Security - safes

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Security - safes

Postby barrytrot » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:03 pm

Pennybug wrote:Having just been down this road within the past few months... I can offer you the following advice.

1) DON'T get it delivered! Find your most trusted friends/family and have them help. The fewer people knowing I have one... the better off I am.

Does ANYONE here have an example of a safe-delivery guy being the harbinger to a burglary?
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby penny pretty » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:06 pm

ya all have seen those fake boxes of cereal or cans of shaving cream that are really things to store valuables in? my next invention is..the LAZYBOY safe! that recliner in the corner of your den is anything but! just pull the handle to reveal the hollow interior! what thief is gonna sit in a chair for awhile to think out his plan?? unless home invasion furniture thefts become a big thing, this is a winner.
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:20 pm

penny pretty wrote:ya all have seen those fake boxes of cereal or cans of shaving cream that are really things to store valuables in? my next invention is..the LAZYBOY safe! that recliner in the corner of your den is anything but! just pull the handle to reveal the hollow interior! what thief is gonna sit in a chair for awhile to think out his plan?? unless home invasion furniture thefts become a big thing, this is a winner.

Good idea. Can you also actually sit on it? If so, GREAT idea!
barrytrot

Postby MUTiger » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:05 am

DirtyFingers wrote:
texcollex wrote:
DirtyFingers wrote:I've always been as concerned about fire rating as well as security. Here's another website....

http://www.libertysafe.com/

The fire rated safes I've looked at also were heavier. That could be a plus.

+1

I've got one and they are heavier.

+1
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:41 am

Buy bank boxes from a foreclosed bank. Look for a used safe? Get a decent alarm system. Install cameras, hidden trail cameras. Hide the safe from everyone. Here is the best buying guide I have found so far, it covers a little different angle but you can learn allot from it.
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

Here is a good blog to learn from as well. http://www.safesblog.com/
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:17 am

I agree with the concept of splitting your stash into multiple locations. Anyone know where you can buy those banks that are disguised as a soup can or soda? All I could find under disguised piggy banks is the following:

Image :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby RxForPain » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:52 am

Amazon has a great selection of soda can safes.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... a+can+safe
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:02 am

I like those drop in floor safes surrounded by concrete. I picked up an Ike survivor safe this past summer....I would like to repaint and install a new lock...my spring project.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:22 pm

RxForPain wrote:Amazon has a great selection of soda can safes.

These wouldn't work for me since I drink my milk out of small safes.
barrytrot

Postby justj2k78 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:12 pm

To me, there's more to a safe then just the rating and how long it would take the entire Delta Force (including Chuck Norris) to break into it with rocket launchers and bunker busters. Personally, I don't want a giant safe. So I have a reasonable safe. It may not be the best, but I bet I could give you an hour in my house and the thief still wouldn't find it. But my dogs would find the thief. :twisted:
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cent1225 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:25 pm

One thing to consider is weight. If you put it in the house, make sure the floor joists can handle the weight or you may come home and find it in the basement along with part of your house!
Cent1225
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:29 pm

justj2k78 wrote:To me, there's more to a safe then just the rating and how long it would take the entire Delta Force (including Chuck Norris) to break into it with rocket launchers and bunker busters. Personally, I don't want a giant safe. So I have a reasonable safe. It may not be the best, but I bet I could give you an hour in my house and the thief still wouldn't find it. But my dogs would find the thief. :twisted:

Yeah... but ... your safe smells funny :o :lol:
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:35 pm

barrytrot wrote:

Those are perfect for what I want!!! Thanks for the link. My problem is I lose track of where I hid stuff. I misplaced a roll of 40 1910 BU German 20 Marks and a half roll of $2 1/2 Indians. I have been searching for them for days and can't remember what I did with them. :evil:
beauanderos

Postby justj2k78 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:46 pm

beauanderos wrote:
justj2k78 wrote:To me, there's more to a safe then just the rating and how long it would take the entire Delta Force (including Chuck Norris) to break into it with rocket launchers and bunker busters. Personally, I don't want a giant safe. So I have a reasonable safe. It may not be the best, but I bet I could give you an hour in my house and the thief still wouldn't find it. But my dogs would find the thief. :twisted:

Yeah... but ... your safe smells funny :o :lol:

No, to answer your repeated PMs, I will NOT send you "hundreds" of pictures of my safe "and others like it"! WTF???? :shock: :lol:
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby justj2k78 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:47 pm

beauanderos wrote:
barrytrot wrote:

Those are perfect for what I want!!! Thanks for the link. My problem is I lose track of where I hid stuff. I misplaced a roll of 40 1910 BU German 20 Marks and a half roll of $2 1/2 Indians. I have been searching for them for days and can't remember what I did with them. :evil:

Did you check yer ass? :lol:
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennybug » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:06 pm

barrytrot wrote:
Pennybug wrote:Having just been down this road within the past few months... I can offer you the following advice.

1) DON'T get it delivered! Find your most trusted friends/family and have them help. The fewer people knowing I have one... the better off I am.

Does ANYONE here have an example of a safe-delivery guy being the harbinger to a burglary?

I posted each one of those points for a specific reason.... so YEAH... I have an example! Came straight from the guy who sold me the safe (and it is known in the town... the dudes are still in jail for it). The store I got it from did not deliver safes directly... but they did have some local guys they were using to help deliver them (sub contractors). Well those dudes were giving out info on safe locations to some friends of theirs and they were hitting up those houses after about 6 months after they delivered them.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 am

Pennybug wrote:
barrytrot wrote:

I posted each one of those points for a specific reason.... so YEAH... I have an example! Came straight from the guy who sold me the safe (and it is known in the town... the dudes are still in jail for it). The store I got it from did not deliver safes directly... but they did have some local guys they were using to help deliver them (sub contractors). Well those dudes were giving out info on safe locations to some friends of theirs and they were hitting up those houses after about 6 months after they delivered them.

As I expected, any examples would correspond with jail time. Obviously it's going to be rare because "smart criminals", which is who you really need to worry about, aren't going to "poop where they eat". You have to "criss-cross" to get away with crimes.

Still, adding to your potential "enemies" isn't a good thing I agree. I'm not sure the solution to that other than doing your own heavy lifting, which not everyone can do, or wants to do :)
barrytrot

Postby misteroman » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:38 am

http://www.libertysafe.com/buy-a-safe-l ... pg-13.html
Here is mine. A tad expensive but hopefully worth it and hopefully never find out!
Now according to the website it weighs close to 900 lbs empty. I would assume it has to be around 1,500 or so now. is someone really going to be able to steal it? I know anything is doable but is it logical to think that?
misteroman

Postby Rastatodd » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:06 am

I am small time potatoes, compared to misteroman. I have been looking for a safe, I could afford. And we happen to be moving the printing company to a new site. The graphic designer came up to me and heard I was looking for a safe. He had a extra Sentry Safe F2300 they were not using and asked if I wanted it. It was made real well and was brand new. It is a $70 safe but is heavy and water proof and the key mechanism is well made. Now I must fine a hiding spot for it. This will due for now. For those that are looking for something affordable, look this one up online. I very pleased with mine.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BamaJoe » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:44 pm

I guess I'm just strange. I prefer the multiple location 6 feet under method. Only the wife, my brother and I know the locations.

I have to give my brother points for the best spot ever. 6 feet under a mud hole for 30 or so pigs/hogs.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:24 am

While there have been a lot of good ideas and methods of securing our valuables, no one method will work for everyone. Take the advice given here, toss out the cynicism, add some skepticism, and do what is best for your situation. Large safes of all types have a place, as do the small camouflaged safes, such as those disguised as vegetable or soup cans. Caches in multiple locations work out in many cases also.

Do what is best for your circumstances. If you buy a safe of any kind, please buy the best you can afford.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby bigjohn56 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:50 am

Often there are great deals to be had on used safes. They made a lot of Diebold CashGard TL-15 safes over the years and I've seen them used in good working order for $500. No non professional is going to open that safe. And with a little extra weight inside they would be very hard to move. The walls are 1" steel.
bigjohn56
Penny Sorter Member

Postby slickeast » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Get a TXTL-60 rated safe. A TL-15 could probably be opened with a large pry bar and a couple strong guys.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Chief » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Last week I ordered a Liberty Colonial 23 safe. I cannot wait until it arrives. Problem is it will probably be March before it arrives. As it has been said before, buy the best safe that you can afford. God bless all. :)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:35 pm

I have spent the last week looking at safes. DONT buy Sentry.
[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRTnJVwYkJs[/youtube]

I looked at the Fort Knox Gun safes. Very well made. Made in USA

DON'T buy any Made in China safes. They are made out of thin steel and easily opened
[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M[/youtube]

Liberty Safe Pry test
[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2EyFNCA ... re=related[/youtube]

TL-30 Rated safe
[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtbGUbeM ... re=related[/youtube]
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

PreviousNext