Who will buy bullion pennies?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Who will buy bullion pennies?

Postby knibloe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:29 pm

I have been wondering lately:

When the melt ban is lifted and I have several tons of pennies to dispose of who will buy them. How will the scrap yard know to trust me when I say that they are all copper?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Re: Who will buy bullion pennies?

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:02 pm

You can sell them to a scrap yard. The copper in the coins is standardized, so they have nothing to fear.

Here is a tip: Never let them unload your scrap metal unless you know exactly how much per pound/ per ton they are going to pay for it first.

I learned that the hard way, I had almost a ton of scrap copper metal flashings in my trailer. I phoned ahead and was told they would pay so much.... only to have them tell me the price dropped while I was being unloaded!! :shock: I got clipped for about $600 :evil: :twisted:

Better yet, sell them to other people who will be searching for copper "bullion" cents. Most likely you will fetch a higher price that way.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:30 pm

The only thing that I was thinking is: How do they know they have been sorted correctly and that I didn't mix in some zinc for the heck of it. They are not going to check the dates on every single coin. What will make it easy for them to want to accept the coins?

Also, for $600 I would have reloaded the whole load.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:50 pm

I wouldn't be supprised to someday see a cash for pennies outfit that travels around with volume sorters setting up in hotel lobbys.

Sound crazy.......think again.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:24 pm

If there is true concern, they can simply run them through a high-speed counter to get a count, weigh them, do the math. Pass or fail. Fast, cheap, and accurate. They could also run a quick random sample through a comparitor, and if more than 1 zinc in 1000 pops out, reject the batch. Etc. I don't see this as a problem.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby theo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 pm

I don't know that it will be necessary to melt them all. Copper pennies (and CuNi Nickels) could be used for small transactions and to make change in a post-fiat economy.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:09 pm

I was just wondering. I am sure that once you prove that you have a good product, they will take them, but there will need to be some method of proving that they are pure.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:You can sell them to a scrap yard. The copper in the coins is standardized, so they have nothing to fear.

Here is a tip: Never let them unload your scrap metal unless you know exactly how much per pound/ per ton they are going to pay for it first.

I learned that the hard way, I had almost a ton of scrap copper metal flashings in my trailer. I phoned ahead and was told they would pay so much.... only to have them tell me the price dropped while I was being unloaded!! :shock: I got clipped for about $600 :evil: :twisted:

Better yet, sell them to other people who will be searching for copper "bullion" cents. Most likely you will fetch a higher price that way.

I spoke to my scrap yard supervisor on my last scrap run.

He said 'it is illegal as hell' to scrap Canadian cents and he would not touch even obosolete coins.

They are doing fine with steel and base metal scrap. He wanted no part of it.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cupronickel » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:42 pm

I think that in the future, they will be more valuable as coins than as scrap.
I think a market will develop (it is already) and you will simply sell them to a coin dealer or to
another collector.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby DebtFreeMe » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:31 am

A question I've been thinking about is; if the penny is removed from general circulation, and the law on melting pennies is removed, don't you think that the treasury itself will melt as much of its own stock in pennies that it can, and flood the copper market with this supply of "new" copper, thus collapsing the price of copper?

Wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this...
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:45 am

knibloe wrote:The only thing that I was thinking is: How do they know they have been sorted correctly and that I didn't mix in some zinc for the heck of it. They are not going to check the dates on every single coin. What will make it easy for them to want to accept the coins?

Also, for $600 I would have reloaded the whole load.

They had separated the load into three different sections of the yard based upon the condition the metal was in. Much of it had solder on it, some had some roofing tar on it, some was clean. It was mixed in with all the others and it would have been time consuming to sort it back out. That was back when my telephone was ringing off the hook and I had about 8 months in contracts ahead of me running four crews. I needed the trailer for other projects. (That sure ain't the way it is now.)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:53 am

I remember Hoard posting a comment about talking to a scrap yard owner before the melt ban. The guy didn't know the law and was reluctant to take the coins. After the ban, the man told Hoard he had been right and wished he took HCBTT up on his offer.

I spoke to the Prez of the largest scrap company in my region about it. This was August of 2008. The man was converting as much FRN into PM's as he could. When I told him about people hoarding brass cents for the day the melt ban is lifted.... he just looked at me like I was crazy. Didn't say a word.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Copper_Baron » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:01 am

knibloe wrote:I have been wondering lately:

When the melt ban is lifted and I have several tons of pennies to dispose of who will buy them. How will the scrap yard know to trust me when I say that they are all copper?

Who will but copper pennies? The same kind of people that buy old junk silver coins. It will not be done at a scrap yard. You will need to sell online, ebay, etc.. or to a dealer who is willing to handle the volume. The "size" of transactions is the only difference between "junk silver" now and "junk copper" in the future. But I'm sure there will be guys out there willing to take it off your hands (as long as the price of copper is at or higher than it is today)
Copper_Baron

Postby NiBullionCu » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:29 am

Jackson Metals

They were sorting and melting prior to the ban.

They lobbied for an exemption and didn't get one.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2007/11 ... t_ban.html

Jackson Metals believes it can make a profit and save the U.S. Mint more than $18 million annually through a plan to sift through roughly 5 billion pennies a year and cull high-copper-content coins...

While it waits for a verdict on its plan to pinch pennies from pennies, Jackson Metals has kept its workers busy combing through Canadian nickels to find coins minted between 1946 and 1981 that were made of pure nickel and are currently worth 14.3 U.S. cents.

They've also been sorting through $14 million worth of half-dollar coins from throughout the country to cull silver coins made before 1964.

Note: article is from November of 2007
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:05 pm

NiBullionCu wrote:Jackson Metals

They were sorting and melting prior to the ban.

They lobbied for an exemption and didn't get one.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2007/11 ... t_ban.html

Jackson Metals believes it can make a profit and save the U.S. Mint more than $18 million annually through a plan to sift through roughly 5 billion pennies a year and cull high-copper-content coins...

While it waits for a verdict on its plan to pinch pennies from pennies, Jackson Metals has kept its workers busy combing through Canadian nickels to find coins minted between 1946 and 1981 that were made of pure nickel and are currently worth 14.3 U.S. cents.

They've also been sorting through $14 million worth of half-dollar coins from throughout the country to cull silver coins made before 1964.

Note: article is from November of 2007

"I think we've recovered the last of the silver coins," says Luhrman. "Our process is very thorough."

Doesnt seem to be the case...silver is still out there.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypanner » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:11 pm

I found a 64 Ken this mornin'.
pennypanner

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:11 pm

We'll be able to load up shipping containers of copper pennies and send them to China. Ready market there.

Even if every copper penny ever made was scrapped in one month (highly unrealistic) there are not enough copper pennies to impact the spot price of copper.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:00 pm

DebtFreeMe wrote:A question I've been thinking about is; if the penny is removed from general circulation, and the law on melting pennies is removed, don't you think that the treasury itself will melt as much of its own stock in pennies that it can, and flood the copper market with this supply of "new" copper, thus collapsing the price of copper?

Wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this...

I doubt the treasury has any stock of copper pennies. They stopped making them 30 years ago. If anyone has a huge stock of pennies it would be the Federal Reserve and those would just be recent 2010 and 2011 zincs.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby xpred558 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:56 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:You can sell them to a scrap yard. The copper in the coins is standardized, so they have nothing to fear.

Yep as soon as they told me the price dropped thats when they would be putting it right back on the truck.
xpred558

Postby DebtFreeMe » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:19 pm

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:
I doubt the treasury has any stock of copper pennies. They stopped making them 30 years ago. If anyone has a huge stock of pennies it would be the Federal Reserve and those would just be recent 2010 and 2011 zincs.

I'm not saying they do have a stock of them, but wouldn't they or the Fed be in a position to purchase high speed sorters and start doing what we're doing, only on an industrial basis. Since most coinage will probably float through the banking system at one time or another throughout the year, they could quickly pull a large amount of the copper out of the system.

Also, what has happened to the supply of the copper pennies over the years? Have so many "new" pennies been created, that 80% of the current in circulation stock are all new money? Or, is it that they have been getting pulled out of circulation to melt down and make zinc pennies? I can't imagine that most of the copper pennies have been destroyed or lost over the years.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:34 pm

"I think we've recovered the last of the silver coins," says Luhrman. "Our process is very thorough."

Um.. I think I recover as much as people dump back into the machine counters at the banks... lol
As long as they don't melt it I will always be pulling silver out of boxes and bags...

Pennies... I'm stacking just as fast as I can carry them back to the back and get more.... I hope I have a few more years to stack before things really get out of hand or it is over.....
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing