Why did this auction get so high in price?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Why did this auction get so high in price?

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:06 pm

Can you see anything that makes this SAE more valuable than any other 2011 SAE out there?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110796028467?ss ... 1423.l2649
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Why did this auction get so high in price?

Postby mr18 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:08 pm

Nope, but whether you're bidding online or in person, your emotions will get the best of you.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby aloneibreak » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:15 pm

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:16 pm

mr18 wrote:Nope, but whether you're bidding online or in person, your emotions will get the best of you.

It came down to two bidders taking the price up past the fair value range of $33. Once again, I can log into Westminster's site and pay $33.02 plus 3% credit card surcharge plus $5.75 for a total of $39.76 for a 2011 SAE. Bidding fever for easily available SAEs like these is bizzaro.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:24 pm

aloneibreak wrote:how bout this 2001...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Silver-Ame ... 45ff6fde1c

Not the best way to stack. Generic stuff goes for ~$31 / oz right now. Who is going nearly all in if we hit the low 20's ?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mr18 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:31 pm

man, i bought one exactly like that off of CL about 2 weeks ago for $32, after a gallon and a half in gas and my time, it was well worth it. BTW, low $20's sure, but not all in, I'm always buying but I have a little self control to walk away when I need FRN to pay my monthly bills and have a little extra for savings.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:46 pm

I've seen this on a certain coin i'm stacking. Usually, I try to keep my bids in a formula: Bid+S&H=/~Spot. Yet unless i'm particularly lucky a/or smart, bids go full retard. Most of the time, people bid above spot, and figuring in the S&H, they're loosing money.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:53 pm

cesariojpn wrote:I've seen this on a certain coin i'm stacking. Usually, I try to keep my bids in a formula: Bid+S&H=/~Spot. Yet unless i'm particularly lucky a/or smart, bids go full retard. Most of the time, people bid above spot, and figuring in the S&H, they're loosing money.

Yeah, I just can not see the winning bidders adhering to a stacker mentality. That is why major price drops create a lucrative vacuum to buy in and if prices uptick sufficiently, you can sell some on Ebay or CL to lower your stack's cost basis. I have found that coin roll searching is probably the best therapy vs. impulsive buying of SAEs or junk silver online. All you need is one major Santa find to make up for the time and gas money spent sorting and dumping.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rastatodd » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:32 pm

I use the same formula as cesariojpn. Just was doing a little US junk picking on eBay. Won a auction of 12 Roosies for .61 over spot. My winning bid I figured in shipping with my winning bid. I figured a additional nickel over spot per dime is something I can live with. But some people are bidding out of their heads. Go figure. :roll:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:33 am

Rastatodd wrote:I use the same formula as cesariojpn. Just was doing a little US junk picking on eBay. Won a auction of 12 Roosies for .61 over spot. My winning bid I figured in shipping with my winning bid. I figured a additional nickel over spot per dime is something I can live with. But some people are bidding out of their heads. Go figure. :roll:

As I type this, spot is 28.89. Tomorrow may be interesting in the markets with Kim Jong death. If this sucker gets down to low 20's time to get a roll of SAEs for gas money later on.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals