How do you store your collection?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: How do you store your collection?

Postby TXBullion » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:43 pm

i think small flat rate boxes only fit 15-17$ max at capacity right?
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby DebtFreeMe » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:10 pm

For those that requested pictures, here you go.
Attachments
penny_2.png
penny_2.png (123.37 KiB) Viewed 616 times
penny_1.png
penny_1.png (131.56 KiB) Viewed 616 times
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby agmoose » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Wheats are all rolled by decades. BU's separated and rolled by decade as well. A couple times a year, I separate those and roll by year, mintmark, etc. Those are all in ammo cans.

All the other coppers are in 2.5 gallon rubbermaid tubs that stack neatly.

Any unique coins or errors are put in flips.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cupronickel » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:32 pm

I bought the $50 two handled bags. They seem pretty durable.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:35 pm

DebtFreeMe wrote:For those that requested pictures, here you go.

from what i can tell, that is not a small flat rate box but just a priority mail box
TXBullion

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:46 pm

TXBullion wrote:

from what i can tell, that is not a small flat rate box but just a priority mail box

From http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1757&hilit=+smallThe Most Cents You Ever Got Into a Small Flat Rate Box?

We tried and stuffed a small rate and--
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:08 pm

TXBullion wrote:

I should add if you are looking for a free storage box that great but if you ship it it will cost you if it is not a flat rate box if you get a few zones out.If you were shipping wheats a small flat rate box would not eat into the profit.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby DebtFreeMe » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi all,

I was a little scared there for a minute, so I pulled out one of my blocks that the seal had failed on, cut it open and recounted it. I was off by 75 cents, so I added the 75 cents and re-sealed it, for a total of $25.

Here are new pictures of that block, along with the box that my wife uses for shipping her business stuff all the time, which the post office charges her a flat rate of $5.20. The box dimensions are 8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8" here is the link for this flat rate box at the USPS so you can see that they are the same flat rate box https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... c=10001641

Once I put the pennies into the box I shake them to get them to settle, and the fit just fine.
Attachments
new-box2.png
new-box2.png (127.87 KiB) Viewed 566 times
new-box.png
new-box.png (135.23 KiB) Viewed 566 times
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:47 pm

DebtFreeMe wrote:Hi all,

I was a little scared there for a minute, so I pulled out one of my blocks that the seal had failed on, cut it open and recounted it. I was off by 75 cents, so I added the 75 cents and re-sealed it, for a total of $25.

Once I put the pennies into the box I shake them to get them to settle, and the fit just fine.

So it is time to get a vacuum packer. What are you using. And to get the blocks the right size are the pre-made bags.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby DebtFreeMe » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:52 pm

I found the issue after searching around the USPS web site.

This is a bigger box than the traditional flat rate box, But.... Our post office actually uses this as the flat rate box, so yay for us.

Thanks all.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dagger75 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:46 am

Nice one DebtFreeMe, I think i'm gonna have to look into vacuum packing too. Nice compact storage, airtight, and no coins to jingle around when moved. Only 17 lbs is a plus in my book since I already have a bad back :? Do you have any recommendations on an affordable Vacuum sealer and bags? Or anyone else for that matter, have any equipment suggestions? I plan on looking into it but just curious if anyone has had good luck with certain equipment and storage bags.

It is really cool seeing everyones way of dealing with their accumulated Copper hoards. I've only been hand sorting for 7-8 months using 1 gallon heavy-weight plastic juice bottles and recently starting using canvas bank bags. I'm always on the lookout for better ways to accommodate my growing stash. Fun topic!
Dagger75

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:44 pm

DebtFreeMe wrote:I found the issue after searching around the USPS web site.

This is a bigger box than the traditional flat rate box, But.... Our post office actually uses this as the flat rate box, so yay for us.

Thanks all.

Interesting idea, but I can tell you it wouldn't fly here - my local PO would either reject the box or charge postage due on the non-flat price, no matter what your PO thought of it.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Coinage » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:47 pm

I was debating about re-rolling my copper cents. Is there any other way to get a professional machine crimped look other than buying a Klopp CR-1 or CR-4 that can run a few hundred bucks?

But after seeing DebtFreeMe's pictures vacuum sealing doesn't seem a bad idea at all. With the packing being airtight I could store my cents in the basement without worrying about the nasty green stuff growing. I'm definitely with Dagger75 here with any equipment suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Coinage

Postby Dagger75 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:58 pm

[quote="Coinage"]I was debating about re-rolling my copper cents. Is there any other way to get a professional machine crimped look other than buying a Klopp CR-1 or CR-4 that can run a few hundred bucks?

I've never used these crimpers but for $10.95 it may be worth a shot http://www.ebay.com/itm/Twist-N-Crimp-Coin-Roll-Crimper-Shotgun-Tubes-/310368264628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484363e1b4#ht_500wt_922
Dagger75

Postby DebtFreeMe » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:28 pm

We live in a rather rural area, so I don't think our post office folks care too much about much of anything.

I actually use the Food Saver as my vacuum sealer, and the 11" bags. I make them about 12" long and they work like a dream. I love the food saver, its great for storing meat, and now it works very well for storing my investment.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:29 pm

How much do the bags cost?
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DebtFreeMe » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:29 pm

Two FoodSaver brand 16 foot rolls of the 11" is $20 at Walmart, but you can get generic rolls of 11" that are 50 foot long on Amazon for $20 shipped. I think I'm going to buy a roll of that for my pennies, and use the FoodSaver bags for my food.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:41 am

DebtFreeMe wrote:I found the issue after searching around the USPS web site.

Thanks all.

Not trying to question you or challenge you but, have you shipped anything in the larger boxes that was heavy....Like a box of pennies vaccumed packed?? MY first thought was that they were charging the 5.20 not for the "flat rate" fee but because that's the minimal amount that can be charged on a package such as that particular box when shipping priority (light weight shipments). I'm not quite sure what the maximum weight is before the Priority fee goes up from 5.20 in non flat rate priority mail boxes. I would be scared to ship it in this box as it may be returned due to insufficient postage ??? Whatever the case may be that's pretty cool if it slides through if it really is accepted as Flat rate.

Scotty
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:25 am

See my related comment above on use of this box as Flat Rate
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby DebtFreeMe » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:19 pm

Well, I went to a post office in town today and got the actual flat rate box. I'm able to make $20 bricks , so I think I'll do that from now on, in case I want to start selling my copper and shipping it.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mtl325 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:18 am

Great ideas re: food saver and $20 bricks in small flat rate. I have some organizing to do this weekend as I just put mine back into bank boxes.
Mtl325

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:03 pm

I have been using the "seal a meal" brand sealer for a few years know to package all my rabbits and deer meat, I just started using it for pennies a few months ago. I actually prefer the "off" brand bags called Rival that Walmart sells, they are made in the USA and feel thicker to me. The foodsaver brand bags are made in Korea
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:19 pm

stonewallrabbitry wrote:I have been using the "seal a meal" brand sealer for a few years know to package all my rabbits and deer meat, I just started using it for pennies a few months ago. I actually prefer the "off" brand bags called Rival that Walmart sells, they are made in the USA and feel thicker to me. The foodsaver brand bags are made in Korea

Rival is actually a "name brand" in its own right that - as a company - existed well before Walmart was founded. Probably less well known for this appliance than Foodsaver, given the ad budgets of each.
68Camaro

Postby fasteddy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:27 pm

I vacuumed sealed 6 five pound bags a year ago for long term storage test. stored in a five gallon bucket in the garage that is somewhat air conditioned in the summer...only one is still vacuumed sealed, the others gave up. I use a game saver sealer.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:15 pm

fasteddy wrote:I vacuumed sealed 6 five pound bags a year ago for long term storage test. stored in a five gallon bucket in the garage that is somewhat air conditioned in the summer...only one is still vacuumed sealed, the others gave up. I use a game saver sealer.

Only way to keep stuff sealed long term (especially outside the freezer) is to use metallized (mil-spec style) bags. The plain plastic will just pass moisture, eventually - the thinner the bag the faster.
68Camaro

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing