silver eagles on ebay vs new silver from kitco

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

silver eagles on ebay vs new silver from kitco

Postby s3p2 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:17 pm

I've been buying up some silver eagles and morgans on ebay. I just went on the kitco site and realized I can get an oz of silver for about $2 over spot. Given this, why do people buy ASE's on ebay for upwards of $40?
s3p2

Re: silver eagles on ebay vs new silver from kitco

Postby s3p2 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Ok. Maybe more like $4 over spot.
s3p2

Postby tbram88 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Kitco has a minimum order of $2,500

People pay some crazy prices on Ebay, my LCS has SAE's for $1.50 over spot + tax all the time.

They had two (painted) ones today for $31.00 + tax. I got a nice Prospector for $31

All the best...Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby s3p2 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Hmm. I had no idea of the minimum order, just saw the buy price of $33 and some change. Wish I had a coin or silver dealer close. Im in a pretty small town and ebay seems to be the easiest option.
s3p2

Postby Engineer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:47 pm

s3p2 wrote:Hmm. I had no idea of the minimum order, just saw the buy price of $33 and some change. Wish I had a coin or silver dealer close. Im in a pretty small town and ebay seems to be the easiest option.

APMEX is pretty good, and I've heard good things about Gainesville Coins.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby nero12345 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:53 pm

I had a guy the other day tell me his price of $38 was the best i was gonna find from any dealer. He wasn't happy with this website i sent him to prove him wrong.
http://www.atlanticgoldsilver.ca/#products.php. They charge to ship but hey, doesn't everyone. I go to moncton alot for work so its great, saves me the shipping. Oh and there's no minimum from this guy, mind you i never by just one.

I was gonna stay away for awhile Jack, but can't help myself. :lol:
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:13 pm

Engineer wrote:
s3p2 wrote:Hmm. I had no idea of the minimum order, just saw the buy price of $33 and some change. Wish I had a coin or silver dealer close. Im in a pretty small town and ebay seems to be the easiest option.

APMEX is pretty good, and I've heard good things about Gainesville Coins.

This. Gainesville is less expensive for smaller bullion coin purchases than Apmex. However, Apmex does take personal checks, Gainesville does not.

Please don't waste your money on Feebay.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby marine70 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:18 am

I will be going tomorrow to pick up 10 eagles at my local coin store. I do business with him all the time he is selling me 2012 at $34 each which I think is a good deal. He kept the price at 34 for me. He said anyone else it would be 35 or depending on the spot. This coin shop does not advertise,and is very small but his business is booming. He can not keep 90% in his shop.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hades12 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:30 am

I am in a small town and I buy from the jewelery store. He sales to me at melt and I can pick out whatever is in the bucket. some times morgans and ASE and sometimes just broken silverware.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Silver Addict » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:32 am

goldmart.com is one of the cheapest places for buying bullion, both gold and silver. Where else can you buy gold buffalos for $59.99 over spot all day long? I think silver eagles can be had for around $3 over spot at last check.

if you're looking for small lots, forget ebay, check out the buy/sell/trade threads at bullionstacker
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby PeacePeople » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:38 am

Silver Addict wrote:goldmart.com is one of the cheapest places for buying bullion, both gold and silver. Where else can you buy gold buffalos for $59.99 over spot all day long? I think silver eagles can be had for around $3 over spot at last check.

if you're looking for small lots, forget ebay, check out the buy/sell/trade threads at bullionstacker

^^^^this^^^^

Why on earth are you wasting your time on ebay? It's a joke for buying bullion, seriously. Honestly, I'd buy from apmex before I'd take a chance on ebay, and before them I'ld try gainesville, provident, and goldmart. Heck, I'd even take my chances at bullion direct nucleo before navigating the silty waters of ebay.
PeacePeople
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Double3 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:21 am

Can't go wrong with Goldmart.
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:09 pm

I like provident metals as well as AMPEX which seems to get a little more premium though.

Watch the forums on here There are some decent deals from time to time. I just bought some junk silver this past weekend at spot which takes out the middle man. Helps both buyer and seller.
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby No82s » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Why buy Eagles at all? I think Maples are a much better deal and they are $5 face compared to $1.
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby jasmatk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Im sure if you posted a WTB add on this site someone will sell you some silver at a good price.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Colonel_Copper » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:31 pm

No82s wrote:Why buy Eagles at all? I think Maples are a much better deal and they are $5 face compared to $1.

I look at enough old ugly women as it is...
On the other hand, Lady Liberty is hot :D
Colonel_Copper

Postby penny pretty » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:18 pm

AYDIN! aydin sells on ebay, but got to site. low spot. free shipping with $100 order(BIG equalizer) no tax(APNEX charges tax and shipping) no credit card fee!!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby penny pretty » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:19 pm

go to website, sorry miss spelled
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:09 am

tbram88 wrote:Kitco has a minimum order of $2,500

I think that minimum is specifically for the pool accounts, even there smaller trades are
allowed but they slap on a fee. I guess they noticed they were devoting too much labour
to micro day-traders. ^_-

They do have a minimum $30 shipping charge so the "cost with shipping" doesn't get
cheaper than Ebay/local supplier until you reach a certain order size. Ordering 100
ounces the shipping isn't too big of a deal but on a few ounces it's rather expensive
per ounce.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:01 pm

penny pretty wrote:AYDIN! aydin sells on ebay, but got to site. low spot. free shipping with $100 order(BIG equalizer) no tax(APNEX charges tax and shipping) no credit card fee!!

I checked out AYDIN on ebay and there is a profile but it doesn't have any feedback associated with it.

If you can post a link I am always interested in checking someone out! ("checking someone out is subject to your interpretation" ;) :D
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BullionStar » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:21 am

The premiums on eBay do bounce about. When Gold and Silver get hot, the premiums can get driven up.

I think people like it for the Buyer protections, plus there is always the chance to bag a deal through "make offer" or just by spoting something that is mis described or badly photographed.

That is why we developed http://bullionsupermarket.com to track Gold and Silver premiums on eBay to help me personally with my eBay purchases, then I opened it up in 2008 to users. We're currently in the middle of a big rework and bringing loads more vendors on line to sit alongside the ebay stock.
Search for Cheapest Physical Gold, Silver and Platinum Prices at BullionSupermarket.com

If you don't hold it, you don't own it...
BullionStar

Postby 97guns » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:35 am

PeacePeople wrote:
Silver Addict wrote:goldmart.com is one of the cheapest places for buying bullion, both gold and silver. Where else can you buy gold buffalos for $59.99 over spot all day long? I think silver eagles can be had for around $3 over spot at last check.

^^^^this^^^^

Why on earth are you wasting your time on ebay? It's a joke for buying bullion, seriously. Honestly, I'd buy from apmex before I'd take a chance on ebay, and before them I'ld try gainesville, provident, and goldmart. Heck, I'd even take my chances at bullion direct nucleo before navigating the silty waters of ebay.

i buy on ebay ALL THE TIME, just added 5 eagles under $35 over the weekend. if i were to buy 5 eagles at apmex im looking at $40 a pop with shipping, even more if i use a credit card. credit cards are free to use on ebay
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Double3 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:41 am

97guns wrote:
PeacePeople wrote:

^^^^this^^^^

i buy on ebay ALL THE TIME, just added 5 eagles under $35 over the weekend. if i were to buy 5 eagles at apmex im looking at $40 a pop with shipping, even more if i use a credit card. credit cards are free to use on ebay

How much time did you spend on ebay finding that though?
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby 97guns » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:43 am

none at all, woke up saturday morning and ran an immediate search, there were 6 of them sitting on the table, missed out on one of them
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby dannan14 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Nice score. i've yet to see an ASE for less than $38 (inc shipping) on eBay. i'm actually trying out a strategy to buy 1 gram bars for as small a premium as possible with the intention of flipping them later for larger premiums when spot is much higher.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals