollars lower and then pulling the trigger

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Just a few dollars lower and then pulling the trigger

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:21 pm

Looking to order from one of the online dealers. Westminster has low premiums on their generic bars and rounds. I am dismayed that Ebay still draws in high, high premiums. Silver going a few dollars lower, and then it would be worth it to lock in a price from Westminster. Even ordering one coin or round from them would be cheaper with shipping and credit card charge than Ebay's stuff. Maybe there will be motivated sellers on Ebay that think we will hit the low 20's and want out now?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Just a few dollars lower and then pulling the trigger

Postby newton7 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:33 pm

Jumped on some today but not the entire budgets worth. I think the price was really good when I was in the store but I like to DCA so I don't kick myself for spending all in one chunk and the price dropping again tomorrow. Silver is drying up at my local store and all the Gold that was there last week is gone to. I fear that when it reaches the bottom there will be no silver to buy as no one will sell it at that low a price.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mtldealer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:34 pm

What do you think of Apmex? I also amlooking to buy a couple at a time... Where is the best place to spend money?
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:09 pm

APMEX has an "industrial silver" listing for (what I understand to be) silver they bought that was not pretty enough for the usual customer. Excellent price, usually. I check mid morning and they were already out.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hejira11 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:24 pm

I got two older Kooks I was waiting on from APMEX. If Silver goes lower I may start on the 10 ouncers.
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:49 pm

hehehe... I saw the price and a little smirk on my face arose
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JJM » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:11 pm

There was a time when the sentiment on this board was quite bullish about PM's, you can witness this by looking at the total # of posts in the Silver/Gold section vs. the Cent section. Some days - this site could have been called realdime, haha. It would seem many of the folks on here have become more bearish since there, with good reason.

I believe the actions of a lot of hedge funds and European banks in the coming days will drive the prices even lower this season, if you're willing to wait. I have money on the sidelines, haven't bought in on the dip yet, I think we could see $22 in the near future. Sub-$25 seems like a given to me. I'll order from the Golden State Mint when the time is right.

Good luck to everyone as the year winds down! (Which reminds me, they like to close the year down, makes the YOY comparisons with the various equities look a little better for the paper class of investments.)
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:01 pm

If all you want is generic rounds/bars, you may find some at near spot. If you want mint coins, if you read/believe the other threads, those are dried up; few to none to be had, what is there will still cost low to mid 30s, no matter what spot says. With spot at 29, ASEs are 33 at Gainesville. Unless you're buying a monster box by wire, in which case they are 32. If we get more of a drop I'll be putting a few more rolls on my credit card, even with the card surcharge.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby justj2k78 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:51 pm

I bought today!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:26 pm

At some point, it will be too enticing to buy a few paychecks' worth of silver if prices get low,low,low. I think back to vacations and other things I spent $$ on. No, I couldn't just buy a few SAEs back when they were about $17 a few years ago. That price seemed too high, lol. It is a nice problem for some of us to have though. Waffling over pulling the trigger for buying versus having to sell, that is. Tomorrow, let's see how silver does.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Later » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:26 am

i stopped at 21$ on the way up to 50$ now i will buy as long as it stays under 30$
Cu Later
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:26 pm

Pretty soon we will be back to the point of only the delayed delivery merchants are selling. "Pretty soon" as in today or tomorrow.

Sheesh. "$28"?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby penny pretty » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:40 pm

what STATE do you live in? NY here and apnex charges tax. I know at lcd in NY anything under 1K is 8 percent sales tax. cheaper for me on ebay.
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals