Comparator Power Supply?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Comparator Power Supply?

Postby Dinero2005 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:24 pm

OK, I admit it. I purchased a Chinese coin comparator to play around with a homemade sorter. It came with a power cord with a basic jack type plug in. I think I broke it so I decided to get a Coin Mechanisms Inc, CC-16D because I found a deal I couldn't refuse. I assumed it would have the same type connection which it doesn't. Where can I get a power supply for this? There's an inline 6 pin connection and it says 13VDC on the front. Obviously I need an AC to DC adapter but where the heck to I get one with that kind of connector? :oops:
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Comparator Power Supply?

Postby tinhorn » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Use a cell phone battery plug--the old-fashioned style. There was a store around here that was clearancing batteries for a buck apiece. I bought several at the time but now I can't find them; otherwise I'd send you one.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dinero2005 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:14 pm

tinhorn wrote:Use a cell phone battery plug--the old-fashioned style. There was a store around here that was clearancing batteries for a buck apiece. I bought several at the time but now I can't find them; otherwise I'd send you one.

Thanks Tinhorn. I have a couple of plugs (I assume you're referring to the plug that goes into the wall outlet) that are all 12 volts or less output. Do I need exactly 13 volts? When I find one, which of the 6 pins do I attach it to? The other one was just plug and play. This one I'm feeling like I got in over my head. If I can't get it going somebody is going to get a good deal on a comparitor.
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:12 pm

tinhorn wrote:Use a cell phone battery plug--the old-fashioned style. There was a store around here that was clearancing batteries for a buck apiece. I bought several at the time but now I can't find them; otherwise I'd send you one.

New Ride? :lol:
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tinhorn » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:47 am

Dinero2005 wrote:

Thanks Tinhorn. I have a couple of plugs (I assume you're referring to the plug that goes into the wall outlet) that are all 12 volts or less output. Do I need exactly 13 volts? When I find one, which of the 6 pins do I attach it to? The other one was just plug and play. This one I'm feeling like I got in over my head. If I can't get it going somebody is going to get a good deal on a comparitor.

Actually I was referring to the plug that goes into the six-pins connector on the comparitor. If you need to connect more than two pins, then you'll need to use two plugs and connect the wires.

VWBEAMER gave instructions in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4741

Coin Mechanisms has 12-volt and 13-volt models. I'm no electronics wiz, so if a manufacturer calls for 12.25 volts and 685 milliamps at 72 degrees Fahrenheit under a waning moon, that's exactly what I use. Have you checked eBay for a power supply?
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dinero2005 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for the link. I've actually read that thread but I didn't connect the dots regarding the power part. Mostly because I had a comparitor with power supply so I skipped over that part initially.

I haven't spent too much time looking on ebay because I wasn't 100% sure what I was looking for. Now I have a direction and at this point I think I can get what I need. I might even drive to Radio Shack because I'm not sure I have the patience for ebay. Thanks for all the help guys.
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Dinero2005 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:08 pm

Thanks for the input. With a little help from some folks on here, my ebay seller and Coin Mechanisms, inc. I was able to put together a 12 VDC, 300 mA power supply. CMI emailed me the specs which clearly states 12 VDC input and a max draw of 250 mA. With a little research and some basic electronics classes 20 years ago I determined that voltage must be specific but it's ok to be over on amperage.

I hope this helps the next hoarder that wants to attempt this. If anybody wants a copy of the spec sheet for the CC-16 PM me and I'll be happy to forward the email.

HH

Dinero
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Postby getdong » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:55 am

Just a tip for you guys thinking of making your own. You can buy better quality comparitors for cheaper prices from some vending machine parts supply companies online. They are better quality than the chinese ones and I've found some cheaper as well.
getdong
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Dinero2005 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 am

getdong wrote:Just a tip for you guys thinking of making your own. You can buy better quality comparitors for cheaper prices from some vending machine parts supply companies online. They are better quality than the chinese ones and I've found some cheaper as well.

What he said. I learned my lesson the hard way. Believe it or not, the spec sheet I got from CMI said right at the top that the CC-16 model is designed special for Ryedale Coin. How much more do you need to know?
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing