Security - safes

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Security - safes

Postby marblerye » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:08 pm

Hello Realcenters, I'm looking to upgrade my security with a quality gun safe for PM's. I know that security and anonymity are always sensitive topics here, but I'm wondering if anyone can assist me in selecting a good safe? I want something that can be bolted down to a concrete floor. I've read through a few buying guides online but would like to get an unbiased opinion or two.

My main questions/concerns:
1 - How much safe do I need?
2 - How much do I need to spend?
3 - Where's the best place to buy?

Thanks.
marblerye

Re: Security - safes

Postby db23 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:19 pm

marblerye wrote:Hello Realcenters, I'm looking to upgrade my security with a quality gun safe for PM's. I know that security and anonymity are always sensitive topics here, but I'm wondering if anyone can assist me in selecting a good safe? I want something that can be bolted down to a concrete floor. I've read through a few buying guides online but would like to get an unbiased opinion or two.

Thanks.

1. Impossible for us to answer. You should ask yourself how much you plan to store in it and that will help you find the answer.

2. You need to find the answer to question 1 before this can be answered.

3. See the answer to question 2.

Would you store $100,000 worth of valuables in a $20 safe? Would you store $20 worth of valuables in a $3,000 safe?
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Neckro » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:20 pm

Buy big, buy heavy, buy bolted to your floor. Buy one so you would never have to upgrade. I thought I would never fill mine up, I was wrong. 2-3k is reasonable to save you the heartache of theft.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:26 pm

Great thread going on about this at bullionstacker.com

http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6230
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby oober » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:31 pm

I would buy 2 safes. burglars are only looking for 1 safe, if they are able to get in to it, 100% of your stash is gone. 2 safes, one easy to find, but don't keep much in it and one well hidden where the bulk of the stash is is your best bet.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby marblerye » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:48 pm

db23 wrote:
marblerye wrote:Hello Realcenters, I'm looking to upgrade my security with a quality gun safe for PM's. I know that security and anonymity are always sensitive topics here, but I'm wondering if anyone can assist me in selecting a good safe? I want something that can be bolted down to a concrete floor. I've read through a few buying guides online but would like to get an unbiased opinion or two.

Thanks.

1. Impossible for us to answer. You should ask yourself how much you plan to store in it and that will help you find the answer.

2. You need to find the answer to question 1 before this can be answered.

3. See the answer to question 2.

Would you store $100,000 worth of valuables in a $20 safe? Would you store $20 worth of valuables in a $3,000 safe?

Yeah I understand it was somewhat vague but I didn't really want to get into specifics if I didn't have to. I'm less than 30 years old, only been stacking for about 1.5 years now but intend to continue so as long as I'm alive. I'm of the opinion that the banks and our financial system are run by criminals, so I don't want to keep much at the banks. Does that help?
marblerye

Postby hags » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:06 pm

The main problem being: I will very likely open my biggest, baddest, whiz-bang home safe with a gun to my head... or maybe even my wifes head.

Something to consider.....hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Neckro » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:10 pm

hags wrote:
The main problem being: I will very likely open my biggest, baddest, whiz-bang home safe with a gun to my head... or maybe even my wifes head.

If that's the situation, who says they'd stop at the safe, and not take everything from bank account. I got a safe for when I am not home. I got a gun for when I am home.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:23 pm

Neckro wrote:
hags wrote:

If that's the situation, who says they'd stop at the safe, and not take everything from bank account. I got a safe for when I am not home. I got a gun for when I am home.

Everyone says this but there are 1,000 ways someone can get in your home and surprise you before you get your gun.

For example, thief breaks in, waits for you.

Anyway, as I've told my wife, no matter what NEVER open the safe. If they will kill you if you don't open it, they will kill you if you do. And possibly by stuffing you or your child into the safe. That's the worst way to go.
barrytrot

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:16 pm

not in your house is best.

hidden in multiple places can be better than than locked up in one convenience place.

i understand that a lot of thieves will steal entire safes and take them home to crack open.

when i worked at domino's, they have a cylindrical floor safe. it was dug into the floor. now, a thief might eventually be able to break into that one but he's never going to be able to take it with them.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:not in your house is best.

hidden in multiple places can be better than than locked up in one convenience place.

i understand that a lot of thieves will steal entire safes and take them home to crack open.

when i worked at domino's, they have a cylindrical floor safe. it was dug into the floor. now, a thief might eventually be able to break into that one but he's never going to be able to take it with them.

The solution to the "thief takes the whole safe" thing is a small tracking device glued inconspicuously to the safe.

And, unlike other solutions that may actually lead to finding and capturing the thieves!
barrytrot

Postby slickeast » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:06 pm

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby BOHICA » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:00 pm

BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:11 pm

Neckro wrote:I got a gun for when I am home.

Can you have it pointed at the door before the splinters hit the ground? That means "carry at home".
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:52 pm

BOHICA wrote:Graffunder E Rated Safe. :shock:

http://www.graffundersafes.com/products ... eapon.html

the weakness of that safe is it can't be opened or likley moved without your help, so that bad guy breaks in and just waits for you to get home.

i would only put as much in that as i am comfortable giving up when a gun is pointed at my head.

also, how are you going to keep the neighbors from seeing it delivered/installed?

that is like a big sign that say, "I have valuables!"
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Fill the bottom with copper and nickel until you can fill it up with silver and gold. No thief is going anywhere with that gun safe if its full of copper.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby DirtyFingers » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:53 pm

I've always been as concerned about fire rating as well as security. Here's another website....

http://www.libertysafe.com/
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby texcollex » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:43 pm

DirtyFingers wrote:I've always been as concerned about fire rating as well as security. Here's another website....

The fire rated safes I've looked at also were heavier. That could be a plus.
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby RxForPain » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Costco had this one on sale with delivery included. At over 1000lbs/47cubic feet and a 70 min fire rating it is hard to beat.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... =C&topnav=
Last edited by RxForPain on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:12 pm

This should do it.... 8-)
Copper Catcher

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:35 pm

When you go to buy your next home, consider buying and remodeling an abandoned bank branch building instead. For the vault.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby DirtyFingers » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:45 pm

texcollex wrote:
DirtyFingers wrote:I've always been as concerned about fire rating as well as security. Here's another website....

The fire rated safes I've looked at also were heavier. That could be a plus.

+1

I've got one and they are heavier.
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby galenrog » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:47 pm

I vote for the Liberty Safes. As far a nationally marketed brands, they are the best, in my opinion. There are better safes out there, but they are made by smaller companies that are either regional or local. Two safes is better to keep the bad guys guessing. Bolting or welding to the floor is a must. Do a little research, buy the best you can afford, even if that is smaller than you would really like.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Mossy wrote:
Neckro wrote:I got a gun for when I am home.

Can you have it pointed at the door before the splinters hit the ground? That means "carry at home".

I always carry at home. Always....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Pennybug » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:54 pm

Having just been down this road within the past few months... I can offer you the following advice.

1) DON'T get it delivered! Find your most trusted friends/family and have them help. The fewer people knowing I have one... the better off I am.
2) BUY American! Look into Liberty Centennial series. Made in America. I just don't see me buying a foreign made safe. There is A LOT of reasons for that (ex: fire drywall used, steel used, construction, bolt location in or outside, not to mention I just don't see me placing my valuables in a foreign made safe).
3) If you can put it in a SMALL area... then add on fireboard in that room and go for a lower fire rating. To me... the mondo expensive safes are only needed if you are keeping it in the open and can't further assist the fire rating by room modifications and need the most security you can get due to visability. I have an EXTREMELY hidden safe in an EXTREMELY well reinforced area.
4) Buy the BIGGEST you can... but make it so where you can move it ok. I'd suggest not going over 700 lbs or so.
5) As for fire ratings... my bro is a fireman and he's seen several safes come through a fire before. He stated that the only real reason to get above the 30 min rated safes is if you are going to keep it in an area where it is likely to burn longer or hotter than the rest of the house would (ex: garage around chemicals, near a bunch of wood like a HUGE entertainment system). He said that if it's in a closet or something like that... then a 30 min rating will likely outlast any common housefire temps.

I'd store A LOT in my new safe (if I had it) simply because I have it fire reinforced and have put it in a location that eliminates it from being able to be pryed open or moved. The ONLY way to go in my safe is... through the front door and the lock!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals