Getting pennies from banks - Asking tellers to save rolls

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Getting pennies from banks - Asking tellers to save rolls

Postby Tuprox » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:27 am

Greetings,

I am new to this penny saving thing and am doing it with spare time. I recently got a number of rolls from my banks, $25 worth, and when I got them home I found that 7 rolls were wheat pennies, each roll was all a single year, 1921, 1920, 1937, 1928 and some rolls from 1960 (2 rolls), 1961 & 1963. Some of these pennies are in VERY good condition while others are pretty poor but there is a wide variety in each roll.

Has this type of thing ever happened to anyone else?

I am thinking about asking the tellers if they could keep all the penny rolls that come in a separate location. I can then pick them up every few days. IDK if they will do this, does anyone have any suggestions on how to convince them to do it?

Thanks!
Tuprox

Re: Getting pennies from banks - Asking tellers to save roll

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:06 am

Chocolate! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:28 pm

Tuprox wrote:Greetings,

I am new to this penny saving thing and am doing it with spare time. I recently got a number of rolls from my banks, $25 worth, and when I got them home I found that 7 rolls were wheat pennies, each roll was all a single year, 1921, 1920, 1937, 1928 and some rolls from 1960 (2 rolls), 1961 & 1963. Some of these pennies are in VERY good condition while others are pretty poor but there is a wide variety in each roll.

Has this type of thing ever happened to anyone else?

I am thinking about asking the tellers if they could keep all the penny rolls that come in a separate location. I can then pick them up every few days. IDK if they will do this, does anyone have any suggestions on how to convince them to do it?

Thanks!

Congrats on the finds. The first thing you need to do is go back to that same bank and try to get all their penny rolls. It is very uncommon to get solid wheat rolls so you need to try to snag everyone that they have,

It should be pretty easy to convince the tellers to hold out rolls for you. The key is making sure that you have a different dump bank and the tellers know that if they are giving you coin you will not be bringing it back to them. Also as hoard said chocolate helps too ;)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Elcid69 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:54 pm

My teller saved me rolls for a week, got 2 boxes - happened to be someone else's dump
I want to buy " War Nickel's & Steel Pennies"
Elcid69
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:03 pm

Solid wheats, nice! I thought I had a nice score today with 25 solid rolls of AU 73's but wheats take the cake. I agree, you should go back with some sort of goodies and try to get the rest of what they have there. Heck, I would ask for all the customer rolled stuff!! If someone dumped solid wheats, there is a chance there might be solid rolls of silver dimes, halves and so on.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing