owch! man dumps stolen coin collection into coin machine

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

owch! man dumps stolen coin collection into coin machine

Postby drummer55 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:16 pm

From my neck of the woods...

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Deputies ... 58663.html

According to a press release, deputies have recovered much of the stolen property but Johnson allegedly dumped the coin collection into a coin counting machine in Gresham and received about $450.
drummer55

Re: owch! man dumps stolen coin collection into coin machin

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Busted!!! HaHa!

Now the Police will hold those coins as evidence. How long, if ever, until the owner gets them back?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Opened the link and immediately thought something I shouldn't have about the man pictured. Lord, I apologize.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby woodyh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:25 pm

hope he gets what he deserves :evil: :!:
and that the collector gets his coins back
life is like a box of pennys , you never know what your gonna get
woodyh
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Do you live in Portland. I am in Medford. I think Oregon must have about twenty Realcenters. :mrgreen:
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby thedrifter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:30 pm

henrysmedford wrote:Do you live in Portland. I am in Medford. I think Oregon must have about twenty Realcenters. :mrgreen:

I am in Burns.
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:06 pm

Unfortunately with Oregon's budget woes and the fact it was a non-violent crime he will probably be out of jail in just months. :x
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:29 pm

try days. happened near gresham, not burns, where the perp would be likely to find himself at the wrong end of something that can cause great bodily harm.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:16 am

It made it to coinflation---- http://www.coinflation.com/

Snapz Pro XScreenSnapz017.jpg
Snapz Pro XScreenSnapz017.jpg (58.78 KiB) Viewed 677 times
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Silver Addict » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:02 am

Victim was the perp's father.
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:22 am

Silver Addict wrote:Victim was the perp's father.

Rare coins, other valuables recovered after Christmas theft from Corbett home
Published: Thursday, January 05, 2012, 10:13 PM Updated: Friday, January 06, 2012, 6:04 AM
A ring of Christmas thieves probably thought they had pulled off an lucrative heist when they broke into a shed in Corbett and made off with tools and two safes brimming with jewels, silver bricks and valuable coins.

They didn't count on a dogged detective, a determined victim, a helpful pawnshop database and a banker who knows coins.

On Thursday, Dan Johnson Sr., and assorted relatives and friends sat at tables in a Multnomah County Sheriff's Office auditorium in East Portland, sifting through more than 600 pounds of coins recovered from a Safeway CoinStar machine, trying to recreate a collection handed down from Johnson's father-in-law.

Meanwhile, deputies were searching for the 27-year-old suspected mastermind of the $50,000 theft: Dan Johnson Jr., the victim's son.

The younger Johnson is believed to be couch surfing somewhere in East County, said Detective Ken Yohe.

Yohe believes Johnson Jr. planned the break-in with two other men, hoping to steal tools. But he was surprised to find the safes, which he left to his cohorts, Yohe said.

View full sizeMultnomah County Sheriff
Dan Johnson Jr. is being sought be Multnomah County Sheriff's detectives in connection with a burglary at his father's home.
Before discovering the thefts on Christmas afternoon, Johnson Sr., 54, called to invite his namesake son to join the family for Christmas supper. When relatives discovered the outbuildings had been burgled, Dan Jr. feigned surprise, police said, and pointed the finger at a man police now believe was one of his partners.

Yohe ran the names of that suspect's known associates through RAPID, a pawnshop database. The man's girlfriend, who did not have a criminal record, showed up twice after pawning a long list of items that Johnson Sr.'s wife recognized as stolen.

When deputies showed up at the apartment the couple shared, they found a sack filled with four silver bricks, 1,400 silver half dollars and hundreds of silver dollars -- in the dryer – along with more evidence, Yohe said.

Faced with first-degree aggravated theft charges, the pair, who police aren't yet naming, agreed to cooperate and revealed a plot that sounds like the stuff of Hollywood crime comedy:

First, the man described opening the two 1.2-cubic foot safes and finding the unexpected bounty inside: Silver coins and silver bricks worth more than $20,000, jewelry worth $25,000 and roughly $7,000 in other coins and currency.

After unwrapping thousands of rolled of coins, the suspect said he and his cohorts took more than 50 pounds of them to a nearby Safeway store.

View full sizeRandy L. Rasmussen/The Oregonian
Among the old coins found by authorities after the burglary at the Johnson home in Corbertt were these rare nickels and pennies. One of the men involved in the theft later told detectives that many of the coins were run through a CoinStar machine; others were exchanged at a bank.
Not understanding the value of the coins, they ran them through a CoinStar machine, which spit out a voucher for $450. It also spit out all the silver coins – which the suspect then traded for bills at a Bank of America branch. That's when a bank employee picked up on the fact that the coins were old and silver and set them aside, which made it easy for police to later recover them.

Then, mistaking the diamonds and emeralds they found as fakes, they tossed them in a Dumpster. The rest went to pawn shops in Portland and Gresham.

Finally, the crooks burned savings bonds in the safe because they were in the victim's name.

"A lot of times in property cases, you're not going to recover property," said Yohe. "This time, we're finding stuff."

Fingers blackened by dirty coins, Yohe watched Dan Johnson Sr. and his close friends and relatives plow through shoeboxes of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters Thursday afternoon. They were searching for 1921 Indian cents, Mercury dimes, Buffalo nickels and Peace dollar coins.

One uncirculated nickel was worth about $3. A 1889 U.S. Morgan silver dollar with an "O" mint marking and little wear, could fetch nearly $50 from a collector. "Some were worth a couple hundred dollars apiece," said Johnson Sr.

"This was for the grandchildren," he said, turning over pennies to study the dates
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:47 am

Hopefully, with all that searching, he will find a few little bonuses...
Oh, and I bet he is so proud of his son. "This was for the grandchildren." Amen to that! Of course, if you give them to your son's kids, he might still steal them.
uthminsta

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:05 am

Coinstar doesn't accept silver so not sure what they are really looking to find by looking through the coins.....
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:42 am

highroller4321 wrote:Coinstar doesn't accept silver so not sure what they are really looking to find by looking through the coins.....

Among the old coins found by authorities after the burglary at the Johnson home in Corbertt were these rare nickels and pennies. One of the men involved in the theft later told detectives that many of the coins were run through a CoinStar machine; others were exchanged at a bank.
Not understanding the value of the coins, they ran them through a CoinStar machine, which spit out a voucher for $450. It also spit out all the silver coins – which the suspect then traded for bills at a Bank of America branch. That's when a bank employee picked up on the fact that the coins were old and silver and set them aside, which made it easy for police to later recover them.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:48 pm

THE ARTICLE wrote:[CoinStar] spit out all the silver coins – which the suspect then traded for bills at a Bank of America branch.

Which of these did you feel when you read that line:
A) all those uninformed people need to keep this up, so we can stack more!!!
or
B) oh man, all my stuff is probably from some punk stealing his dad's collection.
uthminsta

Postby slickeast » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:27 pm

highroller4321 wrote:Coinstar doesn't accept silver so not sure what they are really looking to find by looking through the coins.....

I do believe that the coinstar will accept 1909 s-vdb's and any other non-silver coin that has numismatic value.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:48 pm

According to a press release, deputies have recovered much of the stolen property but Johnson allegedly dumped the coin collection into a coin counting machine in Gresham and received about $450.

Does anyone else see the irony that this happened in a place named, "Gresham"?

Bad money drives out good.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby penny pretty » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:41 pm

read this on coinflation. now I want to stalk coinstar machines and offer to buy these fools coins!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:58 am

All of those people sitting there sorting the coins. Even the cops are in on it. What a waste of time. How about just paying Coinstar for the full 600 pounds and keeping them all. The machine should have the total face value already counted. Of course $450 of that big batch are already the victim's coins but there's got to be a better way to get that $450 back from the bad guys. One of them is his own son!!
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby uthminsta » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:45 pm

I know... if I was that man, I would be excited to look through all them myself, wouldn't you?!?
uthminsta

Postby Dinero2005 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Putting his coins in a SAFE kinda defeated the purpose when they just took the safe and probably used a crowbar or something to open it. How many of you have a safe and bolt it to the wall/ground?
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing