Almost at a Coinstar milestone

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Almost at a Coinstar milestone

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm just short of the 100,000 pennies dumped milestone at my favorite Coinstar machine. It's a machine at a local grocery store that offers the store's giftcard with a no-fee option. So far, all my attempts to dump zinc pennies to get the giftcard have resulted in the now familiar problem with the machine experiencing technical difficulties and issuing a cash voucher instead with no fees. The machine is even able to "phone home" and update the 'My Coinstar' info online. It's really surprising that it has gone on this long.

Coinstar.JPG
Coinstar.JPG (39.22 KiB) Viewed 540 times
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Almost at a Coinstar milestone

Postby tbram88 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:28 pm

Nice milestone,

My machine has had that problem once or twice. I wish the store had a gift card option.
Here's mine

I wonder who has the highest coinstar total for pennies?

All the best...Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:56 pm

Ouch!! Getting stuck with a 9.8% fee on $1,600 in coins sure must hurt. Time to find another machine.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby penny pretty » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:08 pm

how do you get a my coinstar account? never used it, but about to.plan to get fee free amazon gift card. TY for any info,
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:17 pm

go online to the coinstar website..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slara512 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:03 pm

hey guyz, do you find the coinstar machine to be very SLOW? my CU allows for no fee use for minor accounts :D. But I find it take a few minutes or so box and Ive had to spend as much as an hour dumping at the machine. Ive never dumped more than like $500 face.

is this the same for you guys, slow?
"Permit me to issue and control the money of the nation and I care not who makes its laws". — Mayer Amsched Rothchild, a prominent European banker in the eighteenth century

Be like the Rhino, pick a direction and CHARGE. Then after the dust settles, look and charge again.
slara512
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:14 pm

I don't want to even know how much I've dumped over time, hehe. I hope Coinstar is your only option, if not there are WAY faster machines out there. But if it's all you have, it's all you have....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby slara512 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:44 pm

there only one CU in my area that has a counting machine. no other banks or CU's that i know of have any. so yeah, unfortunately Coinstar (fee-less) is my only option other than depositing in rolls.
"Permit me to issue and control the money of the nation and I care not who makes its laws". — Mayer Amsched Rothchild, a prominent European banker in the eighteenth century

Be like the Rhino, pick a direction and CHARGE. Then after the dust settles, look and charge again.
slara512
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:06 am

slara512 wrote:hey guyz, do you find the coinstar machine to be very SLOW? my CU allows for no fee use for minor accounts :D. But I find it take a few minutes or so box and Ive had to spend as much as an hour dumping at the machine. Ive never dumped more than like $500 face.

is this the same for you guys, slow?

Yes, the Coinstar machine is pretty slow. Dumping $100 takes about 15 to 20 minues. But as long as the machine keeps acting up and giving me a cash voucher without a fee, I'll keep going there. I don't have a lot of other options for dumping at the banks I go to and the credit unions all charge a fee for members to use their coin counting machines.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slara512 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:35 pm

dang, so it might take 2-3 hours to dump $1000 in zincs. I sure wish would just take off toward $2/ lb and then I could just hoard zincs instead of taking them back. :)

slara512
Penny Sorter Member

Postby misteroman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:14 am

Im over 200,000 but no idea how to put it on a screen. And that total is since the end of nov. I never knew ya could keep track. Would have to say its around $5k for the year
misteroman

Postby mtldealer » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:50 am

When I first started dumping at my local coinstar I logged in to my account... I know this sounds paranoid but I didn't like the idea of them knowing who, when and how much I was dumping in their machine.
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby misteroman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:01 pm

misteroman

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:11 pm

mtldealer wrote:When I first started dumping at my local coinstar I logged in to my account... I know this sounds paranoid but I didn't like the idea of them knowing who, when and how much I was dumping in their machine.

Maybe it's just a coincidence but after starting this thread a few days ago, my latest dump at my favorite CoinStar machine actually worked like it was supposed to. It gave me the store giftcard. It didn't give me the no-fee cash voucher that I was getting used to. Is big brother watching me now?
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cent1225 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:40 pm

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:
mtldealer wrote: Is big brother watching me now?

BIG Brother has been watching since 1984 !
Cent1225
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing